Numbers Check

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seven games the numbers start to show how a team is stacking up against the rest of the teams in the league. I am not a big believer in overall rankings but individual catagories do paint a picture of either achievement or failure in critical phases of the game.

The reason overall rankings don't thrill me much is they do not always tell the story. SCORING OFFENSE for example. We are ranked somewhere in the middle at 21+ points per game. However, throw out the shutout in the first game and we have averaged over 25 per game since and in the top five.

Some of these will surprise you.

DEFENSE:

Rushing yards per game: RANK-10th
Rushing yards per carry: RANK-10th (3.7)
Longest Rushing TD: RANK- 4th (23yds)
Interceptions: RANK- T6th
Sacks RANK- t2nd (22)
OPPOSING QB Comp % RANK- 8th (57.4)***

OFFENSE:

Yards per Game: RANK- 9th (347yds)
Passing yards: RANK- 8th
Rushing yards RANK- 11th
1st Downs RANK- 5th (20pg)
INTERCEPTIONS THROWN RANK- 10th (5)*****
Completions per game RANK- 7th (22pg)
SACKS ALLOWED RANK- 3rd (9)******

OBSERVATIONS

There's not many living and breathing football fans, analysts, experts, or other that would have EVER thought the Green Bay Packers would be in the top ten in both interceptions by Favre and Sacks Allowed. NO WAY!

I have heard many say here that the reason for the low sacks allowed is the added help by TE's and the schemes which is true. What I find that is not true by these numbers is that this added protection COSTS us productivity in other areas. We are one of the MOST consistant teams in the NFL in passing and rushing yards gained ranked 8th and 11th respectively.

These are pretty impressive numbers guys. We are in the upper tier in many important areas. MM has these guys believing in what they are doing and they are learning what it takes to win in the NFL.

I like what I see so far. That's for sure. If we can maintain numbers like we have in the first seven games we have a great chance of more "W"'s. The BIGGEST number of all.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only this, but this young team is gelling and getting better every week. Buffalo should be a test, but I feel the Pack should beat them. I am looking forward to MN and how they play.

Great stats by the way.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what I am seeing from MM also but why did you only post the stats that you felt were a positive for the Packers. There are many others that don't look so good. Where are we ranked in passing defense and total defense? How about yards per completion? How do we stack up in the explosive play category.

I'm not trying to be negative but you only chose to shine us in a good light.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well aint that some ****. i didnt expect numbers like that, i figured everything would be bottom 5

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is nice, but it doesn't tell me a lot because of the type of team the Packers are this year. This is a young, improving team. Because of the inexperience and changes this year, we should start out with a lot of mistakes. The key to me is learning from those mistakes and getting better.

Therefore, IMO, the key stats would be how the team has improved in overall offense, defense, ST. The rate of improvement is what really matters here, not the current overall ranking.

For example, does anyone actually believe that if GB played Chicago in GB this weekend that the results would be the same as the first game? Of course not! That is the part to be excited about. That is what we need to build on. Get better each week and learn to win as a team.

Thank you for the stats. Keep those in mind and at the end of the year, let's compare the stats from the first 8 games to the last 8 games.

GO PACK GO!!!

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what I am seeing from MM also but why did you only post the stats that you felt were a positive for the Packers. There are many others that don't look so good. Where are we ranked in passing defense and total defense? How about yards per completion? How do we stack up in the explosive play category.

De,
I wasn't trying to paint a rosey picture here by any means. I was just surprised that we were in the top ten in that many different catagories and figured it was worth sharing.

As far as pass defense goes I think being ranked 8th in Passing Percentage (57.7) is pretty darn good. As I have said in the past I do not believe overall numbers necessarily tell the whole story.

We gave up over 400 yds passing two weeks ago and 150 this week. Seems like no similarities to draw from whatsoever. EXCEPT both opposing QB's had very lousy ratings in each of those games.

So which stat is most important? Total No. of Passing Yards Allowed or the opposing QB's rating?

Personally I don't care jack about the total number of yards. Give me an opposing QB rating in the 50's and 60's every week and you will find a team winning a lot of football games.

BF only threw for 180 yards this week but his QB rating was double that of Leinharts. Now if we only gave up an average of 180 yards a game passing wouldn't everybody be happy?

I'm not so sure about that. Just ask Arizona.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
This is nice, but it doesn't tell me a lot because of the type of team the Packers are this year. This is a young, improving team. Because of the inexperience and changes this year, we should start out with a lot of mistakes. The key to me is learning from those mistakes and getting better.

Therefore, IMO, the key stats would be how the team has improved in overall offense, defense, ST. The rate of improvement is what really matters here, not the current overall ranking.

For example, does anyone actually believe that if GB played Chicago in GB this weekend that the results would be the same as the first game? Of course not! That is the part to be excited about. That is what we need to build on. Get better each week and learn to win as a team.

Thank you for the stats. Keep those in mind and at the end of the year, let's compare the stats from the first 8 games to the last 8 games.

GO PACK GO!!!

I agree that how we progress throughout the year is what is by far more important but to see the numbers we have put up to date with a new system installed and the many new players running it is pretty impressive.

Just pleasantly surprised to see us doing that well so early in so many areas with all the "newness" in GB. As stated it's a numbers check nothing more really intended.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

De,
I wasn't trying to paint a rosey picture here by any means. I was just surprised that we were in the top ten in that many different catagories and figured it was worth sharing.

As far as pass defense goes I think being ranked 8th in Passing Percentage (57.7) is pretty darn good. As I have said in the past I do not believe overall numbers necessarily tell the whole story.

We gave up over 400 yds passing two weeks ago and 150 this week. Seems like no similarities to draw from whatsoever. EXCEPT both opposing QB's had very lousy ratings in each of those games.

So which stat is most important? Total No. of Passing Yards Allowed or the opposing QB's rating?

Personally I don't care jack about the total number of yards. Give me an opposing QB rating in the 50's and 60's every week and you will find a team winning a lot of football games.

BF only threw for 180 yards this week but his QB rating was double that of Leinharts. Now if we only gave up an average of 180 yards a game passing wouldn't everybody be happy?

I'm not so sure about that. Just ask Arizona.

That's what I thought after I posted. I should have figured that you knew the other stats and were just forwarding some pleasantly surprising numbers. I apologize :oops:

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seven games the numbers start to show how a team is stacking up against the rest of the teams in the league. I am not a big believer in overall rankings but individual catagories do paint a picture of either achievement or failure in critical phases of the game.

The reason overall rankings don't thrill me much is they do not always tell the story. SCORING OFFENSE for example. We are ranked somewhere in the middle at 21+ points per game. However, throw out the shutout in the first game and we have averaged over 25 per game since and in the top five.

Some of these will surprise you.

DEFENSE:

Rushing yards per game: RANK-10th
Rushing yards per carry: RANK-10th (3.7)
Longest Rushing TD: RANK- 4th (23yds)
Interceptions: RANK- T6th
Sacks RANK- t2nd (22)
OPPOSING QB Comp % RANK- 8th (57.4)***

OFFENSE:

Yards per Game: RANK- 9th (347yds)
Passing yards: RANK- 8th
Rushing yards RANK- 11th
1st Downs RANK- 5th (20pg)
INTERCEPTIONS THROWN RANK- 10th (5)*****
Completions per game RANK- 7th (22pg)
SACKS ALLOWED RANK- 3rd (9)******

Longest TD may be different now -- didn't Ahman have a 70 yard TD against Miami.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longest TD is a defensive stat. Longest RUSHING TD AGAINST. It was in the Rushing Defense Stats.

Still remember it though. Came right after Green's fumble against the Saints. Two consecutive plays I would like to forget.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good stuff.

from all acounts the team is buying into everything thats going on so far.
and these numbers just back it up. maybe we are on to something

Members online

Latest posts