Packers pick #5 TREVOR DAVIS, CAL WR

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he looks good for a 5th rounder. hard to tell from highlights alone, but can run away from people, can go over people and can catch on the sideline.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Adams I would be worried. We needed him to step up last year and he completely failed. If it wasn't for Janis heroics in the playoff game last year we would never of had a shot. I don't care if he was a 2nd round pick. He better step his game up fast or he will be by the wayside. IMO.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him or Adams? Abby has better hands but Adams is a speed demon. So which do you choose, hands or speed?

You surely can't be talking about Davonte Adams...I hope you're not calling him a "speed demon". You may want to reevaluate some things. However,If you've been drinking I'll let this comment slide .

D

Deleted member 6794

Davis is a speedy receiver who is capable of making yards after the catch and could turn into a deep threat at the pro level. I wonder if drafting him is a sign of the coaching staff still not feeling comfortable playing Janis more often.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is not getting cut simply because he's one of the best gunners in the league, look how long Jarrett bush stuck around. And he's a far worse DB than Janis is a WR. Abby might get cut because of injury concerns but he seems to be the best route runner minus Nelson. I'd say use Montgomery as the 3rd down/ pass catching back. And cut John Crockett over cutting Abby. Especially since Cobb can play the 3rd down back role as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
A lot was invested in Adams as a #2 (and #2 is also about right describing his play). He may be one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) season-long starting WR I've seen in more than 50 years of watching this team. He's slow, gets little if any separation, and he's dropped the ball too often at critical moments. Other than that he's average. He's going to have to make a leap of gargantuan proportions to play up to his draft status.

As West Coast scout Sam Seale stated in his recent press conference regarding the Trevor Davis pick, "Speed kills." It will be nice to have another receiver around who can actually outrun a DB, especially if he replaces one who can't.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is a speedy receiver who is capable of making yards after the catch and could turn into a deep threat at the pro level. I wonder if drafting him is a sign of the coaching staff still not feeling comfortable playing Janis more often.

I thought the same thing.

Looks like a better version of Janis

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis is not getting cut simply because he's one of the best gunners in the league, look how long Jarrett bush stuck around. And he's a far worse DB than Janis is a WR.

Absolutely agree that Janis won't be cut because of his play on special teams. That doesn't mean he will get more playing time as a receiver though and adding another fast deep threat makes me severly question that.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You surely can't be talking about Davonte Adams...I hope you're not calling him a "speed demon". You may want to reevaluate some things. However,If you've been drinking I'll let this comment slide .

Looking back, the 40 yard doesn't really read good numbers. However he makes good plays when he actually catches the ball. Abbey hasn't seen the field as much and Adams is still averaging 9.7 yards per catch, this past year looked bad I know but I don't think it's a reason to write him off right away. I think he will be usefull if he gets his hands undercontrol. Not saying that we don't have other options, just saying I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking back, the 40 yard doesn't really read good numbers. However he makes good plays when he actually catches the ball. Abbey hasn't seen the field as much and Adams is still averaging 9.7 yards per catch, this past year looked bad I know but I don't think it's a reason to write him off right away. I think he will be usefull if he gets his hands undercontrol. Not saying that we don't have other options, just saying I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

9.7 yards per catch is absolutely terrible as that ranked 46th out of 48 receivers with at least 50 receptions last season. I´m not ready to write him off either but he has to significantly improve over last season´s performance to continue to get on the field.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9.7 yards per catch is absolutely terrible as that ranked 46th out of 48 receivers with at least 50 receptions last season. I´m not ready to write him off either but he has to significantly improve over last season´s performance to continue to get on the field.
That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a WR, and many of our struggles can be attributed to it. His talent is sufficient to be an NFL WR, but I question his desire to even want to get open. I think he's best used as a short yardage possession receiver or on bubble screens. He's almost worthless down the field, as he can't seem to get a lick of separation unless the coverage is blown. He's a 4th or 5th option IMO, they need better guys out there.

Davis looks fine, it's tough to judge anything but speed when all he's doing is running in a straight line, but it appears to be good, though he's only 188. If he were in the 200 range, I'd be more excited. I like his hands, though. Seems like a guy with tools they can work with.

They obviously agree with us that the receivers were too slow last year, with the signing of Cook and this guy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Adams I would be worried. We needed him to step up last year and he completely failed. If it wasn't for Janis heroics in the playoff game last year we would never of had a shot. I don't care if he was a 2nd round pick. He better step his game up fast or he will be by the wayside. IMO.

I'd be more worried if I were Jared Abbredaris. I believe he'd be cut before Adams, but time will tell.

Reaction score
A lot was invested in Adams as a #2 (and #2 is also about right describing his play). He may be one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) season-long starting WR I've seen in more than 50 years of watching this team. He's slow, gets little if any separation, and he's dropped the ball too often at critical moments. Other than that he's average. He's going to have to make a leap of gargantuan proportions to play up to his draft status.

As West Coast scout Sam Seale stated in his recent press conference regarding the Trevor Davis pick, "Speed kills." It will be nice to have another receiver around who can actually outrun a DB, especially if he replaces one who can't.
Yes. Davis would've been a welcome prospect had he been available after the bye last season.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a WR, and many of our struggles can be attributed to it. His talent is sufficient to be an NFL WR, but I question his desire to even want to get open. I think he's best used as a short yardage possession receiver or on bubble screens. He's almost worthless down the field, as he can't seem to get a lick of separation unless the coverage is blown. He's a 4th or 5th option IMO, they need better guys out there.

Davis looks fine, it's tough to judge anything but speed when all he's doing is running in a straight line, but it appears to be good, though he's only 188. If he were in the 200 range, I'd be more excited. I like his hands, though. Seems like a guy with tools they can work with.

They obviously agree with us that the receivers were too slow last year, with the signing of Cook and this guy.

Brings up good points. Seems none of the recievers were giving AR any targets this past year. Jones had to come in and try to pick up slack, and that shouldn't happen. They have said that Davis's route running leaves some to be desired but thats nothing that WR coaches can't work with. The speed is good and the hands are good, which is more than you can say about Adams. As optimistic as I was trying to keep Davante around for a another chance, I guess there isn't much upside on taking a shot in the dark.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Production at Fresno State is why Adams got picked in the 2nd rd. He's shown he can't be really any good if he's got an injury. He has to stay healthy or else he's just taking snaps away from better options. The staff failed roses this last season and it cost us. Took them way to long too Play Abby and Janis over Adams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why does everyone say they took way too long to play 2 very inexperienced guys? because they produced when they put them in? Maybe they produced because they got them ready to play? This staff knows offense, there's a good number of years behind them that show they do. They know how to put good passing targets on the field. It's not as if they have a single season of success at it. maybe, it's possible the only reason those guys had any success at all, is because this staff made them work and prepare for it?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What would have changed? They made the divisional playoff round and lost in overtime due to a defensive brain spasm which gave up a long play. The offense was not at fault in overtime.

D

Deleted member 6794

They have said that Davis's route running leaves some to be desired but thats nothing that WR coaches can't work with. The speed is good and the hands are good, which is more than you can say about Adams. As optimistic as I was trying to keep Davante around for a another chance, I guess there isn't much upside on taking a shot in the dark.

The Packers drafting Davis as a deep threat makes me believe the coaching staff doesn't trust Janis to take the next step. Adams is a more polished receiver with a different skill set he will hopefully be able to show next season.

What would have changed? They made the divisional playoff round and lost in overtime due to a defensive brain spasm which gave up a long play. The offense was not at fault in overtime.

There's absolutely no doubt the offense struggled for most of the second half of last season resulting in several losses.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We must have watched two different games. The offense didn't do Much until mid third quarter. 1st half they looked sluggish like most of the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts