Pettine could be the next Packers HC

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of me wanted a younger more innovative offensive minded HC....but I think Gute will do the opposite. The defense isn’t the Ravens or anything...but the improvement from what they looked like years past could earn a Pettine the next shot at being the next HC if McCarthy were to be replaced. I’ve been on record stating that maybe they should bring in a defensive minded guy because of the many woes we had on that side of the ball...but I wasn’t opposed of to having a offensive guy with creativity.

I think if the Packers don’t make the playoffs this year? Or even lose a tough game in the playoffs ? And the defense plays well? but the offense stinks...it’s going to be hard to replace Pettine....especially after years of bad defense in GB. He could very well end up the guy who replaces MM...especially if the defense finishes at the top of the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Pettine having a career record of 10-22 the Packers might be smart looking in a different direction when thinking about McCarthy's replacement if Murphy decides to move on from MM.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Pettine having a career record of 10-22 the Packers might be smart looking in a different direction when thinking about McCarthy's replacement if Murphy decides to move on from MM.

So what you’re saying is you’d prefer a different candidate than Pettine? I’m completely ok with that...but my hopes would be the new guy retains Pettine if we finish with a pretty good defense. Would hate to see the defense suck again.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Pettine is well on his way to getting this defense back to respectability, and dare I say perhaps a solid unit?

That being said, I'd like to see how this team performs when the offense gets its rhythm going, which it will. The Packers have never had an offense ranked out of the top 10 with Rodgers being the starter (2015 was the one outlier year), and I don't think this year will be any different.

I'm not going to entertain any idea of firing McCarthy at this point. Too much ball left to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

So what you’re saying is you’d prefer a different candidate than Pettine? I’m completely ok with that...but my hopes would be the new guy retains Pettine if we finish with a pretty good defense. Would hate to see the defense suck again.

I would prefer the Packers to hold on to McCarthy as that would mean the team has had a successful 2018 season.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During Pettine's first press conference, they asked if he wanted to try head coaching again in the future. He said NO. He said as a DC he gets to focus 90% on football and 10% on administrative stuff. As a HC, it was the opposite and he didn't like it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of me wanted a younger more innovative offensive minded HC....but I think Gute will do the opposite. The defense isn’t the Ravens or anything...but the improvement from what they looked like years past could earn a Pettine the next shot at being the next HC if McCarthy were to be replaced. I’ve been on record stating that maybe they should bring in a defensive minded guy because of the many woes we had on that side of the ball...but I wasn’t opposed of to having a offensive guy with creativity.

I think if the Packers don’t make the playoffs this year? Or even lose a tough game in the playoffs ? And the defense plays well? but the offense stinks...it’s going to be hard to replace Pettine....especially after years of bad defense in GB. He could very well end up the guy who replaces MM...especially if the defense finishes at the top of the league.

Brilliant idea after the unstoppable machine he created in Cleveland. SMH

CaptainCanuck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have some young up and comer like Josh McDaniels.

Maybe he will actually take the job this time...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

McDaniels is perfectly suited for an offensive coordinator/play caller position. I'm skeptical that he would be a good head coach in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt McDaniels is interested in taking any other head coaching job outside of New England. After what he pulled on the Colts this offseason the Packers shouldn't even care about contacting him.

Even Belichick failed in Cleveland. I'm not going to hold that against Pettine.

The Browns significantly regressing during Pettine's second season as their head coach has me worried though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Belichick failed in Cleveland. I'm not going to hold that against Pettine.

That said, I'm not an advocate for Pettine being the head coach for the Packers.

It's not Pettine in particular, just a plethora of terrible ideas I keep seeing floated around for replacing MM which is why me and several others get fired up against the MM bashers. I mean Josh McDaniels? Seriously? I'm not even going to consider that colossal head coach failure or even listen to people make up stupid excuses for him.

Lol I still remember people being high on Gruden. How bout them 1-5 Raiders people? How bout that?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt McDaniels is interested in taking any other head coaching job outside of New England. After what he pulled on the Colts this offseason the Packers shouldn't even care about contacting him.

The Browns significantly regressing during Pettine's second season as their head coach has me worried though.

Let alone the way he ran the Broncos into the ground.

Also worth noting the Browns Bellichek was with were the old Browns now known as the Ravens.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brilliant idea after the unstoppable machine he created in Cleveland. SMH

You missed my point. Please read what I said about the defense and stop talking about what he did in Cleveland....because even tho His record wasn’t great they still had a top 10 defense and a crap QB.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You missed my point. Please read what I said about the defense and stop talking about what he did in Cleveland....because even tho His record wasn’t great they still had a top 10 defense and a crap QB.

I read your post in its entirety and I don't willfully ignore a coach candidates track record ever

D

Deleted member 6794

While that's true for the first season of Pettine's tenure as head coach in Cleveland the Browns finished 29th in points allowed during the following year.