Road offense?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anything to worry about with our road offense? It didn't look terrible today, but not that great either. Since the beginning of last season, we've averaged 19.1 points on the road versus 37.1 points at home. Obviously, the home numbers are fantastic, and most teams score a bit more at home than on the road, but the difference is particularly enormous for us. Nearly twice as many averaged at home.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anything to worry about with our road offense? It didn't look terrible today, but not that great either. Since the beginning of last season, we've averaged 19.1 points on the road versus 37.1 points at home. Obviously, the home numbers are fantastic, and most teams score a bit more at home than on the road, but the difference is particularly enormous for us. Nearly twice as many averaged at home.
I don't worry about the point differential on the road as long as we're winning at home, not a problem, and at least playing 500 on the road. But that is a big gap and I am a little surprised by it.

I was grateful that there were no addl injuries today, although it did look like Cobb was in some pain after landing on his bad soldier. It's another credit to Rodgers that he's playing so well considering his #1 and 3 receivers are out, and Cobb is playing hurt. He just makes everyone around him look better. But this O has so many weapons they will be fine if they can keep the guys still out there healthy.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not that worried about the offense in particular. it would have had a LOT better day but the niners pass rush was getting through the blocks constantly, it seemed like Rodgers had to scamper and throw on every dropback. THAT worried me. Barclay looked brutal out there, Bulaga can't come back soon enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Currently there are 10 teams that have scored more average points on the road than at home since the start 0f the 2014 season. There´s no other team even close to the dropoff the Packers experience while playing on the road. I think there is some reason to worry but I don´t have any suggestion to solve this problem. Let´s hope the Packers get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give the 49er defense some credit, they played well. They were coming off a game where they had their heads handed to them, and at home they came out like they were determined not to let that happen again. Green Bay also squandered some opportunities.

San Francisco's offense, however, remains brutally inept. Bad quarterbacking will do that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently there are 10 teams that have scored more average points on the road than at home since the start 0f the 2014 season. There´s no other team even close to the dropoff the Packers experience while playing on the road. I think there is some reason to worry but I don´t have any suggestion to solve this problem. Let´s hope the Packers get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I think it would help if we'd lean on the run game a bit more on the road. Pass rushers tend to be more effective at home and our OL is weak around the edges right now. With Barclay needing constant help we've been forced to play Bakh on an island which has exposed him as well. While we were pretty balanced on Sunday I'd like to see Eddie Lacy get his 25 touches when he's averaging 5 ypc. Force teams to play the run and open up some PA passes downfield on first and second down.

As for going 5 of 15 on third down... not sure what to make of that. Although sometimes when it's 3rd and 3 on the other half of the field why not try a power run play either for the first or to set up 4th and short?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it would help if we'd lean on the run game a bit more on the road. Pass rushers tend to be more effective at home and our OL is weak around the edges right now. With Barclay needing constant help we've been forced to play Bakh on an island which has exposed him as well. While we were pretty balanced on Sunday I'd like to see Eddie Lacy get his 25 touches when he's averaging 5 ypc. Force teams to play the run and open up some PA passes downfield on first and second down.

The Packers have run the ball on 42.6% of the plays on the road since the start of the 2014 season which is actually above the league average of 40.8%. I agree that the Packers could need an upgrade at tackle but I don´t think any team would put an extra defender into the box vs. Rodgers even if we ran the ball more often.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give the 49er defense some credit, they played well. They were coming off a game where they had their heads handed to them, and at home they came out like they were determined not to let that happen again. Green Bay also squandered some opportunities.

San Francisco's offense, however, remains brutally inept. Bad quarterbacking will do that.
I agree, their defense came out and played a heck of a game. Nothing to hang their heads about at all, but with CK looking like Joel Stave out there skipping passes and throwing an uncatchable ball, their fate was sealed without some turnovers and big special teams play. I figured their D would still be formidable, but they played even more inspired than I thought.

That said, it's not as if we're going to be facing cupcakes all year. Other teams have good defenses too and I'd prefer Rodgers not have to run around so much or take that many hits. The play of our tackles has been subpar by every team's standards, and though GB may have squandered some opportunities, they were also aided by some ill timed penalties as well. I can think of 2 on that first drive alone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The offense scored the winning TD on the first drive; what's to complain about? ;)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has changed and I think for the better. We are doing a lot of what NE does. Taking what defenses give us and only taking shots deep when the opportunity is there. Rodgers is being methodical like a surgeon out there. I also notice that what we are doing is wearing defenses down in the 4th quarter.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not that worried about the offense in particular. it would have had a LOT better day but the niners pass rush was getting through the blocks constantly, it seemed like Rodgers had to scamper and throw on every dropback. THAT worried me. Barclay looked brutal out there, Bulaga can't come back soon enough.
Everyone knows Barclay's weakness, he can't handle speed nor the bull rush. So this is where coaching comes in. They left Barclay on a island all game I didn't see any chip blocks or nothing. Onece we can hold up against a 4 man rush on the road and force the opponent to bring a safety down. We will kill teams. Every team play us the same, 2 safety high losing jordy hurt a lot more then people think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Onece we can hold up against a 4 man rush on the road and force the opponent to bring a safety down. We will kill teams. Every team play us the same, 2 safety high losing jordy hurt a lot more then people think.

Opponents would most likely rush another linebacker to create pressure on Rodgers but still keep two safeties high to prevent big plays. There´s no doubt that losing Nelson hurts the Packers passing game, especially on deep throws. As of right now the Packers are one of seven teams with only one pass play over 40 yards while having the second most a season ago.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has changed and I think for the better. We are doing a lot of what NE does. Taking what defenses give us and only taking shots deep when the opportunity is there. Rodgers is being methodical like a surgeon out there. I also notice that what we are doing is wearing defenses down in the 4th quarter.
I think we are more efficient as an offense and it keeps our defense performing better too. While a nice deep threat is nice, when it's what we do, I don't like it. We either score fast or go off the field fast. I'm not a fan of boom or bust. I like the capability to Boom for sure, but methodical and efficient most of the time gives this TEAM the best chance to win. i'd rather that, then big time offensive stats.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we are more efficient as an offense and it keeps our defense performing better too. While a nice deep threat is nice, when it's what we do, I don't like it. We either score fast or go off the field fast. I'm not a fan of boom or bust. I like the capability to Boom for sure, but methodical and efficient most of the time gives this TEAM the best chance to win. i'd rather that, then big time offensive stats.

It´s true the offense looks more efficient this season but I wouldn´t mind having a deep threat in Nelson as well. It would open up more space to operate in the short-to-mid range as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s true the offense looks more efficient this season but I wouldn´t mind having a deep threat in Nelson as well. It would open up more space to operate in the short-to-mid range as well.
I agree, i like the option to go boom, i don't like looking for it all the time. We do miss him, but it's also making our offense evolve and in the long run we'll be better for it.

Sky King

Reaction score
For those who are PC:

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, NFL football game, cheered for with respect to the feelings of the players and fans of the team of your choice, but with respect for the feelings of the players and fans of others who choose to play for and cheer their own team as well as those who choose not to engage in football as players or fans at all.

Additionally, a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated completion of the game and travel to home, but not without due respect for the players and fans of other teams whose contributions have helped make the NFL great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or ****** preferences of the players and fans.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the NFL experience.)

For everyone else: The Bears Still Suck!

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, i like the option to go boom, i don't like looking for it all the time. We do miss him, but it's also making our offense evolve and in the long run we'll be better for it.
That's not even how this offense has worked though. Last year Rodgers went deep 10.8% of the time which was the 29th highest. Our ability to hit deep shots has just been ridiculously efficient which makes it seem like it's used more often. The difference to this year though is that there hasn't even been a threat of it which most likely won't be better off in the long run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not even how this offense has worked though. Last year Rodgers went deep 10.8% of the time which was the 29th highest. Our ability to hit deep shots has just been ridiculously efficient which makes it seem like it's used more often. The difference to this year though is that there hasn't even been a threat of it which most likely won't be better off in the long run.
I think the difference in this offense between maybe halfway thru last year thru this year is a lot different than it has been previously. The use of TE's NOT streaking down the field has gone way up. Hitting the RB's has gone up, short check downs has gone up. Prior to a certain point last year every 3rd and 2 was a 40 yard pass play it seemed. I think our offense has clearly gotten better about going thru progressions and moving chains. We were losing time of possessions by a lot and still winning games. Boom or bust score quickly or punt quickly and it happened often. this offense has been operating together for more than 1 season

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep, let's get home field throughout the playoffs so we don't have to worry about a road offense in the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Surprisingly Rodgers completion percentage was only slightly higher last year on deep throws than it is this season so far. The percentage of passes that travelled at least 20 yards through the air didn't drop significantly either (8.9%).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I like the long ball when its successful, I agree with Captain the bust part of it makes it less appealing. I think when Jordy was lost, Rodgers realized he wouldn't have that option as often as he once did. Now with Adams out and Janis not seeing a lot of snaps, Rodgers is effectively using his WR's with the skill set that they have, short to medium routes.

I'm not too worried about this offense on the road or at home, as long as they get the Tackles playing better. With 4 games and valuable playing time with his relatively new group of receivers under his belt , Rodgers is just getting warmed up. Remember, Montgomery is just a rookie and I see nothing but improvement from him every game.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the difference in this offense between maybe halfway thru last year thru this year is a lot different than it has been previously. The use of TE's NOT streaking down the field has gone way up. Hitting the RB's has gone up, short check downs has gone up. Prior to a certain point last year every 3rd and 2 was a 40 yard pass play it seemed. I think our offense has clearly gotten better about going thru progressions and moving chains. We were losing time of possessions by a lot and still winning games. Boom or bust score quickly or punt quickly and it happened often. this offense has been operating together for more than 1 season
I don't get where you are coming from with this "boom or bust stuff" at all. This offense has been incredibly efficient in pretty much all aspects over the years. Not many 3 and outs, not many turnovers etc... To use last season as an example they were 3rd in yards per drive, 1st in pts per drive, 2nd in turnovers, 5th in total plays, 5th in time of possession. Not a whole lot of bust there regardless of how it "seemed"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get where you are coming from with this "boom or bust stuff" at all. This offense has been incredibly efficient in pretty much all aspects over the years. Not many 3 and outs, not many turnovers etc... To use last season as an example they were 3rd in yards per drive, 1st in pts per drive, 2nd in turnovers, 5th in total plays, 5th in time of possession. Not a whole lot of bust there regardless of how it "seemed"
I told you exactly where it came from. It's exactly how it seemed. I remember quick scores and a gassed defense because they couldn't get off the field and the offense couldn't help keep them off either. I'm glad you have stats, I have memories of blowing up mediocre teams and then not being able to do much more than score on a couple big plays and then go 3 and out in many others. Yards add up against subpar teams. yay for stats. there were plenty of games where we didn't have TOP, we were losing by big margins yet we were winning games. your stats don't show that, yet it certainly happened. Maybe my memory is better than your stats? But I bet if I cared, I could find the stats to show that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts