Position Fluid Players

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was thinking about the positions that are getting kicked around as Packer priorities in this year's draft, and it occurred to me that there are some really good prospects that don't get brought up enough for Green Bay because their fit and role with the Packers is a little bit less cut and dry than some others. So I wanted to make a thread to highlight those guys.

Jeremy Chinn, S/LB, Southern Illinois, 6'3" 221#, 4.45 forty, 40" vert, 138" broad: Chinn is listed with the safeties but I believe in Green Bay he would primarily play linebacker. The Packers seem to have long been in search of a dime linebacker who has the size to handle some box responsibilities, but has the cover skills to man up on tight ends. Josh Jones and Oren Burks were both failed attempts to make this a reality. Chinn has amazing athletic potential, but gets mixed reviews as a cover player.

Kyle Dugger, S/LB, Lenoir-Rhyne, 6'1" 217#, 4.49 forty, 42" vert, 134" broad: Dugger projects to a similar role with the Packers as Chinn. He's similarly built and has comparable athletic ability, however he's less developed in coverage and more of a downhill, attacking player.

K'Von Wallace, S/NB, Clemson, 5'11" 206#, 4.53 forty, 38" vert, 133" broad, 6.76 3C, 4.15 SS: Wallace is going to be listed with the safeties, like these other guys, but I think he is mostly a slot corner in the NFL. He's a physical run defender and blitzer with some cover ability, especially when he doesn't have to carry speed into the deep half in single coverage. If the Packers were looking to get more physical against the run while in nickel/dime, this would be the type of player to target.

Terrell Burgess, S/NB, Utah, 5'11" 202#, 4.46 forty, 33.5" vert, 122" broad: Burgess is a guy who can project to slot corner just as Wallace can. Burgess doesn't have Wallace's physicality, experience, or ball production, but he does have some more natural cover talent, so it's a trade off between the two.

Antonio Gibson, WR/RB/KR, Memphis, 6'0" 228#, 4.39 forty, 35" vert, 118" broad: Gibson is listed most places as a WR, but he played so much of both RB and WR at Memphis last year that some teams have asked him if he would play RB for their team. He had 38 receptions and 33 carries in 2019. Despite that minimal exposure in terms of touches, he finished with 1,104 yards and 12 touchdowns. He led the FBS in YAC/reception. So on the one hand he's an extremely explosive athlete who is about as dangerous as anyone in this class with the ball in his hands, but on the other he has very little experience and played with a very simplistic route tree and rush scheme. He's also an extremely dangerous kick returner. A true gadget player.

Lynn Bowden, WR/RB/QB/KR/PR, Kentucky, 5'11" 204#: Bowden is drawing comparisons to Randall Cobb because of his build, college, and offensive role. He started off 2019 as a really productive slot receiver (was on pace for 88/1071/4) before being asked to switch to a wildcat QB role, where he ran wild (172/1369/13 in eight games). Bowden would bring some playmaking skills to the slot, while also being a weapon as a runner and occasional gadget passer and in the return game.

Tremayne Anchrum, iOL, Clemson, 6'2" 314#: Anchrum has played four straight years at Clemson as a right tackle. At 6'2", he isn't really a candidate to stay outside in the pros. He's a good movement blocker with a ton of high level experience. So while he would be an experiment on the inside, there's a chance he pays off big.

Danny Pinter, iOL, Ball State, 6'4" 306#, 7.76 3C, 4.62 SS: Pinter was a tight end originally for Ball State who moved to right tackle in 2018, but lacks the length to stick outside in the pros (sub 32" arms). But he brings plus athleticism to the OL, and shows promise projectable traits as an interior lineman in a zone attack, but he has never played inside. So his positional home is a mystery, but he's got some intriguing talent. The Packers are of course no strangers to converting tackles into other positions.

Carter Coughlin, EDGE/LB, Minnesota, 6'3" 236#, 4.57 forty, 36" vert, 126" broad: Coughlin played on the edge for the most part for the Gophers. He does not have the power or length to hold up in that position on a down in, down out basis. But he does have some rush talent as well as some off-ball skills, and could potentially find himself a sub package role as a versatile defender in time. While he wouldn't really have a home in base defense for the Packers, he would bring some skills that are currently missing from the OLB group.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd add Tanner Muse, Josh Uche and Zack Baun to the list.
But it's already a pretty good list, of the guys on it Chinn and Gibson intrigue me the most as potential targets for the packers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd add Tanner Muse, Josh Uche and Zack Baun to the list.
But it's already a pretty good list, of the guys on it Chinn and Gibson intrigue me the most as potential targets for the packers.

Another dime linebacker type that I like quite a bit and forgot to mention is Josh Metellus.

5'11" 210 lb safety for Michigan. Strong athletic profile across the board. Good processor around the LOS and tackles well in the running game. Good ball skills.

He could be the rich man's version of what they've tried to do with Campbell and Greene in recent years.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Whatever team ends up with Lynn Bowden is going to have the steal of the draft. I hope that team is the packers.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers base defense right now is dime. I would prefer that they run more nickel, but that's not realistic as it would require them to find a true linebacker with some real cover skills. That ship has sailed for 2020. So dime it remains.

So if they're going to run it, then they had better make sure they have the personnel they need for it!

We all know that Alexander, King, Williams, Amos, and Savage played a ton of snaps last year, but Chandon Sullivan (350), Will Redmond (271), Ibraheim Campbell (181), Josh Jackson (103), Raven Greene (70), Oren Burks (57), Tony Brown (47), and Kadar Hollman (4) accounted for 1,083 snaps on defense!

Now some of those snaps were guys playing in injury relief, but a lot of them happened because we ran so much dime (plus some quarter)-- especially when it comes to guys like Campbell, Greene, and Burks.

If the Packers could find a quality dime linebacker, they would upgrade their production for a lot of snaps.

And then on top of that, they either need to resign Tramon Williams or replace him. If they replace him, doing so with a "big nickel"-- i.e. a safety body type that can play slot corner-- might be a good idea. That's what the Saints did last year with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and it worked quite well. That's why I bring up guys like K'von Wallace and Terrell Burgess.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One other interesting thing about Wallace: the Packers traditionally have tended to target cornerbacks with sub 6.90 three cone times. The pool of such players is pretty small this year, but Wallace put up a 6.76. So he would qualify, if they were viewing him as a slot corner. We also don't know how much those tendencies mean now that Gutekunst is running the show, but I can say that the three corners he's drafted so far (Alexander, Jackson, and Hollman) all qualified.

One thing to add though-- they changed the combine schedule this year and put everything in the evening. The agility drills are always the last ones to go, and so this year they were late. I read in numerous places that players felt dead by the time those drills came up, so the overall poor (or missing) numbers this year may have an explanation.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts