Nick Collins--Troy Polamalu, Rookie Seasons Compared

bsmith_501

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare the rookie seasons of Nick Collins and Troy Polamalu.

Troy Polamalu--16 games, 38 TT, 2 sacks, 0 interceptions, 4 PD, 1 FF.
Nick Collins---- 16 games, 84 TT, 0 sacks, 1 interception, 7 PD, 2 FF.

Collins's numbers appear to compare very well with Polamalu's.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting... didn't realize Collins had so many tackles this year.

But did Polamalu start in all 16 games? He may have gotten less playing time than Collins

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow...interesting post b_smith...of course Collins tackle stats are padded by the difference in front 7 talent of the two teams, but still...very interesting.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cool stuff, but GBs defense is more Lb oriented than safety(slowiks was safety oriented but he put his eggs in sharpers basket, which was dumb)

go nick!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nic Collins had a good rookie season. Look for bigger and better things in the future from him and all the other '05 rookies and first and second year players on the '05 Packer squad because of their valuable NFL game experience last year. Wtih the addition of last year injured group of players back healthy this year. Plus for the first time since the draft of '92, hopefully, GB will get a talented group of low round '06 draft choices. Hopefully, some quality Free agents will be brought in by Ted Thompson, with the addtional est. $20m (to if Favre should retire est. $30M) cap room space.

But I believe , the Green Bay Packer best chance to have a turn around season is to have Favre back as starting QB for GB. If not The Packer coaching staff will have to speed up our back up quarterback Aaron Rodgers' development, so he will be an effective 2nd year starting QB for the Packers If these things all work out, The Green Bay Packers may turn this franchise around so this could be a winning year for the Packers..

I realize there are a lot of ifs but in this era of salary cap & Free agency plus drafting in low rounds in NFL draft, anything can happen in NFL and this happen to other NF Lteams where they were 4-12 one year and 12-4 the next year .Why not Green Bay this year?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bsmith_501 said:
I thought it would be interesting to compare the rookie seasons of Nick Collins and Troy Polamalu.

Troy Polamalu--16 games, 38 TT, 2 sacks, 0 interceptions, 4 PD, 1 FF.
Nick Collins---- 16 games, 84 TT, 0 sacks, 1 interception, 7 PD, 2 FF.

Collins's numbers appear to compare very well with Polamalu's.

collins "should've" had 5-6 int's. that's one area collins could improve on, concentrating on making key interceptions.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand, the NUMBER of tackles that are "Credited as Tackles" is FINALIZED not by NFL game day spotters, but the final decision based on the game film viewed by the teams caoching staff..

The number of tackles recorded can be altered by the team's coaches that make that determination based on looking at the film after the game.

For example... A team (Coaching Staff.) may take away a tackle from a player and change it to an assist after looking at the game film.

I have heard that some coaches actually use that stat to encourage, motivate, and or punish a player (for blowing an assingnment.) by altering the numbers the team sets for the NFL stats on credited tackels.

Let me, give you an analogy.

Next year, first game... New coach MM takes a look at game film and decides that Collins should have never made that tackle becuase he blew his assignment. A punishment if you will. MM can then make an adjustment to the official tackle stat and change it to an assisted tackle.

Hertofore, Collins would not be credited with the tackle by the coaching staff, and thus it will not be counted and recorded in the NFL logs as an official tackle but an assisted tackle.

On the other hand there are coaching staffs that will boost a players official tackle numbers by playing favorites and reporting to the NFL official stats that player X should have been credited with an assist on the tackle.

The key number to look at in defensive tackles made is the number of SOLO tackles. Solo tackles are untouchable, and can not be taken away from the stats.

NOW Lets look at this year.

Nick 63 - 21 - Total 84

Troy 73- 18 - Total 91

The question is how many of those tackles officially recorded after the coaching staff looked at film are padded, and or reduced for motivation during the film session.

Either way you gotta Love what Collins is bringing to the team, and he is going to be a Pro bowl player often.

RP

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins does look like a "keeper." Now, hopefully he will build on a good rookie year, and become GREAT!