Offensive Line Needs to Get Healthy and Consistent

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How much time from the snap to when Rogers is forced to move? Not much, it seems to me, in most cases. If he weren't so excellent in buying time w his feet he'd be on the ground much more than he is. My only criticism of Rogers is his aversion to throwing the ball away when nothing's open. But you have to balance that with the occasional brilliant play he'll make out of nothing.
And that's balanced this season with how often Rodgers has "happy feet" in the pocket when he does have protection.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's balanced this season with how often Rodgers has "happy feet" in the pocket when he does have protection.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with being knocked around on most pass plays.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm sure it has nothing to do with being knocked around on most pass plays.
You meant that sarcastically but at times I'm sure it has nothing to do with his being knocked around. I don't think Rodgers is without blame regarding the performance of the offense this year. Something is off with him and I don't think it can be blamed on everyone except him. For example, when have we seen him miss so many passes so badly over the course of several games? Those bad misses have happened when he's had time to throw and when the receiver is open.

D

Deleted member 6794

How much time from the snap to when Rogers is forced to move? Not much, it seems to me, in most cases. If he weren't so excellent in buying time w his feet he'd be on the ground much more than he is. My only criticism of Rogers is his aversion to throwing the ball away when nothing's open. But you have to balance that with the occasional brilliant play he'll make out of nothing.

Early in the season Rodgers rarely had time in the pocket but that has changed over the last few games (except for the Lions game with the OL playing mostly back-ups). Nevertheless Rodgers tends to move around with him facing no pressure at all. There's no doubt the line hasn't performed up to expectations but Rodgers deserves blame for the offense's struggles as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noted before that Rodger's end of the problems seem to be mostly from the neck up.
He's had a bad case of happy feet often, his accuracy is off- seems to be aiming his throws instead of just throwing it- and seems easily angered and frustrated. He needs to get himself focused and under control.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is without blame
You're probably correct, but I'm not going to criticize the best QB in the league even if he deserves it. I got the blinders on.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he was prone to throwing picks I'd agree with you, but he has to have one of the best TD:INT ratios in the league since he became the starter. I didn't look up stats there, so don't tear me up if it's inaccurate. But Rodgers throws the ball away when he needs to. He's not out there chucking up hopes and prayers into triple coverage. And how many times have we seen him hang onto it long enough for somebody to get open in the back of the endzone over the past several years.

Rodgers is the all-time leader in TD-INT ratio at 4.06 with Brady coming in second at 2.84. With the receivers struggling to get open this season though I would like him to take more chances.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the 10 starters on offense were not the same 10 from last year, I wouldn't have much hope for an offensive turn around this late in the season. But given that this group (less Jordy) has proven they can do it, I am still optimistic that at some point the switch will be turned back on and hopefully soon!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably correct, but I'm not going to criticize the best QB in the league even if he deserves it. I got the blinders on.

2nd best, in a best case scenario.

This year perhaps somewhere between 5th and 10th. If you take the previous seasons out of the equation. This year has been nothing special. He doesn't throw INTs. I get that.

24th in completion percentage (before you say its his receivers dropping balls. NE has more drops than GB by a ton and Tom is ranked 15th.

24th in yards per attempt

20th in yards per game

8th in QB rating

4th in TDs
- These two he has always been good in! Kuddos on that.
1st in INT's

But I think you would be hard pressed to say he's the "best" quarterback in the NFL. To me he would have to make the team around him better. And I just don't see that currently.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I think you would be hard pressed to say he's the "best" quarterback in the NFL
I just base it on his career to this point. Wouldn't trade him for Brady or anyone else in the league.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just base it on his career to this point. Wouldn't trade him for Brady or anyone else in the league.

Really.?. I always find that interesting.

There is no right or wrong answer. Just different ways to think about things.

Just for my money it's hard to beat 6 super bowl appearances, 4 rings. I understand teams win championships, Belichick is a better coach. Still I can't hold that against him. I'd say if Rodgers get to 3 rings I could maybe make the comparison. Just not ready to say the best yet with only 1 appearance.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tom Brady's resume spans 14 years of play. AR is currently at 8 years. My jury is still out.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just for my money it's hard to beat 6 super bowl appearances, 4 rings. I understand teams win championships, Belichick is a better coach. Still I can't hold that against him. I'd say if Rodgers get to 3 rings I could maybe make the comparison. Just not ready to say the best yet with only 1 appearance.
I agree completely with the importance of Championships, which, of course, makes Starr the Greatest of All Time in my mind.
Shoulda had one last year. I'm getting frustrated with the current brain trust of the Packers. On another thread I've been going back and forth about coaching vs players. It's probably some of both, but there is very little coaching turnover with lots of young players changing year after year and no real improvement in results (playoffs, that is). I went through the 70s and 80s with terrible teams, but still had the afterglow of the 60s that made it all acceptable.

2 Championships in the last 47 years should be unacceptable to Thompson, McCarthy and the Packers Board. We're supposed to be Titletown. If it's poor player procurement, Thompson has to go. If it's poor coaching, McCarthy and the rest of the staff have to go. If it's both everybody has to go. We've had 2 HOF QBs back to back with 2 Championships. Unacceptable.

Watching the Yikes lose tonight will make me feel better.

End of rant.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone buy into the theory of the "snowball effect" when it comes to explaining this offense? Seems as if the pressure to perform has been getting greater and greater each week, with the previous weeks errors compounding that pressure. I'm not going to use the term "choke", but nobody on offense seems to be playing up to their abilities on any kind of consistent basis.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good luck. Three more SB wins plus two more appearances in the next six years is a pretty tall order. :)
It's not just about SB rings for me. So many things can be factored into it and AR has 6 less seasons to be properly compared to Brady. Proper inflation of your balls can go a long way too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Still don't understand this line of thinking. If Pete Carroll hands the ball to Marshawn Lynch, is Brady still the best ever? How did Brady have any impact on that decision?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just about SB rings for me. So many things can be factored into it and AR has 6 less seasons to be properly compared to Brady. Proper inflation of your balls can go a long way too.

It's obviously easy for me, rings. What are some of the bold items that you'd consider?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don't understand this line of thinking. If Pete Carroll hands the ball to Marshawn Lynch, is Brady still the best ever? How did Brady have any impact on that decision?

Considering marshawn was one of the top 5 lowest producers on short yardage situations among active running back that qualified. I dont think that would be mean anything.

Two, if you want to play by that logic... They were a football pinned against a helmet away from perfection.

And lastly here are Rodgers and Bradys stats two weeks apart against the same team.

19-34 178 1 TD and 2 INTS

37-50 328 4TD and 2 INTS

Tell me which quarterback made more of an impact on the game?

(Rodgers was hurt this game which to me is BS since he went over 300 for 3td and 0 ints the week before but i give it the benefit of the doubt that he got lots worse.)

So you want to compare him healthy the other game he went....

23-33 189 1TD 1 INT

So ya... Don't think any of your points is valid. Aaron hasn't been "great" in the playoff

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering marshawn was one of the top 5 lowest producers on short yardage situations among active running back that qualified. I dont think that would be mean anything.

Two, if you want to play by that logic... They were a football pinned against a helmet away from perfection.

And lastly here are Rodgers and Bradys stats two weeks apart against the same team.

19-34 178 1 TD and 2 INTS

37-50 328 4TD and 2 INTS

Tell me which quarterback made more of an impact on the game?

(Rodgers was hurt this game which to me is BS since he went over 300 for 3td and 0 ints the week before but i give it the benefit of the doubt that he got lots worse.)

So you want to compare him healthy the other game he went....

23-33 189 1TD 1 INT

So ya... Don't think any of your points is valid. Aaron hasn't been "great" in the playoff

I think I missed the part where I was comparing Rodgers to Brady? Or the part where I said one was better than the other? I was simply pointing out that the "Ringzzzzz!!!!!" argument, generally speaking, isn't very strong in a team based game.

Brady is really good. Not sure how his first Super Bowl win helps the "greatness" case considering he went 16/27 for 145 yards and 1 TD; Brady wasn't helping Ty Law return that INT for a TD. Brady was terrific in the second Super Bowl win, kinda average in the third and his receiving group did a terrific job of getting him the MVP for the recent Super Bowl (over 56% of his yardage in that game was after the catch); note, Brady was good in the recent Super Bowl, but not "all-time" good.

And since you brought up Rodgers, I'll simply point out that his performance in the Super Bowl was about on par with Brady's performance in his second Super Bowl. Football is team based. "Ringzzzzzzzz!!" isn't a compelling argument.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I missed the part where I was comparing Rodgers to Brady? Or the part where I said one was better than the other? I was simply pointing out that the "Ringzzzzz!!!!!" argument, generally speaking, isn't very strong in a team based game.

Brady is really good. Not sure how his first Super Bowl win helps the "greatness" case considering he went 16/27 for 145 yards and 1 TD; Brady wasn't helping Ty Law return that INT for a TD. Brady was terrific in the second Super Bowl win, kinda average in the third and his receiving group did a terrific job of getting him the MVP for the recent Super Bowl (over 56% of his yardage in that game was after the catch).

And since you brought up Rodgers, I'll simply point out that his performance in the Super Bowl was about on par with Brady's performance in his second Super Bowl. Football is team based. "Ringzzzzzzzz!!" isn't a compelling argument.

Which one of Bradys 6 super bowls are you referring to? ;)

And two, you were noting Brady's deminished impact on the game because Seattle did run the ball. I fail to see how that is relevant. So i compared him to another player who most recently played that team. I consider Rodgers a very good quarterback.

But when people say... OHHH Brady isn't anything. I just point to the fact... He is pretty damn good. That is all. You dont make it to 6 Super Bowls with a sub par quarterback. Nor do you win 4. He has a lot of natural ability and even without scrambling ability he does a great job of getting the ball out.

You can make a list however you want. That is for you to decide. Im just saying discounting a man that has 4 rings is quite naive if you ask me.

******** it isn't a compelling argument... Its nearly the only one that matters. You don't get carried 6 times. Sorry but you are wrong. PERIOD.

Get to one off a great defense fine... BUT you cannot tell me NE goes to 6 with Cutler at QB. Period.

Members online

Latest posts