Self Done mock draft Fanspeak site

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

That time of year, and I went with fanspeak to do a mock draft of guys I like at need positions. First thing I did was a Ted Thompson classic draft taking the best player available and ended up with a bunch of guys I'm not sure Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have heard of either! Second draft I did I picked based on need. Now because other teams picked before me in each round, I didn't always get the guy I wanted. And in the late rounds once needs were covered I picked up guys I liked at positions we could use help at for depth purposes so here is what I came up with.

14: Josh Allen QB Wyoming 6'5 240. Saw him play Iowa early last year, had nothing with him and didn't play great. BIG kid, when he's rolling out he looks like Elway. Do worry just the tiniest bit that he might have the same mobility as Bernie Kosar. Sidebar: Not gonna lie I took him cause Mason Rudolph was off the board at 14, and Rudolph is the best fit for the Packers.

45: Isaiah Wynn G Georgia 6'2 300 pounds. Saw him play Auburn this year, blocking for Georgia's awesome running game. Kid is a road grader, Barry Sanders couldn't do anything without a great O-Line. We proved last year we need to improve here, at least from a depth perspective.

76: DJ Moore WR Maryland 5'11 215 pounds. We know Cobb is gone very soon, we don't know if Allison is gonna be slotted as the next Jordy the next Cobb or the next 3. Hopefully Allison is a good 2, and Moore can be that good 3rd WR our offense needs to succeed.

114: CB QUENTON MEEKS Stanford 6'2 197. Big corner not as big as King, but also not Terrell Buckley either. Closer to King. Could potentially play opposite King, or be the Nickel early I think. I think we all agree we don't really have either right now.

133: TE TROY FUMAGALLI WISCONSIN 6'6 248. Jermichael Finley sized anyone? Admitted while drafting I was hoping for Gesicke out of Penn State but he was taken. Fumagalli will slide despite being the best or 2nd best TE in the Big Ten due to having a finger amputated as a baby. Honestly though guys I saw him do more with 9 fingers than our TEs did with 10.

150: G K.J. MALONE LSU 6'4 298. Again, we need guard/interior line help. Can he slide to Center if Linsley gets hurt maybe. Played in the SEC and blocked for two of the top 5 backs to come out of the SEC in the last 2 years.

172: WR DAURICE FOUNTAIN NORTHERN IOWA 6'2 210. Saw this kid at one of the Senior Bowls impressive until he pulled a hamstring. IMO probably projects to a bit of a diva which GB can fix, and probably ends up being a better pick than DJ Moore.

174: OT TOBY WEATHERSBY LSU 6'5 292. Ok for starters get this man a couple double cheeseburgers. We need him up to Bakhtiari's size and he's about 10 pounds short of that. Truly I looked at our team, realized Bulaga is becoming an injury concern and wanted to have insurance for that eventuality, and I don't think the guys we picked in 2016 are that guy. Also some of the guys I looked at in need positions I could get later on, and did.

186: EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG JR. KANSAS 6'4 225. Quick player, probably needs to hit the weight and buffet rooms. Probably will and can play at 240-245.

207: EDGE JUSTIN LAWLER SOUTHERN METHODIST 6'4 265. Any packer fans know of any other Edge rushers on our team that are 6'4 265? I can think of one with long flowing blonde hair. This kid impressed me at one of the Senior Bowls. I watched him get into, under and around a Tackle in one move and get to the QB. High motor guy. Probably my favorite Edge Rusher in the draft class. Why get a guy though 5 or top 6 when you can get him mid-late 6? Smart business sense.

232: LB JACK CICHY WISCONSIN 6'2 234. Admittedly this is a "homer" pick partially, but I also love this kid's play when he is on the field. I've heard some claim he's an outside backer, but he's not. He could step in with Martinez inside, and wear the helmet if Martinez got injured. As much as I like Jake Ryan, Cichy is better. Injury concerns in college otherwise he's a day 2 player, maybe even late Day 1.

239:CB CHRISTIAN CAMPBELL PENN STATE 6'1 194. Saw this kid a little bit this year. NFL early he's a PS or possibly a dime at best. Can probably play into a starter with a couple years experience under his belt. Emergency starter only year 1.

Thoughts, complaints, flames? Send 'em all.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly unrealistic.

DJ Moore won't be there in the 3rd. We don't need Allen, and I wouldn't draft him before the 2nd round anyways. Some good players in there for sure, but unrealistic.

Love Wynn and Moore, like Armstrong's measurables, tape not as much.

Reaction score
I’m pretty certain I’ll find a trade partner if Josh Allen is still hanging around at #14. He also just hurled a 70 yard pass today. Kids got an arm.
I understand BAP but I can wait a few more picks into the 1st round, particularly if it’s going to land us say.. an extra 2nd round talent. Give me pick #21 and pick #56 straight up for #14. Or even better yet #21,#22 For #14 and a couple comp picks. I’m an advocate of trading up and consolidating some this year.
Of those 6 positions were waiting, you’ll have only 5 other possibilities of non QBs. I like the idea of getting more top 50 type talent players (which there will still be at pick #56). I don’t think the talent drops off that much in 4-5 picks here. But that 2nd rounder is more valuable than the QB holding a clipboard (Pokers example). It’s also a QB depth Rich season, so there might be some QBs that would normally be 2nd day types that are around 4-5th rounds or so.

