NFL Internal appeal overturns bounty suspensions - Harvrove?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw on PFT that an internal appeals board had overturned the suspensions. Wow. He nfl will have to sue in order to get the appeal overturned. I wonder if the Packers will re-sign Hargrove? Or try; maybe he has sour grapes. Interesting turn of events, to say the least!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
him not being on the team had nothing to do with his suspension, it had to do with his level of play.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
him not being on the team had nothing to do with his suspension, it had to do with his level of play.

Yeah, it was curious that he didn't even make the first cut. The staff saw something they didn't like, or he just didn't fit into the overall scheme. However, if injuries present a problem, there's no telling.....

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was tricky business for the Packers to figure out what to do with Hargrove, I don't think Ted expected an eight game suspention when he signed him initially.

Now that the suspension has been blocked, why not bring the guy back and work him into the rotation along the d line? I know it's a long shot, but we need as many able bodies pass rushers along the front seven as we can get...and I think he fits the bill.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Probably depends on the reasoning behind cutting him. I can't image we couldn't make room for him if the suspension was the primary issue.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merling is the only one they'd want to drop and he's probably getting dropped when Neal comes back anyway. It's too bad they didn't know about this sooner though, because he got very little time in the preseason to see what he had left.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect him to be a packer again. Like others have said the fact that he was in the first round of cuts coupled with the teams strategy of draft and develop leads me to believe they will stick with the young guys and see what they can produce in the long run. I also heard he had a few run ins with the dline coach and that could be a contributing factor to him being cut and not coming back.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows. I thought Muir outplayed Merling. Both Muir and Hargrove brought a passion to the field that led me to think they would make the team. I thought that was one of the things missing. A loud motivation guy on the defense.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Who knows. I thought Muir outplayed Merling. Both Muir and Hargrove brought a passion to the field that led me to think they would make the team. I thought that was one of the things missing. A loud motivation guy on the defense.
I really liked Muir too and was genuinely shocked we let him go. Not often you find a guy that big with his... athleticism? motor? enthusiasm? not sure. He wasn't a perfect fit like Merling, but I liked him a lot better. As I've said before, Muir's cut was a commitment to the nickle/dime. I fully expect to see him back long before Hargrove is even considered should we need DL.

H

HardRightEdge

If you're Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis (notable yellers of past and present), you'll get the attention of rookies and vets alike. You better be a d*mn good player if you're going to make a habit of it.

If you're a marginal player on the bubble, you might perk up the rookies ears and get them jazzed, but it won't take long before the vets will want to say, "shut the F up and just play". Constant yelling without the performance to back it up has a short shelf life...in due time it becomes distracting and obnoxious.

The yelling issue aside, in case you don't find it compelling, the trend in 3-4 is for lighter, taller more athletic DEs in the 285 - 305 lb. range who can rush outside in base or inside in nickle. SF and HOU have demonstrated how it might work. If you're going to head in that direction, you've only got room for two sumo wrestlers...in our case Raji and Pickett. There really wasn't room for Muir. He was likely injury insurance for Raji and Pickett.

Merling is the 6'4", 295 lb. 3-4 DE with some athleticism...the new prototype. TT said as much. Muir might be the better football player but was redundant; Merling has the better potential at a position with more question mark. In short, we're looking for the next potential Cullen Jenkins wherever we can find him among the numbers. Merling doesn't have much time to make his case, however.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we would pick him up and drop Boykin. He brings a lot of energy to our team and is an experienced vet who could help our pass rush from Day 1. We could also always consider dropping him or Merling after Neal comes back also.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts