Packers pick #5 TREVOR DAVIS, CAL WR

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-davis?id=2555413.

STRENGTHS
Quality return man specializing in kickoffs with two touchdowns under his belt while at Cal. Former high school long jumper and sprinter with buildup speed to challenge deep safeties from the hash. Competitive runner after the catch with ability to make defenders miss and finish his runs with some authority. Hands are adequate.

WEAKNESSES
Track speed doesn't translate underneath. Needs runway to get going and can't hit jets out of his breaks for separation. Needs to improve hard vertical push to clear space for comebacks and outs. One-speed, rounded routes need work. Struggles to release cleanly against quality press coverage.

SOURCES TELL US
"He's a pretty good returner. I don't see him being drafted, but he could make a team as a return man and last receiver on the depth chart." -- NFC West scout

Reaction score

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holding out hope for our sake that Moritz Boehringer WR goes undrafted and signs on as a Free Agent. With some work he might be special at 6'4" 227lbs running a 4.3 4o yard dash

H

HardRightEdge

Holding out hope for our sake that Moritz Boehringer WR goes undrafted and signs on as a Free Agent. With some work he might be special at 6'4" 227lbs running a 4.3 4o yard dash
Is really on the board at the end of the 5th. round? I'm a bit surprised. Maybe the comparisons to Janis were a cautionary tale. M-B is not Janis though. He looks natural catching the ball and shows good catch radius, whereas Janis is just now coming around to looking like a real receiver. I guess the mental ramp is seen as too steep.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a need for speed. Once Nelson went down and then Montgomery a couple weeks later it was hard watching our guys run routes. Just terrible.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn, LOL, once he gets that edge, he just out runs everyone. Yeah maybe MM has a plan for this guy.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby's been really good in his time on the field. Not sure why this pony is so much more sparkly.

Because he was just drafted by us and hes a speed demon that we really need? Abby is the only WR on our roster who isn't assured a spot. Janis maybe as well, but the rest are. So you do the math.

And by "really good", what do you mean exactly?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fully admit I never heard of Trevor Davis until today. But for a 5th round pick, I like what I see. The 6 current Packer WR's are not top to bottom that strong and as we found out last year, injuries change things. Like this pick...good big hands, speed, played in a good program, intelligent, decent height....just needs to add some muscle and work with AR.

Last edited:

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great speed and good hands, something that AR is needing coming into this year. I see this pick as being more of a return guy with possiblity of starting in the recieving corps somewhere down the line. Sitting pretty deep at the WR position at this point.