1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers to Interview Maurice Carthon

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Duves, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Duves

Duves Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just heard on the Radio that Green Bay has scheduled an interview him. He's the OC for the powerful Cleveland Browns.... Here we go.

2. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't believe he is a candidate for a HC job. When has Cleveland ever had a good offense? Not since Bernie Kosar.
    Hammer

3. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a short list of 7-8 candidates, and Carthon falls wayy short of making that list

4. PACKATTACK4

PACKATTACK4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They are following NFL guidelines. Need to make the big shots happy. It would not look good if a job like GB became open and the didn't interview a wide array of candidates. Expect to hear more of the same. I believe TT has his mind set on two or three guys. The rest is just window dressing.

5. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. We are required to interview one or more minority candidates. I don't know who this guy is, but he may fall into that category. The rule in my opinion is almost offensive. I would be insulted to fly across the country for an "interview" for a job I had no chance of getting just b/c the NFL wanted to improve it's image.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    TT and harlan are going to do this right. They are going to interview minorities, possible candidates, big guns,etc....GB is gonna do this right (i hope)

7. LambeauLeaper

LambeauLeaper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What, and pass up on the free peanuts?

8. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think it's a dumb rule too. It's 2006. The best coach will be hired regardless of race. I think we've progressed as a society to a point where we no longer need anti-segregation rules to guide us.

9. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maurice Carthon does get their minority interview ticket punched.

Having such an interview early gets it out of the way and allows for more flexibility.

10. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's why the rule is stupid. Now teams just interview a minority coach to "get it out of the way". The rule is separating coaches into white and black categories. Can't we just think of them as coaches?

11. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree but the NFL is still in a PC racist mode.

There are many good black coaches that teams want. The rule is antiquainted. Herm Edwards, Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy and others show that teams want the best coach period.

My comment was intended that under the current rules it is a practical step for the team.

Anyone wanting to get rid of the rule will be called racist. It is high time somebody called the Jesse Jacksons and Stephen Smith's of the world racists.

The NFL wants success not some PC quota thing. Tagliabue and his old style New York lawyerly ways has to be voted out.

12. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    This is as true as it gets....Jesse Jackson condemns some of the very things that he is. Do you think Jackson would come to the aid of somebody in prison about to get the death penalty if he were white??? The guy tried to defend Tookie Williams, the founder of the Crips. Wow

13. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    The more interviews the better. YOu never know where you may find a gem.

14. BrettFavre4MVP

BrettFavre4MVP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Who's to say TT is just interviewing Carthon to "get it out of the way"? TT may view Carthon as a legitimate candidate. And I don't think any of us are in a position to say he isn't. I'd doubt anyone here knows anything about Carthon. Yes, the browns suck, but they have zero talent also.

Also, I read that Thompson is expected to interview Tim Lewis sometime next week. Why would he interview Carthon to "get it out of the way" when he could fulfill that requirement by interviewing Lewis, who is black?

Oh well, think what you want.

15. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I disagree. I like a good number of players on the browns, like Northcutt and Droughns(hes their davenport, but hes usually healthy).

from the people TT is interviewing, it sounds like he is searching for our OC, not head coach. At least...i hope.

16. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I was thinking. Besides, Thompson did say that in speaking to other people who have hired coaches that it usually turns out to be someone that you would never suspect to be the perfect fit.

Just relax, all. We have absolutely no control over the product on the field so just sit back and enjoy it for what it's worth.

17. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not that I think Carthon isn't a legitimate candidate or that Thompson is interviewing him to "get it out of the way". I just think that the rule is unnecessary and only promotes this "get it out of the way" strategy. If a team is going to hire a head coach that just so happens to be white, they shouldn't be forced to interview a minority coach by the league. I think teams should be able to interview the coaches they want to hire and not just fill racial quotas. I just don't see why people can't just think of them as coaches and not "white" coaches and "black" coaches. That's all.

So yeah, interview as many people as you can... but the rule is unnecessary.

18. BrettFavre4MVP

BrettFavre4MVP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree that rule is insanely stupid. GMs should interview whomever they think is qualified, no matter what color they are.

19. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The rule has no place in today's world. Racism and discrimination are things that most people have moved past. To force people of a "minority" to be interviewed is down right insulting, IMO. Football coaches should be, and are, picked on the basis of what they know, not what colour they are. And you still have owners who hire coaches without the rule, and are fine with paying a paltry fine. The fact is the NFL has this rule to create "a sense of equality", but it only reinforces the incorrect notion that colour does matter. This rule should be done away with.