official studs and duds week 2 @ minnesota

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scheme would have looked fine last night without missed throws, a pick, fumble, Cook giving away a first down, and missed 4th down conversion.

The offense actually moved the ball well the second half, but mistakes killed them.

Mistakes were a much bigger issue than the scheme.

The Packers' offense has been bad for over a year now. At what point do we stop making excuses? Rodgers averaged 5.9 yards per attempt last night. The Cleveland Browns would be unhappy with that kind of production (Josh McCown averaged a robust 7.9 yards per attempt). The "scheme" in last night's game was similar to the "scheme" the Packers had in the 2014 game against the Bills...running game working well in a tight game? Let's abandon it and put the ball in the hands of an inept passing attack!!!! Eddie Lacy running well? Give him a whopping 12 carries but let Rodgers flail about wildly with the ball on almost 40 dropbacks!

Reaction score
Dud: The punter and Capers pass D was atrocious. If we punt like this when its warm in a dome and no wind we have issues
The last 2 times I remember rushing 3 guys this Sunday.. we gave up a 20 (19?) yard play and a TD. Rushing 3 against a hot QB is a recipe for disaster. That's reserved for a 3rd and 30+ situation (frankly, I'd still rush 4 or keep a spy) or a game ending play when we are winning by several scores etc.. not for an opposing team anywhere inside of field goal scoring range or breathing down the redzone!
I noticed that our D is not aggressive at all within 5 yards where we can legally take chips at their receivers. We essentially let their WR's and TE run wild whenever we rush 5 or more. So we force them to throw very quickly, but then we don't Jam receivers' routes whatsoever which leaves them shredding us repeatedly.
Stud" Jared Cook looks worth his $

PS.. IMO, In a low scoring tight game like this where our Offense is generally struggling and their D has been solid? Always take the points. If it' a shootout then 3 is irrelevant so go for the 4th and 1

D

Deleted member 6794

I noticed that our D is not aggressive at all within 5 yards where we can legally take chips at their receivers. We essentially let their WR's and TE run wild whenever we rush 5 or more. So we force them to throw very quickly, but then we don't Jam receivers' routes whatsoever which leaves them shredding us repeatedly.

Absolutely agree that I would like the Packers cornerbacks to be way more aggressive within the first five yards of a receiver's route.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the people calling the entire secondary a dud we must've watched different games. It was one guy. Randal. Yes he was that bad.
I watched Wisconsin play Miami way back in the Don Morton era. They shellacked us bad and one receiver in particular. I can't remember his name or numbers but he caught like 200 yards in that game. Halfway through it became a comedy extravaganza and every time that guy caught another deep ball there was one question that you kept on asking 'when are we going to double team the guy'?

Point is, where was the help for Randall on Diggs? At what point did it become obvious to everyone on their couch at home that Randall wasn't cutting it. Hmmm? I have never seen coaches so slow to react to situations as Green Bay's. New England can bring in a backup QB with several starters missing and still execute well. MN can bringa new guy and in two weeks he embarrasses us. GB on the other hand, takes half a season to 'get the rhythm', then they melt down under pressure in the post season. There is no 'Force of Will' on this team and hasn't had any for years now. Everything is predicated on a delicate ballet and if anything interrupts that dance, it all goes haywire.

D

Deleted member 6794

Point is, where was the help for Randall on Diggs? At what point did it become obvious to everyone on their couch at home that Randall wasn't cutting it.

It's extremely tough to understand why Randall was still covering Diggs one-on-one after it became clear he wasn't able to cover him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: The new field in the Vikings stadium

Dud: The stadium's infrastructure

That place has smaller, more congested concourses than the old Metrodome. The bathrooms are poorly designed, and after eliminating the fan-favorite troughs they have oddly spaced urinals creating long lines snaking through weird layouts. All of the concession stands had 15-20 people in line even during the middle of drives, let alone during timeouts and between quarters. I could rant on and on about accessibility, signage, people flow, and noise....

However, when you're in your seat that is a VERY impressive stadium. My seat was four rows from the top in the corner of the endzone, but the view was spectacular. The Vikings put on the best halftime show that I've ever seen in my life.

The last major DUD was their new Vikings clap. I personally can't stand when teams feel compelled to manufacture enthusiasm. It started with the organ in baseball games and has gotten worse, even the Packers G Force thing bugs me. Now the Vikings bang a drum and the crowd goes from holding their arms up in a V to an overhead clap.

Almost all of the Vikings fans were in good spirits. The worst fan that I saw was one of our own, who after the first touchdown while the team was doing a tribute to Jacob Wetterling, stood up and drunkenly antagonized all Vikings fans by interrupting the tribute and claiming that the Packers were unbeatable. Luckily that dbag had a friend nearby trying to reel him in.....after he got several beer bottles and other things thrown in his direction.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packers Dud: Aaron Rodgers - he still looks out of sync. He used to throw his WRs open and hit the right spots with pinpoint accuracy. He seems to be missing it for the past year.

headofcheeze29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't missed Sitton and it looks like masthay is still on the team so what's the difference?

You're really going to sit there and act like our O-Line played well last night and we didn't miss Sitton? LOL

You can continue being delusional, but we gave up what? 3 or 4 sacks? Which would have been alot more had we not had a pretty agile QB that's decent at escaping the rush. Perfect example was that TD run AR ran in and got hit late on. If you watch that play again.. the pocket completely collapses and Lane Taylor is sitting there like a complete moron not doing damn thing but taking up space. Please, be my guest, rewind it. You'll get a good laugh out of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're really going to sit there and act like our O-Line played well last night and we didn't miss Sitton? LOL

You can continue being delusional, but we gave up what? 3 or 4 sacks? Which would have been alot more had we not had a pretty agile QB that's decent at escaping the rush. Perfect example was that TD run AR ran in and got hit late on. If you watch that play again.. the pocket completely collapses and Lane Taylor is sitting there like a complete moron not doing damn thing but taking up space. Please, be my guest, rewind it. You'll get a good laugh out of it.

Rodgers holding on to the ball too long looking for the big play hugely contributes to him being sacked a lot of times.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Blah, blah, blah. I haven't rewound anything in over a decade. The line played fine and guard was certainly not the issue. In fact out oline looked as good or better than it has much of the past 5 years. Olines don't hold up for 7 seconds while the qb passes up open receivers looking to extend for a bigger play on any team. Bulaga had a bad play, he doesn't play guard.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Here are Rodgers numbers from his last 15 regular season games:

Comp: 58.1%
Yards/game: 230.1
Yards/attempt: 6.28
Rating: 84.4

Compare those to Blaine Gabbert’s numbers over that same time:

Comp: 61.5%
Yards/game: 244.4
Yards/attempt: 6.92
Rating: 83.8

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After letting this one settle a bit. I really think the problem starts with McCarthy. I believe we are witnessing the end of his era. This team has grown stale, they are making excuses, and the sense of urgency just isn't there. I'm very baffled to why Lacy all of a sudden disappears at games, why are we still playing Adams and we have Ty and Abby watching from the sidelines. No adjustments made. I'm ready to see some change in coaching, maybe it won't be McCarthy at this point. But what the heck does Clements do again? Can we get a real offensive coordinator?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Here are Rodgers numbers from his last 15 regular season games:

Comp: 58.1%
Yards/game: 230.1
Yards/attempt: 6.28
Rating: 84.4

Compare those to Blaine Gabbert’s numbers over that same time:

Comp: 61.5%
Yards/game: 244.4
Yards/attempt: 6.92
Rating: 83.8

Wow. This is incredible, and not just a blip. This is over 15 games?!

If the Packers suddenly traded Rodgers for Gabbert (just a hypothetical, of course), every expert and pundit in the land would obviously significantly downgrade the Packers chances of success in the post season (or even getting to the post season).

Yet, if one was to use only those important stats above, there should be no reason to do so...

(of course, there is more to being a QB than those 4 metrics, but still something to fret over)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The scheme would have looked fine last night without missed throws, a pick, fumble, Cook giving away a first down, and missed 4th down conversion.

The offense actually moved the ball well the second half, but mistakes killed them.

Mistakes were a much bigger issue than the scheme.

Those mistakes affected the results of the Packer offense. Agreed that this made the Offensive scheme look worse.

But, I was mostly pointing out the problems with our defensive scheme, namely the secondary (i.e. not being "in the camera view" of the Viking receivers much of the time as they were catching the ball vs. our receivers being covered adequately throughout their routes).

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: The new field in the Vikings stadium

Dud: The stadium's infrastructure

That place has smaller, more congested concourses than the old Metrodome. The bathrooms are poorly designed, and after eliminating the fan-favorite troughs they have oddly spaced urinals creating long lines snaking through weird layouts. All of the concession stands had 15-20 people in line even during the middle of drives, let alone during timeouts and between quarters. I could rant on and on about accessibility, signage, people flow, and noise....

However, when you're in your seat that is a VERY impressive stadium. My seat was four rows from the top in the corner of the endzone, but the view was spectacular. The Vikings put on the best halftime show that I've ever seen in my life.

The last major DUD was their new Vikings clap. I personally can't stand when teams feel compelled to manufacture enthusiasm. It started with the organ in baseball games and has gotten worse, even the Packers G Force thing bugs me. Now the Vikings bang a drum and the crowd goes from holding their arms up in a V to an overhead clap.

Almost all of the Vikings fans were in good spirits. The worst fan that I saw was one of our own, who after the first touchdown while the team was doing a tribute to Jacob Wetterling, stood up and drunkenly antagonized all Vikings fans by interrupting the tribute and claiming that the Packers were unbeatable. Luckily that dbag had a friend nearby trying to reel him in.....after he got several beer bottles and other things thrown in his direction.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packers Dud: Aaron Rodgers - he still looks out of sync. He used to throw his WRs open and hit the right spots with pinpoint accuracy. He seems to be missing it for the past year.

I was disappointed (but not surprised) to hear that the Vikings chose to continue the tradition of blowing that annoying horn in the new stadium. You could hear it numerous times during NBC's opening last night and my wife asked me what it was. I told her the Vikings have always blown the horn when the team does something well and that I hoped we wouldn't be hearing it much. At least they got rid of the mascot on the motorcycle...didn't they?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was the biggest dud of the night:
  • Not icing the Blair Walsh with 24 seconds left in the first half (I guess he still thinks that time-outs rollover to the second half);
  • Handing the ball to James Starks on 4th-and-2 (Eddie Lacy was built to gain 2 yards);
  • Refusing to use bunch formations or motion to get receivers in favorable match-ups.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mike McCarthy was the biggest dud of the night:
  • Not icing the Blair Walsh with 24 seconds left in the first half (I guess he still thinks that time-outs rollover to the second half)

I truly don't care about McCarthy not icing the kicker. The Packers could have used their final timeout if Adams wouldn't have been flagged for pass interference on the long throw shortly before halftime.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely agree that I would like the Packers cornerbacks to be way more aggressive within the first five yards of a receiver's route.

No kidding, that big play to Diggs (I think), who had free passage to the middle of the field and Randall chasing.
I feel that our pass rush is good enough, that if the CBs would chuck the receivers within 5 yards, the rush would get there.

D

Deleted member 6794

No kidding, that big play to Diggs (I think), who had free passage to the middle of the field and Randall chasing.
I feel that our pass rush is good enough, that if the CBs would chuck the receivers within 5 yards, the rush would get there.

It would for sure mess up the timing of the opponent's passing game more often.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUD... Aaron Rodgers. Who was that guy last night? Total suck bag turnover machine.
DUD MM...Once again the team plays flat. The offense which is supposed to be his strong point, looks dysfunctional, confused and the schemes are **** poor. MM the dope leaves 3 points on the field in a close defensive battle.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id have to say Gunter was the most impressive CB last night. That punch out was a veteran move that was much impressive.

Was just gonna mention Gunter. He's holding his own and is more in the mold of one of these physical, bullying type CBs we've been lacking for who knows how long. Dunno if he has the speed or quickness to hang with a lot of receivers though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs destroyed our D. I predicted that he would tear our corners up with Shields out. We don't have a CB to cover small fast quick change of direction receivers and we payed for it last night. I thought we were going to win but knew Diggs was going to be a big problem...like Abdullah and Rid**** next week, no one we have can stick to these guys hip when they lineup wide.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just gonna mention Gunter. He's holding his own and is more in the mold of one of these physical, bullying type CBs we've been lacking for who knows how long. Dunno if he has the speed or quickness to hang with a lot of receivers though.
I agree very physical but liability in speed department. He seems to have confidence out there too which is huge.

D

Deleted member 6794

Diggs destroyed our D. I predicted that he would tear our corners up with Shields out. We don't have a CB to cover small fast quick change of direction receivers and we payed for it last night. I thought we were going to win but knew Diggs was going to be a big problem...like Abdullah and Rid**** next week, no one we have can stick to these guys hip when they lineup wide.

Abdullah might not be able to play on Sunday because of an injury though.

Members online

Latest posts