1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Ronnie Mexico accepts plea deal

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by TOPackerFan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good riddance.

2. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The 12 - 18 months is what the prosecution is recommending, however, the judge is not bound to this and the penalty could be much stiffer, and this will not be known until December. There is also the prospect of state charges in Virginia and North and South Carolina.

Now time may be sereved concurrently if there is any state time added, however, it coulud easily be more like 3-4 seasons before Vick would be eligible to be re-instated.

That long of a layoff, combined with the fact that he is a target for animal rights groups, etc, and also not a very good QB make it unlikely that he will play again, IMO.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Heres what i don't get.............WHY does it take till December to announce the punishment? Are they hoping everyone will forget about it, so they can just slap him on the wrists???
    I mean........the guy admitted guilt! Why not just sentence him NOW!??

(I don't think he will ever play in the NFL......but he might get a CFL offer)

4. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Good question. I was wondering the same thing. Any legal experts here? :feedback: :beersign:

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Midwest! I thought maybe i was the only one thinking about that.
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I just can't help but think its what i said........a chance to sweep it a little under the ol' rug.
    Maybe i'm wrong and there is a REAL reason.

6. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he's a convicted felon, he will have trouble coming to Canada to play (though it's not impossible - Lawrence Phillips played in Montreal for a couple of years and he had a couple of convictions at least). He'll need to apply for a pardon in the US or obtain a waiver from the Canadian government permitting him to enter the country period, let alone to play football.

7. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I am not a legal expert....however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

My guess is that the Judge now must review other "like" cases to determine where, on the penalty matrix, Vick's crimes fall. It is important that the Judge be consistant with previous like cases. He then takes in the "unique" circumstances of this particular case and sentenences appropriately.

Keep in mind, regardless of your feelings for Vick, we are talking about how long a person must pay for his crime.....by taking away the very root of this country's value, one's freedom. not to be taken lightly or quickly.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Like, wow......i like, never like, thought of it like, that way.

LOLOL!!! Now, i KNOW what Trippster looks "like" (LOL!) but reading his post made me picture this blonde woman, "like" trying "like" to explain it to us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now....on a serious note.......wouldn't the judge have looked up what kinds of punishments would fit this kind of crime before Vick admitted his guilt? I can see it taking a couple of weeks even, but 4 months? Just seems like a long time to me. And we wonder why our courts system is so jammed up. 4 months just to decide what to do with him.

9. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    In PFTalk.. but if this is true... Mikey has to be one arrogant slow witted fool... the speech wasn't that complicated and he might have needed a cue card... then leave it there for others to find...

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't care if he wrote a book and left it behind..........he's a jerk and an admitted felon now.
    Notes or no notes, it's the same guy who did it.

Now Whoppi Goldberg is on his side. She must think torturing animals is acceptable behavior. She backed him on the TV show "The View".
    Just another reason for me not to like her.

11. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read that transcript from "The View" - apparently dog-fighting is ok since it's "socially acceptable" in "that part of the country"

Sure hope they don't have any other felonious "socially acceptable" practices such as murder or assault...

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I know! Thats how I felt!
    In the group "The national man/boy love association" it's acceptable for men to have sex with little boys. Does that mean it should not be prosecuted just because in some areas it's "acceptable?" Does that make it less of a crime because SOME accept it?

13. vechenzo

vechenzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he is allowed to come back then pete rose should be inducted into the hall of fame. Different sport and different type of gambling but still same basic principal

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    To me Vick is worse, because he tortured animals as well as betting on which one would die.
    Rose is a jerk, and to me doesn't deserve to be honored. It would have been different had he admitted what he did. And i mean a LONG time ago.

Both should be in the "Hall of SHAME".