QB Depth

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So say that Brett retires and we keep Rodgers and let him start next year. How's our QB depth, then? I mean, what if Rodgers gets hurt? You think we'd be bringing in another QB before the start of next season if Brett does retire?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would totally need a number 2 QB in that case. Tom Arth is not going to cut it. All the upper tier backup QBs with experience are gone so we would have to Chicago Bear it and grab some really crappy journeyman QB that not many people have heard of but has some experience. Hopefully Rodgers wouldn't pull a Grossman.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No this year they got on that early. I was referring to players like Jonathon Quinn and Chris Chandler, and Kordell Stewart, and Chad Hutchinson. Players that may of been good once but when they went to the bears were way past their prime.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weez in big trouble if Mr. Favre calls it quits now.

We have no idea if Rodgers can do the job or not. None. Ill'' certainly back the kid all the way but it would sure be nice to see MM have a year to work with him.

It's weird how 4th or 5th round QB's come out of nowhere and become good solid players and how many 1st rounders just never make it.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the top 10 FA QB's according to The Sporting News:

1. Kerry Collins
2. Tommy Maddox
3. Jay Fiedler
4. Vinny Testaverde
5. Jeff Blake
6. Ken Dorsey
7. Doug Flutie
8. Anthony Wright
9. Jamie Martin
10. Tony Banks

My guess is if Favre retires, TT will sign Collins or Fiedler and draft A QB in the middle rounds.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vinny Testaverde is at #4. that's a telling sign of the lack of QB talent in free agency, and how much we need Brett to come back. how old is vinnie, 44? 45?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need a journey man QB to start after Brett retires.... A-rod hasnt a snowballs chance in hell, to succeed in Green Bay. The kid is gonna have to try and fill Brett Favres freakin shoes... nearly impossible. SO i say get a lame duck experienced QB to take the pressure off A-rods impending doom. besides another year to develop without the pressure of starting can do nothing but help him. Not saying A-rod wont be good, just saying its gonna be damn hard to step up to the giant expectations this franchise carries.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No QB will suceed with this line. But I think we should try and pick up Kerry Collins and said that a couple weeks ago. If titans pick Leinart then make an offer for Volek. McNair will also be available

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mel Kiper (not that his opinion means ****) but he said on sportscenter that a kid from alabama state named tarvarus jackson would be a great pick in the third round.

said he has maybe the STRONGEST ARM IN THE DRAFT CLASS and hes from a small southern school like someone else we all know and love.

would love to see us draft him as a security blanket for a-rod, once brett leaves in 2009 :) i can dream right

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are going to re-visit the late 70's-early 80's we might as well do it in style!!!!!

Charlie Whitehurst
Height: 6-4 3/4 | Weight: 223 | 40-Time: 4.70

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Great arm strength with an overhead delivery...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little...Smart and tough with solid intangibles...Efficient in the short passing game...Durable three-year starter with a lot of experience...Still has some upside and potential...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
Very erratic and has had an up and down career...Makes way too many bad decisions, especially under pressure...Not a threat to run and is basically a pocket passer...Takes unnecessary risks...Needs to be more accurate, especially on deep passes...Holds onto the ball too long...Needs to be coached up and developed.

Notes:
Son of former Green Bay Packer quarterback David Whitehurst, who played in the NFL from 1976-83...Looked like a potential top prospect early in his career but bottomed out as a junior before bouncing back to a degree in 2005...Has a lot of physical tools to work with and could develop into a starter at the pro level.

IN all seriousness, we will probably draft a QB, if Charlie is available in the 3rd or 4th rnd I say draft him, he is already better than his dad ever was.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but if Brett retires we are in deep sheeet anyways. Forget about whos going to backup A-Rod cause it doesn't matter.

Lots of journeymen QB's out there. No big rush

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id be happy with charlie too seen him play several times at death valley.... his scouting report is spot on. great potential but seems to make a lot of bonehead moves

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah A-Rod doesn't need a rookie behind him. Bring in the oldest guy possible. Not for anything on the field but the knowlede he could give off of it. Testeverde is like 57 so he should know a thing or two

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah A-Rod doesn't need a rookie behind him. Bring in the oldest guy possible. Not for anything on the field but the knowlede he could give off of it. Testeverde is like 57 so he should know a thing or two

May I suggest Kerry Collins or Jamie Martin..

If Favre retires and the Titans cut McNair in June.. hmmm he'd be an interesting pickup.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McNair probably would probably want way to much.

Martin would be ok but he has little to share with A-Rod as far as experience.

Collins I hate so I will not respond because it will be biased.

We could have Flutie come in and that would solve our FG kicker problem. He could just drop-kick em from 50+, Lol.

I actually think Jeff Blake is not out of the question. He has been around for a while. I guess it really doesn't matter however

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 2 scenarios.

1. Brett comes back, A.R. is the back-up and we draft a QB on the second day of the draft.

2. Brett retires, A. R. is the starter, we pick up a veteran back-up, and we draft a QB on the second day of the draft.

Either way we are going to draft a QB, if Whitehurst is there in the 4th rnd I say we take him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts