PFF Grades of Best and Worst from Jets Loss...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still freaking bitter about this game but here we go for what they're worth (yes subjective folks) here are the best and worst PFF grades from both sides of the ball and having 10 snaps minimum:

BEST OFFENSE
David Bakhtiari 85.2
Marcedes Lewis 84.7
Robert Tonyan 77.2
Josh Myers 63.3
Allen Lazard 60.3

WORST OFFENSE
Jon Runyan 41.9
Juwann Winfree 43.4
Romeo Doubs 45.6
Royce Newman 45.8
AJ Dillon 49.5

BEST DEFENSE
Kingsley Enagbare (only 11 snaps) 90.5
Adrian Amos 73.8
Dean Lowry 73.1
Preston Smith 71.3
Kenny Clark 69.8

WORST DEFENSE
TJ Slaton 33.6
Eric Stokes 42.4
Quay Walker 45.9
Rasul Douglas 55.9
Rashan Gary 56.2

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
WORST OFFENSE
Jon Runyan 41.9
Juwann Winfree 43.4
Romeo Doubs 45.6
Royce Newman 45.8
AJ Dillon 49.5

This is where it's at right here. Runyan and especially Newman got owned by the Jets defensive line. After rewatching quite a bit of this game, Newman was just getting handled. Winfree had a bad drop. That's about it. He's not going to be relied on. I'm also not worried about Doubs. He has done plenty to show he belongs. Dillon is on the list because of his fumble. He also needs to get more burst. I'm not worried about him either. It's getting whooped in the trenches that's the issue. That needs to be step number one to fixing this team.

Reaction score
WORST OFFENSE
Jon Runyan 41.9
Juwann Winfree 43.4
Romeo Doubs 45.6
Royce Newman 45.8
AJ Dillon 49.5

This is where it's at right here. Runyan and especially Newman got owned by the Jets defensive line. After rewatching quite a bit of this game, Newman was just getting handled. Winfree had a bad drop. That's about it. He's not going to be relied on. I'm also not worried about Doubs. He has done plenty to show he belongs. Dillon is on the list because of his fumble. He also needs to get more burst. I'm not worried about him either. It's getting whooped in the trenches that's the issue. That needs to be step number one to fixing this team.
Good points.

I Missed the first half last Sunday and just rewatched it last night and kinda replayed many snaps. I was actually surprised that our Offense did have some success in the passing game, we actually matched the Jets total O yards production believe it or not!
One glaring issue in this game and it’s happened in the last several weeks is we need to ge more conservative when at the opposing 35-40 yard line. We’re basically teetering on FG range. Ideally have quick O plays or designed for an overly assertive pass rush there. Those should be shorter, high probability type throws. A slant, a screen (like Zach did to us). Not trying to go through 3 reads yards downfield field for 15 yards and taking a sack. Rodgers keeps getting sacked in these situations (because opponents DC understand a sack is statistically erasing points)
I’d rather have Dillon run for 2-3 yards than take a sack.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF depends on a single play and ordinary persons (I believe) to come up with stats, so that it is almost useless. There is no context. Which obviously is hard to quantify anyway. It can be misleading to a fault.

Reaction score
The other point from film review is that we largely beat ourselves!

1. Our Offense fumbled the ball on our own 34 yard line? Really? That’s points they gave away.

2. Our Offense got a drive starting at the Jets 36 yard line! We went -8 yards! Thats an area that can be 4 down territory if you get to a 4th and short.
In this case Elgton erases a 22 yard run and eventually it’s 3rd and 9 and is try to get Crosby a shot at a FG inside 50 yards. You need 3 yards for a 49 yard attempt. If you get more great, but take the points.

That might sound trivial to take 3 points. However if we don’t have that Punt blocked that’s a 10 point swing!!
I’m not even including them blocking our other longer FG.

We already know it’s going to be a lower scoring game because our D is pretty good. Take the 3 points! This isn’t a 45 to 45 Arizona shootout here!
The score was 0-0 at 12:00 in Qtr2. Situational here, It would’ve been
3-0 Packers at 12:00 in Qtr2. Instead we got fancy and failed.

Our Offense scored +10 and directly gave away -3 points to the Jets on a fumble and another -3 on not taking the FG on 3rd and 9.

Our Special teams gave away another -10 points. We put up 280 yards of Offense and yet gave them -16 points on errors. That’s what they call it in baseball it’s the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF depends on a single play and ordinary persons (I believe) to come up with stats, so that it is almost useless. There is no context. Which obviously is hard to quantify anyway. It can be misleading to a fault.

Look I literally put weekly some kind of note about take them as you want or that yes they're not perfect - that are far more analytical than just couch-gut-scratching feelings.....gets old.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look I literally put weekly some kind of note about take them as you want or that yes they're not perfect - that are far more analytical than just couch-gut-scratching feelings.....gets old.
Not old enough. I really think it is counter productive. Too many grand conclusions based on some weird formula

Reaction score
I like the analytics. It’s a good metric to check consistency. Maybe it’s not perfect 1 week, but if you start hitting the bottom 5 regularly? There’s your problem.

I was impressed with Enagbare, he showed some nice Flashes. That’s be great if we can get a good regular 3rd pass rusher to sub. He looks the part.

Also Tonyan looked terrific. I’m really happy for Bobby, looks like he’s back!

Both Runyon and Newman got embarrassed. Newman about got Rodgers killed by trying to block a rusher with a gentle hand push. Had Royce went up and aggressively found him (nobody was lineup up over him he was looking for someone to block) instead of being ultra passive? Rodgers doesn’t take a free running DL that slammed him good. Very poor play and he needs to sit a game imo. I know He’s a good kid, but he’s not ready for this level just quite yet. He’s a good backup level in limited games. Maybe next year? Idk

Even Amari caught a nice pass. Maybe this is his last Opportunity to shine?

Saw Sammy is jogging around today. I know Sammy is more a WR2, but we desperately need him because he’s fully enveloped in the play book, so he’s literally plug n play and I think Rodgers fully trusts him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not old enough. I really think it is counter productive. Too many grand conclusions based on some weird formula

Pointless posts get older....especially when the person going out of their way to merely share another metric which has the value anyone wants to place on it LITERALLY acknowledges it is not a perfect science. Neither is a QBR or Passer Rating...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pointless posts get older....especially when the person going out of their way to merely share another metric which has the value anyone wants to place on it LITERALLY acknowledges it is not a perfect science. Neither is a QBR or Passer Rating...
But "not perfect" is not good enough for an explanation. It makes it sound like you can really use it as a guideline...which I don't think you can. A bit like throwing darts. But OK, I'll leave it at that...if you can.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
But "not perfect" is not good enough for an explanation. It makes it sound like you can really use it as a guideline...which I don't think you can. A bit like throwing darts. But OK, I'll leave it at that...if you can.
I would say this, people using PFF as the Bible gets old to me. Same with the "next gen" stats. However, it provides a baseline for discussion. As you could see, I basically tossed out Dillon and Doubs rankings. It's not like we're going to cut those guys or anything like that. Newman and Runyan played a lot of snaps and it tells a story of their production in this game. It's not a predictor. You can't use them to tell how a player will play in the future. It just tells a story. It also gives beer swilling fat guys something to talk about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still freaking bitter about this game but here we go for what they're worth (yes subjective folks) here are the best and worst PFF grades from both sides of the ball and having 10 snaps minimum:

BEST OFFENSE
David Bakhtiari 85.2
Marcedes Lewis 84.7
Robert Tonyan 77.2
Josh Myers 63.3
Allen Lazard 60.3
Some one here told me Josh Meyer’s sucked in this game

D

Deleted member 6794

Dillon is on the list because of his fumble. He also needs to get more burst. I'm not worried about him either.

For the record, PFF "credited" Rodgers with the fumble but not Dillon.

One glaring issue in this game and it’s happened in the last several weeks is we need to ge more conservative when at the opposing 35-40 yard line. We’re basically teetering on FG range. Ideally have quick O plays or designed for an overly assertive pass rush there. Those should be shorter, high probability type throws.

Unfortunately those plays aren't high probability ones for the Packers this season anymore.

PFF has former players, coaches and scouts doing the grading for them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say this, people using PFF as the Bible gets old to me. Same with the "next gen" stats. However, it provides a baseline for discussion. As you could see, I basically tossed out Dillon and Doubs rankings. It's not like we're going to cut those guys or anything like that. Newman and Runyan played a lot of snaps and it tells a story of their production in this game. It's not a predictor. You can't use them to tell how a player will play in the future. It just tells a story. It also gives beer swilling fat guys something to talk about.
I would guess the Packers coaches grades would at least be somewhat similar to PFF's. It's not likely that our staff had Runyan, Newman, Walker and Stokes grading out as best standouts.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, PFF "credited" Rodgers with the fumble but not Dillon.

Unfortunately those plays aren't high probability ones for the Packers this season anymore.

PFF has former players, coaches and scouts doing the grading for them.
Really does not matter who gets credit for the fumble. When you watch it looks like both are responsible and how many times in 3 years has Rodgers handed off to Dillon. No one touched them. No one was in the backfield....yet. Those plays may not be high probability but neither are the long shots. Moving the chains is the first priority. Points on the board is next. We may not have the best FG unit in the league but they can be the difference in close games. That is all the 9ers needed last January. Punting and turning the ball over on downs do not usually win games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure why, Rodgers put the ball right between the numbers. Seems this was all on Dillon to me.

I agree with you. The official gamebook lists Rodgers as the one who fumbled as well though.

Really does not matter who gets credit for the fumble. When you watch it looks like both are responsible and how many times in 3 years has Rodgers handed off to Dillon. No one touched them. No one was in the backfield....yet.

In my opinion the fumble is solely on Dillon. Rodgers doesn't deserve any blame for it.

Those plays may not be high probability but neither are the long shots.

Agreed, just wanted to point out that the Packers have a hard time making high probability plays this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after a 30 second listen to some national sports radio guys yesterday it seems the drums are beating again. I assume the fumble was Rodgers' fault because he was sending a message to the coach he's trying to run out of town that he's in charge and running the ball is dumb so he's sabotaging everything until the ego maniac gets his way.

D

Deleted member 6794

after a 30 second listen to some national sports radio guys yesterday it seems the drums are beating again. I assume the fumble was Rodgers' fault because he was sending a message to the coach he's trying to run out of town that he's in charge and running the ball is dumb so he's sabotaging everything until the ego maniac gets his way.

I agree, that seems like a sound explanation :eek: