Packers to Interview Maurice Carthon

Duves

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard on the Radio that Green Bay has scheduled an interview him. He's the OC for the powerful Cleveland Browns.... Here we go.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't believe he is a candidate for a HC job. When has Cleveland ever had a good offense? Not since Bernie Kosar.
Hammer

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are following NFL guidelines. Need to make the big shots happy. It would not look good if a job like GB became open and the didn't interview a wide array of candidates. Expect to hear more of the same. I believe TT has his mind set on two or three guys. The rest is just window dressing.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Good point. We are required to interview one or more minority candidates. I don't know who this guy is, but he may fall into that category. The rule in my opinion is almost offensive. I would be insulted to fly across the country for an "interview" for a job I had no chance of getting just b/c the NFL wanted to improve it's image.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and harlan are going to do this right. They are going to interview minorities, possible candidates, big guns,etc....GB is gonna do this right (i hope)

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
The rule in my opinion is almost offensive. I would be insulted to fly across the country for an "interview" for a job I had no chance of getting just b/c the NFL wanted to improve it's image.

What, and pass up on the free peanuts?

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
Good point. We are required to interview one or more minority candidates. I don't know who this guy is, but he may fall into that category. The rule in my opinion is almost offensive. I would be insulted to fly across the country for an "interview" for a job I had no chance of getting just b/c the NFL wanted to improve it's image.

Yeah, I think it's a dumb rule too. It's 2006. The best coach will be hired regardless of race. I think we've progressed as a society to a point where we no longer need anti-segregation rules to guide us.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Maurice Carthon does get their minority interview ticket punched.

Having such an interview early gets it out of the way and allows for more flexibility.

That's why the rule is stupid. Now teams just interview a minority coach to "get it out of the way". The rule is separating coaches into white and black categories. Can't we just think of them as coaches?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but the NFL is still in a PC racist mode.

There are many good black coaches that teams want. The rule is antiquainted. Herm Edwards, Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy and others show that teams want the best coach period.

My comment was intended that under the current rules it is a practical step for the team.

Anyone wanting to get rid of the rule will be called racist. It is high time somebody called the Jesse Jacksons and Stephen Smith's of the world racists.

The NFL wants success not some PC quota thing. Tagliabue and his old style New York lawyerly ways has to be voted out.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Anyone wanting to get rid of the rule will be called racist. It is high time somebody called the Jesse Jacksons and Stephen Smith's of the world racists.

This is as true as it gets....Jesse Jackson condemns some of the very things that he is. Do you think Jackson would come to the aid of somebody in prison about to get the death penalty if he were white??? The guy tried to defend Tookie Williams, the founder of the Crips. Wow

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's to say TT is just interviewing Carthon to "get it out of the way"? TT may view Carthon as a legitimate candidate. And I don't think any of us are in a position to say he isn't. I'd doubt anyone here knows anything about Carthon. Yes, the browns suck, but they have zero talent also.

Also, I read that Thompson is expected to interview Tim Lewis sometime next week. Why would he interview Carthon to "get it out of the way" when he could fulfill that requirement by interviewing Lewis, who is black?

Oh well, think what you want.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I like a good number of players on the browns, like Northcutt and Droughns(hes their davenport, but hes usually healthy).

from the people TT is interviewing, it sounds like he is searching for our OC, not head coach. At least...i hope.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
The more interviews the better. YOu never know where you may find a gem.

That's what I was thinking. Besides, Thompson did say that in speaking to other people who have hired coaches that it usually turns out to be someone that you would never suspect to be the perfect fit.

Just relax, all. We have absolutely no control over the product on the field so just sit back and enjoy it for what it's worth.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BrettFavre4MVP said:
Who's to say TT is just interviewing Carthon to "get it out of the way"? TT may view Carthon as a legitimate candidate. And I don't think any of us are in a position to say he isn't. I'd doubt anyone here knows anything about Carthon. Yes, the browns suck, but they have zero talent also.

Also, I read that Thompson is expected to interview Tim Lewis sometime next week. Why would he interview Carthon to "get it out of the way" when he could fulfill that requirement by interviewing Lewis, who is black?

Oh well, think what you want.

It's not that I think Carthon isn't a legitimate candidate or that Thompson is interviewing him to "get it out of the way". I just think that the rule is unnecessary and only promotes this "get it out of the way" strategy. If a team is going to hire a head coach that just so happens to be white, they shouldn't be forced to interview a minority coach by the league. I think teams should be able to interview the coaches they want to hire and not just fill racial quotas. I just don't see why people can't just think of them as coaches and not "white" coaches and "black" coaches. That's all.

So yeah, interview as many people as you can... but the rule is unnecessary.

Reaction score
The rule has no place in today's world. Racism and discrimination are things that most people have moved past. To force people of a "minority" to be interviewed is down right insulting, IMO. Football coaches should be, and are, picked on the basis of what they know, not what colour they are. And you still have owners who hire coaches without the rule, and are fine with paying a paltry fine. The fact is the NFL has this rule to create "a sense of equality", but it only reinforces the incorrect notion that colour does matter. This rule should be done away with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts