OT: How Popular Are The Packers In Wisconsin

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just Green Bay, but the state? Are they more popular than the Brewers & Bucks? If so, what would it take for said teams to overtake them?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not just Green Bay, but the state? Are they more popular than the Brewers & Bucks? If so, what would it take for said teams to overtake them?
Talk about a WELL DUH! post. The NFL itself will have to crash and burn before those teams surpass the Packers. Then they'll mostly fight for second behind the Badgers sports programs. One of the smarter moves (in hindsight) to earn statewide support was to play "real" games outside of GB in other parts of the state for half a century.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whenever the Pack played in San Diego it was like a Packfest. The Packers are one of the top traveling teams in the NFL.
Other than the borders, I would think they are clearly number one in state. I follow the Bucks and Brew Crew too, but like Papa said, the Badgers are my number 2. Football rules in the US, everything else fights for position after that.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whenever the Pack played in San Diego it was like a Packfest. The Packers are one of the top traveling teams in the NFL.

It has nothing to do with traveling. It has to do with a national fan base. When the stands at San Diego, Arizona, Indianapolis, etc are full of Packer fans, most of those fans are locals. Every NFL city has more than its fair share of Packer fans. The Packers have the largest out of state fan base, bar none. The Steelers aren't too far behind with the Cowboys a distant 3rd. That is per draft day commentary about 15 years ago. I doubt it has changed much since then.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with traveling. It has to do with a national fan base. When the stands at San Diego, Arizona, Indianapolis, etc are full of Packer fans, most of those fans are locals. Every NFL city has more than its fair share of Packer fans. The Packers have the largest out of state fan base, bar none. The Steelers aren't too far behind with the Cowboys a distant 3rd. That is per draft day commentary about 15 years ago. I doubt it has changed much since then.
I think I worded that bad. When the Pack travel, they have one of the best attendance’s of the NFL. I think you said it better, but we have the same message.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its cause living in Wisconsin sucks so all the fans move.

Just kidding, the winters are cold and snowy and the summer is hot and muggy but there's them two weeks in the spring and the fall when its just glorious.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its cause living in Wisconsin sucks so all the fans move.

Just kidding, the winters are cold and snowy and the summer is hot and muggy but there's them two weeks in the spring and the fall when its just glorious.
You kidding? Summers are nice up there. If you want hot and muggy, spend a couple summers in Arkansas or Louisiana. Every time you walk outside to take out the trash you have to take a shower when you come back inside.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You kidding? Summers are nice up there. If you want hot and muggy, spend a couple summers in Arkansas or Louisiana. Every time you walk outside to take out the trash you have to take a shower when you come back inside.

Summers in the South are 10x worse than Wisconsin. I spent one summer working in the woods of Arkansas and it was just awful. Poison ivy over my entire torso, constantly sweating, everything in the woods has thorns or wants to bite you. Also ended up with pneumonia, but I can't hold that against the state. Nope. Wisco summer in a heartbeat over anything south of Iowa.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was kidding. No one likes the weather where they live. I lived in Corpus Christie Texas for 6 moths one year (went for spring break and didn't come back for 6 months) and it was awful. Worse than Arkansas or Louisiana you had to take a shower after taking a shower because by the time you dried your bottom half your top half was dripping wet again. I also spent two weeks in New Orleans on my way home from CC. That was miserable as well (Yes I know NO is in LA)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well, aside from the well known ticket waiting list... I've seen final divorce decrees held up for YEARS as the attorneys quibbled over who gets custody of the Packers tix. Estates liquidated within the usual 18 month period .. Unless there are Packer tickets involved - the sale or liquidation of assets is seldom an issue.

Given the number of available tix for a Packers' game versus the Brewers or Bucks, youd think that wouldn't be the case - a lot of Packers' tix are owned en bloc... ie... Associated Bank... et al...so to my way of thinking, the ticket scarcity might might more like a De Beers created market than not.

Still, Packers by far. Baseball season ends as soon as the Pack open camp.

H

HardRightEdge

In Wisconsin, the Packers are a religion, Lambeau is their cathedral, and Aaron Rodgers is their high priest. I thought that was pretty obvious even to those who have never lived there.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very strong, for instance the Milwaukee area and southeastern Wisconsin would put most NFL cities to shame in terms of fan support. On game days I-43 gets rather heavy with traffic heading North. This my friends is why GB still has a team.

Id argue that the entire State with some exceptions has some pretty strong fan support save for some western counties that have a lot of Vikings fans and maybe Kenosha with its Bear fans. Id also say that while Madison has a strong Packer fan presence that the Coasties and flatlanders dilute this base.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, aside from the well known ticket waiting list... I've seen final divorce decrees held up for YEARS as the attorneys quibbled over who gets custody of the Packers tix. Estates liquidated within the usual 18 month period .. Unless there are Packer tickets involved - the sale or liquidation of assets is seldom an issue.

Given the number of available tix for a Packers' game versus the Brewers or Bucks, youd think that wouldn't be the case - a lot of Packers' tix are owned en bloc... ie... Associated Bank... et al...so to my way of thinking, the ticket scarcity might might more like a De Beers created market than not.

Still, Packers by far. Baseball season ends as soon as the Pack open camp.

I read that a Chicago couple remained in a bad marriage for 10 years because of the season ticket situation. The husband said the wife could have them and she said he could

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I read that a Chicago couple remained in a bad marriage for 10 years because of the season ticket situation. The husband said the wife could have them and she said he could

OLD joke :) How about this. Guy to cop: "I had Bears tix on my dash. Someone smashed my windshield and put two more Bears tix on my dash".

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
There are other professionals sports team in Wisconsin besides the Packers?
I grew up in Manitowoc in the 60s and the concept of rooting for any team but the Packers would have bordered on heresy. I doubt it has changed much.

I now live in Arkansas and a Wisconsin summer feels like air conditioned comfort to me.

My wife asked me to kiss her where it's hot & damp. I looked at her and said "We already live in Arkansas, there is someplace worse?"

Reaction score
You fans are right about the heat and humidity here in the south, but we tolerate it for 3 maybe 4 months
and can still enjoy the cooler nights.
Up in the Midwest winter has snowy cold dreary foggy days, and last for 7 months.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wisconsin summers are glorious compared to the southern states. However, the southerners get acclimated to it because they've lived there for a while and their humidity levels don't drastically change throughout the year. For those whom are Wisconsin-born citizens, our summers feel ungodly humid because we're used to having extremely dry & cold winters for 6 months every year.

On-topic: Their is no more loyal fanbase in all of North American sports than Packers fans. If you were born in the state and aren't a fan, you are mercilessly shunned. Even hardcore sports haters know the best Packers players because the Packers are constantly talked about even during the off-season.

I think this is the most accurate order in Wisconsin..
1. Packers
2. Badgers Football
3. Badgers (men's) Basketball
4. Brewers
5. Bucks
6. Badgers (men's) Hockey
7. Chicago Cubs
8. Chicago Blackhawks
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Minnesota Twins
(I would put NASCAR and PGA golf between 6 & 9, but those are leagues rather than teams).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is the most accurate order in Wisconsin..
1. Packers
2. Badgers Football
3. Badgers (men's) Basketball
4. Brewers
5. Bucks
6. Badgers (men's) Hockey
7. Chicago Cubs
8. Chicago Blackhawks
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Minnesota Twins
(I would put NASCAR and PGA golf between 6 & 9, but those are leagues rather than teams).
I'd put Marquette BB at 8 Twins at 9 and all other universities sports pragrams at 10 before hockey or whatever the Wild are. High school sports deserve a mention also.

Members online

Latest posts