Payton in, Childress out coaching search picture

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Jan. 06, 2006

Payton in, Childress out of coaching search picture
Sean Payton, Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach, interviewed Thursday for Packers head coach.

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach Sean Payton interviewed Thursday for the Green Bay Packers’ head coaching job while another candidate, Brad Childress, seems headed to the Minnesota Vikings without ever meeting with Ted Thompson, the Packers’ general manager.

Childress, the Philadelphia Eagles’ offensive coordinator, missed his interview with Thompson on Wednesday because the Vikings kept him in Minnesota longer than anticipated. His interview with Thompson was rescheduled for early next week, but an NFL source said Thursday night that the Vikings had worked out a deal to hire Childress as their next coach.

Payton, who also is the Cowboys’ passing game coordinator, was at the Packers’ offices on Thursday.

He’s one of at least six candidates, excluding Childress, who have interviews scheduled with the Packers. Thompson will meet:

• Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon today.

• Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera in Chicago on Saturday.

• San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, possibly as early as Sunday.

• San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips on Monday.

• Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates next Thursday.

Thompson also is expected to interview Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm and New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis sometime next week. Both are off-limits this week because their teams are in the playoffs; interviews will be allowed next week. Thompson also might be interested in Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has not emerged as a candidate, and it’s unclear whether Thompson has tried to set up an interview. Houston reportedly wants an interview with Ferentz, too.

Thompson’s search for a new coach appears to be wide open. It could last into late next week unless a candidate bowls him over before then. His selection will come down to a combination of the type of coach he’s seeking and the feeling he gets from interviews.

He likely has placed a priority on finding a coach who can work well with quarterback Brett Favre if he returns next season and develop first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers as Favre’s successor. That explains his interest in Childress, Payton and McCarthy.

The list of candidates also suggests Thompson is looking for a more charismatic and hard-nosed coach than the low-key Mike Sherman, who nonetheless re-established order and discipline in the wake of Ray Rhodes’ failed 1999 season. Grimm, Rivera, Bates, McCarthy and perhaps Rivera fit that mold.

Payton, 42, is considered one of the NFL’s brightest young offensive assistants. He has an intriguing background that includes strong ties to Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden and Dallas coach Bill Parcells.

Payton became a Gruden protégé in 1997, when Gruden was Philadelphia’s offensive coordinator and he was a quality-control assistant who worked with the Eagles’ quarterbacks. Payton learned the West Coast offense and the teaching methods Gruden learned as an assistant under former Packers coach Mike Holmgren. One source characterized Payton as a “spongeâ€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do NOT hire this guy TT..

His play calling absolutely SUCKED when he was with the Giants...that Fassel had to take over...

and HE can't even get a HC job in the NFL...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody who Parcells entrusts to call plays has to know something about football. I'm undecided about him but I do not believe that he sucks...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I read about the guy, the more I like Payton. As you said ND....if Bill Parcells entrusts the guy to run his offense, he has to have something cooking that is mighty tasty.

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read where Marco Riveria loved Payton in Dallas and would hate to see him go. So far I like him or Bates.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's true..i would trust Parcells..

But there was a very ugly incident in New York a few years ago....

(and the play calling was bad...hmm..did he get better..or better personel.?..i don't know...)

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
That's true..i would trust Parcells..

But there was a very ugly incident in New York a few years ago....

(and the play calling was bad...hmm..did he get better..or better personel.?..i don't know...)

Can you say.....Kerry Collins?
Hammer

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to see bates as h.c. but the guy from dallas seems to be what they need to keep favre,i think that is why they are looking at him,because of vinnie brunell and beslow older q.b. just as long as the h.c. gets us where we need to be i'll be happy.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I share others' doubts about Payton's play-calling with the Giants. I remember how much better the Giants' offense was when Fassel took over. But obviously Bill Parcells doesn't have a problem with this, so maybe I shouldn't either.

Pack 66: Do you think Parcells was wrong to trust his play-calling to Payton? It could be that Payton learned from his mistakes in New York and then got better, which does happen sometimes, especially with younger coaches. When I saw the Cowboys this year, the play-calling seemed pretty good.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in range of NY's top sports radio station WFAN, and listen to their shows almost every day on my way to work...

To hear the "horrible coach," "Absolute incompetent dumb-****" Payton trashing that went on day in and day out when he was with the Giants would boggle your minds. Absolute hatred from a wide range of callers and radio personalities.

Who knows if they're right...But when I think of Payton, all I can think of is the multitude of rants I've heard about how bad a coach Payton is.

Made the Sherman rants look small by contrast.

Payton talking to the Pack, scares me. I think many would hate him, pretty quick.

Members online

Latest posts