No cars, no women, no booze

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In 1987, the Green Bay Packers spent two weeks practicing at Olympia in Oconomowoc​

I always like the historical pieces that Cliff does for the Packers. This one is by the Journal/Sentinel but is in the same ilk. Forrest Gregg's record of 5-9-1 (in a strike-shortened season) was better than the 4-12 from the previous year, but two of their five wins came with replacement players. Another losing season was the final straw, and highlights that his boot camp plan did not help.

It's all still fun to read about.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact, in 2008 I was at Beer fest fundraiser for a rotary group at the Olympia. I barely remember it and if not for the collection of Beer Fest pint glasses that somehow accumulated in my room that night and I have to this day I may not have even known I was there.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact, in 2008 I was at Beer fest fundraiser for a rotary group at the Olympia. I barely remember it and if not for the collection of Beer Fest pint glasses that somehow accumulated in my room that night and I have to this day I may not have even known I was there.
Every rotarian I've known has been a closet high-functioning alcoholic, so your story checks out lmao

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The training camp at Olympia reminded me of the Rockwood Lodge camps in the 40s under Curly, except if I remember correctly wives were allowed to be at Rockwood. The field was supposedly terrible though.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
What is a rotary group? I see the name Rotary Club often but dont know what it is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is a rotary group? I see the name Rotary Club often but dont know what it is.
a place where people talk in circles. :)

It's a civic organization, like Kiwanis, Lions/Lioness, etc. Most raise money for their communities and volunteer at different things. Lions has their eye glasses, Kiwanis' claim is raising money for children, Rotarians have their mission in ending polio, but all have ventured out from that in terms of what they do for their communities.

I was not a member of this group, just happened to be staying at the Olympia when this was going on, so I partook LOL. I had been one in the past, my wife is a past president. I spent most of my time as a Kiwanian.

Members online

Latest posts