1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers Release Eleven Players

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Lare, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers Release Eleven Players

posted 08/24/2007

The Green Bay Packers released 11 players Friday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Friday were center C.J. Blomvall, wide receiver Carlton Brewster, fullback Erryn Cobb, punter Ryan Dougherty, defensive end DeVon Hicks, cornerback Antonio Malone, quarterback Ingle Martin, guard Pat Murray, running back P.J. Pope, linebacker Juwan Simpson and tight end Joe Werner.

TT Press Conference at 4:20.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Not a surprise in the group... Martin maybe, but after a year in camp and through the offseason, his time came and went without much proof that he was progressing...

Lare I am calling you quick draw from now on :razz: ...

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    So...nobody important and no surprises (except KINDA ingle, but I said in the gameday chat, he gone, and a lot of people also seen that one coming)

4. Bertram

Bertram Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    No big surprises here.

I'm a little sad Juwan Simpson didn't make it because I thought he was a great UDFA pickup and had a chance to succeed, however Desmond Bishop has been a very positive surprise at LB and might be a big steal :D

5. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    didn't they just sign Cobb?

no surprise about the punter. I don't think he even got a shot during the preseason.

6. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Too bad Ingle Martin didn't pan out. Hopefully we can pick up a quality third QB at the final roster cut down. Maybe we'll elevate Paul Thompson to 3rd QB (I doubt it, though). Maybe we'll just go with 2 QB's.

Some QB's that might be available...

Mark Brunell
    Chris Simms
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Tim Couch (lol)
    Dan Orlovsky
    Derek Anderson
    AJ Feely
    Craig Nall (my pick)
    Kyle Orton
    Ryan Fitzpatrick (my second choice)

7. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with only 2 QBs. Plus, like people were discussing earlier, Holiday could be a emergency backup.

8. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This was the easy cut (probably not for the players, but for the Packers), the hard one comes in a week. By next Saturday, they have to have the roster down to 53 players. That means they have to cut or IR at least 24 more players by then, more if they pick up other players for the regular roster from other teams cutdowns.

9. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i was hoping joe werner would make the team.

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think sticking Thompson on the practice squad and keeping only two QB's is the way to go. That frees up a rosters spot for a 4th RB. Herron, Morency, Jackson, and maybe a guy off of someone's final cut downs.

11. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think the Packer first cut was right on.

12. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of any other player teams have cut???

13. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I agree. Ted Thompson would be a great reserve punt/kick return option. :lol:

:rotflmao:

14. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to burn Ted Thompson's house to the ground

15. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no surprises im happy with the cuts because those guys just werent doing anything, anyways we have 76 currently because Carl-Johan Bjork who was the 77th player was put on the practice squad so he doesnt count againist the number. That means 1 more person has to be cut before Tuesday when we have to be down to 75!

anyways I only want to carry 2 QB's its Brett Favre the Iron Man what is there to worry about.

16. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind myself the idea of carrying two QBs, because really, if Favre and Rodgers are both out, season's over. You can probably find a stopgap on the market if need be if nobody you currently have is worth the development as 3rd QB.

17. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    drop em both.

and make carlyle holiday the 5th WR and also the 3rd string qb.

he was a QB at Notre Dame... and he may never practice at QB but he does know the routes and such.....

im just saying, carry Favre, and Rodgers only... and if its ever an emergency you got Holiday.

because like jdlax said if favre and rodgers go down...its all over anyway.

18. PackerGeek

PackerGeek Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with only keeping 2 QB's but I would still put Thompson on the practice squad so the defense has someone to go after in on the scout team. How often do you ever get to the #3 anyway. The last time I remember was the Tj Rubely incident. Does anyone know kif it's happened since?

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow. I was surprised about Ingle. Not because he was any good, just because he was here a couple years. I sure didn't see anything in the games that made me think he was going to be good, but i didn't really see enough of the guy to judge either way i guess. The Packers saw him in training camps too. So i think they know what they are doing.

20. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Chiefs cut WR Rod Gardner...no other real notables.

21. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The only real surprise in my opinion is that Abdul Hodge didn't get cut yet. I thought for sure he would be after that last game. Perhaps they see enough in him that if he can beat the tendonitus he can play. That injury has really stymied his development.

22. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yared, I have news for you.

Ingle sucks! :wink:

Don't cross any bridges on your evening walks.