Penalty for OTA Fight?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/02/packers-fight-in-otas-which-could-be-a-bad-sign/

I don't read enough of this stuff to know what is and isn't hype, but I thought that this article was interesting. It seemed like click bait and I took it. I guess the question would be what type of drill were the Packers doing when the fight occurred. In the end, the real question will be whether Green Bay is penalized in some fashion.

It seems Spriggs took exception to Calvin bull rushing him in a team drill. I don't believe there's any reason to be concerned about the Packers using illegal methods during offseason practices.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like the intensity we have heard coming out of camp. First Jones laying the wood on Janis now Spriggs showing some fire, no doubt those Indiana lineman are tough as nails!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like the intensity we have heard coming out of camp. First Jones laying the wood on Janis now Spriggs showing some fire, no doubt those Indiana lineman are tough as nails!

It reminds me nutcracker drills with Ray Nitschke during the Lombardi era.

But honestly this reeks of lack of team spirit. Hopefully it's just players trying to prove themselves and going a bit too far. Still, to be condoned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they probably aren't Goodell's rules, but rules the players union put in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyway, these practices are open to the public aren't they? I doubt they're running nutcracker drills or anything at this point. I'm sure there are a ton of people around the league that would like to see the Packers get fined, but I think someone is just looking for a story at this point.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these OTA's are no pads and all passing so far. UDFA Johnathan Calvin just being overly aggressive trying to stand out. Isolated incident, not a widespread violation... just some writer gunning for clicks.

D

Deleted member 6794

anyway, these practices are open to the public aren't they? I doubt they're running nutcracker drills or anything at this point.

There are some OTA practices open to the public with the fight between Spriggs and Calvin happening during one of them. I absolutely agree it's a non-issue.

H

HardRightEdge

It seems Spriggs took exception to Calvin bull rushing him in a team drill. I don't believe there's any reason to be concerned about the Packers using illegal methods during offseason practices.
It should be clarified that Packer policy is no bull rushes in non-padded practices. Calvin gets a little overenthusiastic, Spriggs responds. No big deal. It's still football.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what the NFL rules are regarding this. But it seems to me it should be an internal Packers affair, up to the GB coaches or administration to address. I'm not saying that is the way it is, but it seems to me that's how it should be.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know what the NFL rules are regarding this. But it seems to me it should be an internal Packers affair, up to the GB coaches or administration to address. I'm not saying that is the way it is, but it seems to me that's how it should be.

While I agree that the way a team practices should be up to the coaching staff the CBA signed in 2011 massively limited the number of practices, especially padded ones, and contact allowed in those.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that the way a team practices should be up to the coaching staff the CBA signed in 2011 massively limited the number of practices, especially padded ones, and contact allowed in those.
I'm aware of that, but it depends on the nature of the incident here. If Green Bay was running drills with more contact than is permitted, that's one thing, and something for the league to handle. But if it's just a case of a couple of players getting too excited and getting into a fight, that sounds more like a team issue. IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm aware of that, but it depends on the nature of the incident here. If Green Bay was running drills with more contact than is permitted, that's one thing, and something for the league to handle. But if it's just a case of a couple of players getting too excited and getting into a fight, that sounds more like a team issue. IMO.

In my opinion it's not an issue at all. I don't believe the Packers broke any league rules in an OTA practice open to the public and I'm not worried about tempers occasionally flaring between teammates.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I agree that it's generally a non-issue. However, I wasn't at practice and therefore was relying on the writer indicating that it was potentially similar to the situation that cost Seattle the loss of OTA time and a heavy fine the first time, and then the loss of a draft pick after a subsequent violation.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone keeps stats on this, but it seems as injuries have increased since the 2011 CBA.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO I agree that it's generally a non-issue. However, I wasn't at practice and therefore was relying on the writer indicating that it was potentially similar to the situation that cost Seattle the loss of OTA time and a heavy fine the first time, and then the loss of a draft pick after a subsequent violation.

The Packers' beat writers didn't consider it to be an issue at all.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...book-fight-spices-packers-practice/364242001/

I don't know if anyone keeps stats on this, but it seems as injuries have increased since the 2011 CBA.

According to Football Outsiders' adjusted games lost metric injuries have significantly increased since the new CBA was inteoduced in 2011.

Members online

Latest posts