Onterrio Smith Suspended for the Year

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Whizzinator done him in. Now they only have 2 good RBs left.

Smith violated substance-abuse policy
Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The NFL announced on Tuesday that troubled Minnesota Vikings running back Onterrio Smith has been suspended for the entire 2005 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Onterrio Smith
Running Back
Minnesota Vikings

The announcement had been expected for several weeks, ever since Vikings head coach Mike Tice suspended Smith indefinitely following an embarrassing run-in at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

Smith was stopped April 21 at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after his bag set off a screening device. A search found several vials of dried urine and ``The Original Whizzinator,'' which is marketed as a way to beat drug tests.

Smith told police the gear was for his cousin. He wasn't charged by police, and the NFL has said possession of the device alone isn't enough to violate league drug policies.

The NFL's news release did not give a specific reason for Smith's suspension.

Smith's attorney, David Cornwell, did not immediately return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Tuesday afternoon.

Smith was expected to battle for the starting running back job with Michael Bennett and Mewelde Moore after leading the team in rushing in 2004.

Smith missed four games last season for violating the league's drug policy, and had two strikes against him before the latest violation. The third strike in the program comes with an automatic one-year suspension.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad thing the guy likes the dope over the NFL. Hope he straightens his life out. I think we still have enough in the backfield to handle the job. Thats if Tice doesn't screw things up.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when a player of any pro team waste their talent and do drugs. So many players have gone down this road before and don't stop till they hit rock bottom... I hope he can get his life turned around,even if he is a Viking. :wink:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts