Packers were the only team to work out Bush at USC Pro Day

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Up close and personal
Todd Korth
PackerReport.com Apr 3, 2006

Packers work out Bush individually at USC's Pro Day

Packers scouts were at USC's Pro Day on Sunday and were the only NFL team to work out the star running back Reggie Bush individually, PackerReport.com has learned.

Bush was used at receiver for almost the entire workout. He did not take a handoff during the workout and only performed a few running back drills toward the very end of the session. TFY Draft Preview's Tony Pauline, who was at the Pro Day, said Bush looked great in the various drills in front of scouts.

Bush is projected by many to be the top pick in the April 29-30 NFL draft. The Packers own the No. 5 pick, and if Bush falls for whatever reason, likely would select him to improve their weak rushing attack.

The Packers recently re-signed veterans Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport, but both are coming off serious leg injuries. Samkon Gado, signed off the street last season, likely will be Green Bay's top running back when the team opens training camp.

Here is Scout.com's prospect profile on the 5-foot-11, 201-pound Bush:

40 time: 4.45

Year: 3Jr

Bio: Three-year starter awarded both All-America and All-Conference honors since his freshman campaign. Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year last season when he also won the Heisman Trophy, Doak Walker Award and Walter Camp Award. Rushing numbers last season included 187/1,658/15 with 31/383/2 as a receiver. Averaged 17 yards on 23 kick returns and 9.9 yards on 18 punt returns with an additional score. Sophomore ground totals included 143/908/6 with career-best receiving numbers of 43/509/7. Averaged 15.7 yards on 24 punt returns with two scores that season.

Positives: Electrifying skill player who is a threat to break games open any time he handles the ball. Runs with terrific pad level and displays outstanding vision. Quick-footed, sets defenders up, then freezes them at the point of attack and immediately cuts back against the grain. Has a terrific burst of speed yet at the same time is deceptively strong and does not go down without a fight. Waits for blocks to develop anywhere on the field and does an outstanding job following them. Creates if nothing is available and consistently keeps the play in bounds, picking up extra yardage. Natural receiver who makes the difficult reception in mid-air or the acrobatic catch running full speed. Runs to daylight in the open field.

Negatives: Not a heavy-duty ball handler who can take a constant pounding. Loses out in battles as a receiver.

Analysis: While he may not be an every-down back who can handle a full workload, Bush’s versatility and explosiveness projects well to the next level. Can be productive in a variety of ways and is a special prospect - will impact as a rookie.

I know this doesn't mean much, but I was shocked when I read that the only team to work him out individually was the Packers. Why the hell is that? I would think that the Texans would be a little interested at least, considering that they have the #1 pick and all. This can't be true; I would think that some other franchises would be smart enough to work him out. :-?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is strange. The Texans probably didn't work him for one of the following reasons....they already know he is their man OR...they already know they are trading the pick to Green Bay,

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or GB likes to cover all their bases.

OR....GB is a ****, and wants Bush to get hurt so they can laugh at the texans!

Or....i dunno...im glad they worked him out though. I dont think it means we're gonna get him, by any means.

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers were the only team to work out Bush at USC Pro D

tromadz said:
or GB likes to cover all their bases.

OR....GB is a ****, and wants Bush to get hurt so they can laugh at the texans!

Or....i dunno...im glad they worked him out though. I dont think it means we're gonna get him, by any means.

I don't think we're gonna get him either, which is why I thought it was strange. Why would the team with the #5 pick be the only team to work out the projected #1 pick? THAT'S JUST CrAaAaZy!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted is a draft man. The draft is his thing(supposedly). I am sure he is covering all of his bases.

Id rather him cover all his bases than just ASSUME things.

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups. (Tango and cash..i think...some action movie)

edit - it was "Under Seige 2: Dark territory" btw

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe TT is trying to go after him. I would love it but I'm sure I'm in the minority. I see most of the workout is as a WR...interesting!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Maybe TT is trying to go after him. I would love it but I'm sure I'm in the minority. I see most of the workout is as a WR...interesting!

Talk about a "**** pick" but I don't know that it'd be best for the packers...I'd rather have an everydown back, rather than a situational home run hitter...although I suppose he has the same mold as Tiki Barber and Barry Sanders, and they wound up being every down players.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah but in a sense he is a every down back. If he's not in the backfield he's in the slot. that would be a very good matchup, bush covered by a Linebacker or safety. Just send him deep, even a Nickel corner can't cover him.

They say one of his flaws is his blocking skills. Why in the hell would you waste Reggie bush as a blocker.

As far as how well he would work here, I think he would work great. We have run with mulitple backs (and from teh sounds of it will continue with that) so he can share with Green or Gado. He would be a great fit here.

It really depends on what hte texans want and how much TT will have to give up, which will probably be a lot.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how often do the packers run a WR reverse, almost none,

If he was in the slot during passing downs, then he wouldn't be in the backfield picking up the blitz.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
That is strange. The Texans probably didn't work him for one of the following reasons....they already know he is their man OR...they already know they are trading the pick to Green Bay,

"...they already know they are trading the pick to Green Bay"

Didn't I already suggest this? Hey Hey! May be I know something afterall?!

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why would you re-sign green and davenport, keep gado and draft Bush????

If green was gone then I say ok...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackwillBEback said:
Why would you re-sign green and davenport, keep gado and draft Bush????

If green was gone then I say ok...

I agree, Im not reading too much into it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah trading up to get him would be bad. If he somehow fell to the 5 spot i say take him but other than that he isn't enough of a need for us to give up picks.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush would have to be arrested for ******** a transvestite hooker, while doing coke off of a cops nightstick..to slide to the 5th spot (even with those actions, i could see him going at 4! lol!)

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson covers all bases. last year, the Packers did their home work concerning Aaron Rodgers. Packers had lots of film on him,Packer scouts had lots of Info on Rodgers etc. Just in case he might become available in 24th round.

Most of the high ranking people in the Packer organization had talked to Aaron Rodgers before the NFL draft over the telephone. Although just about nobody thought he would drop down that far. Ted Thompson talked to everybody in the "draft war room" just before the pick had to be made on draft day about drafting Aaron Rodger. They all said do it!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that this is just covering bases. It's very likely that Bush will not fall to #5, but he is not a lock for #1. I think Houston is playing things out right now looking to trade down for extra picks.

As for GB, we'd probably end up better off trading down a couple spots and picking Huff. Then use the extra 2nd round pick to grab Calhoun, who's very similar to Bush and could fill in very nicely as the 3rd down back or Brian Westbrook type back.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Your reading to much into this, Bush held a private workout with the Texans some time after the combine. He will not be around at #2.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Green Bay is just covering their bases here. If Bush wows the Packers more than any other player then I think Ted Thompson would work something out with the Texans and move up.

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I realize that TT is covering all the bases, I think that goes without saying. The strange thing to me is that no one else worked him out!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ahaug82 said:
I realize that TT is covering all the bases, I think that goes without saying. The strange thing to me is that no one else worked him out!!!

Yea...noone seems to get the point of this thread.

Members online

Latest posts