OL

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We keep talking about RB and QB but until we fix the line no one will succeed. We should go after Mawae as a free agent center and give him a two year deal, look for a backup tackle in free agency then use a second or third round pick to take a guard. This is the best class of guards in a long time and you want to waste a pick on a RB from Wisconsin that is very average. We should use second and third round picks on guards then not worry about that position for the next 10 years.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
We keep talking about RB and QB but until we fix the line no one will succeed. We should go after Mawae as a free agent center and give him a two year deal, look for a backup tackle in free agency then use a second or third round pick to take a guard. This is the best class of guards in a long time and you want to waste a pick on a RB from Wisconsin that is very average. We should use second and third round picks on guards then not worry about that position for the next 10 years.
Just because you draft those guards in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't automatically mean they will pan out.
Remember the "great" Tony Mandarich.
I agree the OL needs serious attention and it will be interesting to see how Teddy handles that situation.
Hard to say now who would be available in freeagency.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB's and QB's are the glamarous picks. Get it done in the trenches and your average QB's and RB's become superstars. Yes I am generalizing but it's a good rule of thumb.

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yooper: Any pick is a risk, you can use the same argument to not take Williams because Reynolds was a bust. Look at the RB busts we had in Fullwood, Darrel Thompson. But a good offensive line is where the offense starts and makes a RB look better.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
:agree:

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Yooper: Any pick is a risk, you can use the same argument to not take Williams because Reynolds was a bust. Look at the RB busts we had in Fullwood, Darrel Thompson. But a good offensive line is where the offense starts and makes a RB look better.
Pax, I have to apologize.
I misread your post, I thought you origanally said to use the 2nd AND 3rd round picks to draft guards.
I was thinking that would be a bit much since we have only 5 or 6 picks.
I do agree on the OL situation.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying all along we've got to fix the offensive line. We went from very good to terrible after losing our guards. Yes, Flanny and Bubba being hurt didn't help but the guys we had in there just didn't get it done.

IMO we need help via FA here as it takes time to develope a guard out of college unless they are really something. There seems to be only one that is supposed to be all that in this draft.

I read about quite a few tackles that look good but few guards in this draft and that position seems to be one of the weaker one's in an otherwise talented draft year.

Drafting the best player seems to be TT's way of doing buisness and with the depth at LB it would seem a good one will be around in the 2nd. Unless someone falls like Rodgers did last year my guess is one of these 5 or so LB's everyone is speaking so highly of will probably get the call.

IMO if we take Mario, get help at guard and LB, we can tweak and add depth elsewhere, and will be much better.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should get that center from new orleans, i heard he can play guard too. I also think maybe we should take that guy from WI who got injurde he was sure first round but got injured. So I think we could take a chance with him in the 3rd round

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
I think we should get that center from new orleans, i heard he can play guard too. I also think maybe we should take that guy from WI who got injurde he was sure first round but got injured. So I think we could take a chance with him in the 3rd round

Who are you referring to from Wisconsin? Raiola or Palermo? Either one of those guys should be available well after the 3rd round.

Members online

No members online now.