Give me the best of 2 of these 3.. solid CB, TE or WR in round 2. I’m assuming Pass Rush will be addressed already by then.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a surprise pick on the Oline during the second day. Moreso if we picked up another high pick in a trade back. It would be prudent for the Packers to continue to invest in protecting #12. Keeping him on his feet with a solid Pass protector and offering solid Run support is paramount, and especially if we are going to invest 30M annual at QB. Also, the concept of staggering contracts is a best practices business decision at the position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Hey guys,

That time of year, and I went with fanspeak to do a mock draft of guys I like at need positions. First thing I did was a Ted Thompson classic draft taking the best player available and ended up with a bunch of guys I'm not sure Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have heard of either! Second draft I did I picked based on need. Now because other teams picked before me in each round, I didn't always get the guy I wanted. And in the late rounds once needs were covered I picked up guys I liked at positions we could use help at for depth purposes so here is what I came up with.

14: Josh Allen QB Wyoming 6'5 240. Saw him play Iowa early last year, had nothing with him and didn't play great. BIG kid, when he's rolling out he looks like Elway. Do worry just the tiniest bit that he might have the same mobility as Bernie Kosar. Sidebar: Not gonna lie I took him cause Mason Rudolph was off the board at 14, and Rudolph is the best fit for the Packers.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to draft a quarterback with their highest pick in nine years as Rodgers has repeatedly mentioned that he wants to play into his 40s.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre had talked about playing until 50 too. Doesn't mean Aaron's gonna play in GB into his 40's.

D

Deleted member 6794

Favre had talked about playing until 50 too. Doesn't mean Aaron's gonna play in GB into his 40's.

Favre had talked about thinking about retiring before the Packers drafted Rodgers. The team definitely has more pressing needs than to select a quarterback in the first round.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the trade today I re-did this mock. It goes as follows

Pick 14: Mike Gesicke TE Penn State. Reach YES, but he's the best TE in the draft, and TE is a need position.

Pick 45: Arden Key EDGE LSU. We know he can't play at 255-270, he played great at 238, wonder if he can maintain the same level 245-250.

Pick 76: Josh Adams RB Notre Dame: This kid to me was the best back in the country last year. Eddie Lacy with better balance/foot work and probably better effort.

Pick 101: Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State: Saw his combine work out, seems to have the measurables, and a big linebacker to cover bigger tight ends and backs. Can probably step in for Ryan by mid-season, and easily replaces Joe Thomas almost immediately.

Pick 133: DJ Chark WR LSU: This kid did a LOT at LSU without a quarterback. Imagine what he can do with Aaron, heck he probably could've made Hundley look good if we'd had him last year.

Pick 138: Tavarus McFadden CB Florida State: 6'2 205, big corner, King is taller, but this kid covered big time receivers against Bama and Clemson on multiple occasions.

Pick 172 **** Ford DL Texas: One oft he bright spots at UT last year. IMO a steal at 172.

Pick 174 Bradley Bozeman C Alabama: The draft simulator stated we need a guard and I DO agree. Thinking by drafting Bozeman is that either he or Linsley moves out to guard with the other one helping with line calls.

Pick 186: Justin Lawler EDGE SMU: I like the kid, Clay's size, high motor very quick, looks like he plays quicker than Clay too.

Pick 207: Jordan Thomas CB Oklahoma: DBs are my weak spot, but I will say this about OU's defense, the only team I really saw score on them was OSU and Mason Rudolph.

Pick 232: Dominick Sanders S Georgia: Usually if I do look at a DB I like to look anywhere but the B1G, and I do remember seeing this kid play a little last year, and I was impressed.

Pick 239: Larry Allen Jr. G Harvard: Won't lie pedigree pick, trust Bozeman more than Allen but it's 7th round, final pick....why not?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2 quality players you got, will not be around at those picks.Vander Esch and Chark.

Geisicki can be picked much later than 14th. We will pass on him in the 2nd. He will go somewhere around our 3rd round pick. He will be the 3rd or 4th TE off the board.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pretty much hate the entire thing. Josh Adams is AWFUL. Vander Esch and Clark will be drafted by that point. Gesicki is too early, and no thanks on Key.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When the simulator is giving you LVE in the 4th and Chark in the 5th, what’s the point of using it?

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our first pick... whether it be at #14 or trading up/down will need to be best defensive player available... Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Vea, or James at 14... We are weak at each position from edge to LB to DBs.... We will need to take at least 1 if not two for each position. TE while being a weakness can be picked up in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2 quality players you got, will not be around at those picks.Vander Esch and Chark.

Geisicki can be picked much later than 14th. We will pass on him in the 2nd. He will go somewhere around our 3rd round pick. He will be the 3rd or 4th TE off the board.

I agree with most of this, but I think Gesicki goes in the second, possibly end of the first. LVE will be gone in the first.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Set on Difficult:

Round 1: Mike Gesicki-TE

Round 2: Sony Michel-RB

Round 3: Da`Shawn Hand-DL

Round 4a: Mason Cole-C

Round 4b: D.J. Reed-CB

Round 5a: DaeSean Hamilton-WR

Round 5b: Justin Lawler-EDGE

Round 5c: JaMarcus King-CB

Round 6: Dominick Sanders-S

Round 7a: Garrett Dooley-LB

Round 7b: Kyle Allen-QB

If it falls this way which we know it won't, but if it did, it would be a helluva draft for us I've seen every one of these players play except for Reed. Tough decision in the final round on whether to take Allen or Daurice Fountain. Decided to go with the extra arms in camp theory, and getting a QB with SEC experience I couldn't pass up.

Staff online

Latest posts