PFF Grades Through Week 4

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/9kmpsj/green_bays_pff_grades_through_week_4/

If anyone is interested, here is PFF's grades of the team through week 4.

Interesting to see HHCD so highly rated.. I'm starting to think that he struggles mainly with closing tackles but is really good in coverage. It would make sense.. if he's doing well in coverage we probably don't see him much on the screen. Plus have 3 INTs helps a ton.

Blake Martinez grades higher than I'd expect as well. Hopefully he keeps improving off his performance against Buffalo.

Kenny Clark is a monster.

Aaron Jones.. get this man more touches!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and kenny Clark STILL isn't reaching his peak. I don't think there's a snap where Kenny loses ever. Even with 2 guys, at the worst, he doesn't move. The majority, he's shedding, pushing them in to run lanes, moving the LOS back etc. He's a beast and playing like one.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that MM said that he would like to keep Jones' snaps limited so he is more likely to be healthy later in the season. Anyone agree with talk that HHCD interception should have been a penalty?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that MM said that he would like to keep Jones' snaps limited so he is more likely to be healthy later in the season. Anyone agree with talk that HHCD interception should have been a penalty?
had he not caught it, I think they may have flagged him even though I don't think they should have, as it stands, no . He was clearly playing the ball. He did not go at the receiver, not even a little bit. And he didn't get there early. It was one of the best plays I've seen Ha Ha make. I hope it continues. Defenders must be allowed to play the ball or this game just isn't fair. There's a pretty big argument now that it isn't. If a QB throws a ball into an interception, there is zero reason for them to be rewarded for it. .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Penalty on who and why? Dix made a play for the ball and beat the receiver to the spot. Is that what you are referring to?

H

HardRightEdge

This is informative, but note that it does not come directly from PFF. Somebody else put it together. I'd like at least spot-check confirmation from somebody with direct access to PFF grades. Captain?

I'll tell you why I'd reserve judgement.

Anybody could put this together without a PFF subscription by using a series of google searches. For example, if you do a google search on "Clinton-Dix PFF grade" you get this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ha-ha-clinton-dix/8656

All good, right? Not necessarily. In camp I had cited Martinez's 2017 grade using such a search. Then the Captain found a PFF reference that had a meaningfully different season grade. What gives? Is the grade from that google search only the most recent game? That's one thought based on that discrepancy. I don't know.

Anyway, if you look at my link above you can see how the color codes translate if this data is accurate.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is informative, but note that it does not come directly from PFF. Somebody else put it together. I'd like at least spot-check confirmation from somebody with direct access to PFF grades. Captain?

I'll tell you why I'd reserve judgement.

Anybody could put this together without a PFF subscription by using a series of google searches. For example, if you do a google search on "Clinton-Dix PFF grade" you get this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ha-ha-clinton-dix/8656

All good, right? Not necessarily. In camp I had cited Martinez's 2017 grade using such a search. Then the Captain found a PFF reference that had a meaningfully different season grade. What gives? Is the grade from that google search only the most recent game? That's one thought based on that discrepancy. I don't know.

Anyway, if you look at my link above you can see how the color codes translate if this data is accurate.

Don't have time to check everyone but the corners, safeties, DI guys, and Martinez are all correct.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, for those I checked at least.
I don't know what went wrong with that preseason Martinez example, but after spot checking a half dozen of those queries I illustrated earlier the results match the chart in the OP.

I don't know if those queries are an unintended back door or a teaser, but don't tell PFF about it just in case. ;)

I suppose the most surprising grade would be Clinton-Dix earning "elite" status when measured against the eye test. Then again, safeties are the hardest to assess from a broadcast viewing because much of what they do is not on the screen. The same is true of corners to a large extent. Current perceptions may be colored by past season observations or "confirmation bias", my phrase of the day it seems.

PFF states they grade each play on a -2 to +2 scale along the lines of traditional coaches grading.

What's interesing about that scale is the following PFF QB example:

"At one end of the scale you have a catastrophic game-ending interception or pick-six from a quarterback, and at the other a perfect deep bomb into a tight window in a critical game situation, with the middle of that scale being 0-graded, or ‘expected’ plays that are neither positive nor negative."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-player-grades

This bets a lot of questions.

Is an interception a +2 play? Maybe. Is a +2 play worth more than double a +1 play? That example seems to suggest so. Does a pick far outweigh a couple of missed tackles that don't result in big gainers? I'd presume so. If a CB or S has tight coverage such that the ball is not thrown his way is that +1 or a merely "expected" 0? I would think that's +1 since that's one kind of shut down corner. In Asomugha's 2008 - 2010 seasons (3 Pro Bowls, 2 first team All Pros) he was targetted a grand total of 98 times, about 2 times per game. Do you grade him 0 on those 94% of opponent passes, give or take, when opponents avoid throwing his way like the plauge while providing little opportunity to make the big +2 splash play? I don't think so.

I've not been able to find anything specific from PFF as to the fine points of assigning grades or the algorithm they plug them into. That's not surprising. It's surely deemed proprietary.

Getting back to the C-D grade, lets say those picks weigh heavily into the grade. He also has 3 passes defended in 4 games while his previous season high was 7 in 2016. As for the plays where Clinton-Dix is playing high safety and we don't see what he's doing, perhaps PFF has found his anticipation, decision making and coverage has been spot on in those instances. Under these conditions, it is plausible to think a grading system would make a modest charge against the grade for a few missed tackles that did not result in big extra yardage while still concluding "elite".

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not going through 4 games of coaches tape, which are available on Game Pass, to focus on what Clinton-Dix has done on every snap. I doubt anybody here will either.

A PFF grade is not infallible. They are more credible now with 3 levels of review than they were in the early years. They say the 3rd. level is performed by ex-coaches deciding on any disagreement at the first two levels. But since it's more credible than overweighting a small handful of poor plays without being able to see the whole picture, I think it best to go with it until there is something says otherwise.

As for the rest of the grades, they seem about in line to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Some of those grades are a bit off (a maximum of four points) but overall the numbers are pretty accurate.

OP
OP
James from IL

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF isn't the end all, be all anyways. Sometimes I see their grades and smh.. but it's a interesting overview of the team, and someone took the time to chart it out!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice has had 2 plays that stand out in everyone's mind. Both went for TD's. Good news he was there, bad news he couldn't make a play on the ball. He had a poor tackling day the first game I remember, but then thru the first couple weeks the entire team did and if there is one thing Brice is known for, it's being able to tackle. I think they told him to not be so reckless with his body though, ti wasn't holding up. He's adjusting, but otherwise he hasn't been as bad as everyone seems to imply.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brice has had 2 plays that stand out in everyone's mind. Both went for TD's. Good news he was there, bad news he couldn't make a play on the ball. He had a poor tackling day the first game I remember, but then thru the first couple weeks the entire team did and if there is one thing Brice is known for, it's being able to tackle. I think they told him to not be so reckless with his body though, ti wasn't holding up. He's adjusting, but otherwise he hasn't been as bad as everyone seems to imply.

Brice had a terrible game against Washington, missing a total of four tackles on top of giving up a touchdown. Other than that his tackling has been fine.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Definitely don't think it should of been a penalty. But I also don't think it was a great play by any means. It was good that he held onto the ball but I think it was pretty lucky it landed right in his hands. He clearly closed his eyes and went for the player and not the ball just lucked out

D

Deleted member 6794

Definitely don't think it should of been a penalty. But I also don't think it was a great play by any means. It was good that he held onto the ball but I think it was pretty lucky it landed right in his hands. He clearly closed his eyes and went for the player and not the ball just lucked out

In my opinion the interception was an awesome play by Clinton-Dix.

H

HardRightEdge

[Clinton-Dix] clearly closed his eyes and went for the player and not the ball just lucked out
That's a fanciful description of what happened. With arms outstretched he was playing the ball all the way which is why he didn't draw a flag for whacking Benjamin in the head. If he closed his eyes on impact it's not evident in the replay, one way or the other, but that's neither here nor there since he caught the d*mn ball. Credit where credit is due.

One could argue Allen should not have thrown that ball. A better QB might not. But capitalizing on an opponent's mistakes is a big part of success in this game or any other.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
add me to that list, it was a great play. Playing ball all the way, eyes opened or closed. It's not an unnatural response for your eyes to close before an impact it can sense is coming. His shoulders were squaring up to the ball, not the receiver, outstretched to ball, not receiver etc. But he was playing ball all the way and he beat him to it and got it.

H

HardRightEdge

One of the best plays I’ve seen him make in his entire career........... even if he was lucky.
I'd rank this one pretty low on the "luck" scale and pretty high on the "making a play" scale.

To me luck is more like standing around in the middle of the field 10 yards behind the intended receiver while the QB air mails the ball into his breadbasket for no good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/9kmpsj/green_bays_pff_grades_through_week_4/

If anyone is interested, here is PFF's grades of the team through week 4.

Interesting to see HHCD so highly rated.. I'm starting to think that he struggles mainly with closing tackles but is really good in coverage. It would make sense.. if he's doing well in coverage we probably don't see him much on the screen. Plus have 3 INTs helps a ton.

Blake Martinez grades higher than I'd expect as well. Hopefully he keeps improving off his performance against Buffalo.

Kenny Clark is a monster.

Aaron Jones.. get this man more touches!
This is awesome info if it’s even close to reality. Please feel free to post that link weekly. I love the depth chart layout. I think you’d achieve even greater hero status on the forum if you had another link with our upcoming opponent’s chart.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny is an absolute monster. I can't say enough good things about this young man and his still growing potential. Not often is an interior DL "must see TV" but I often find myself focused on him after the snap. Absolute beast.

OP
OP
James from IL

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is awesome info if it’s even close to reality. Please feel free to post that link weekly. I love the depth chart layout. I think you’d achieve even greater hero status on the forum if you had another link with our upcoming opponent’s chart.

I cannot take credit for this post or chart, I just saw it while browsing the Packers subreddit, but if the OP posts a weekly one on the reddit, I will be sure to share!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts