Nall vs. Rodgers

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The backup QB battle took an interesting turn tonight. This was my third time seeing Aaron Rodgers. The first two times he was not able to accomplish much but at least he looked poised and confident. Tonight he looked shaky, and his last few throws were worm-burners, one of which was picked off. Nall came in later, and although he was playing with second and third teamers and was not able to put any points on the board, he at least looked like an NFL quarterback. So it looks like he still has a good shot at the #2 quarterback spot. There is no urgency about making this decision, so we should have two more weeks to watch Nall and Rodgers battle it out. O' Sullivan might be kept around a little longer as camp fodder.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not surprised. Like I said last week in a post, Rodgers needs a year to learn the offence and NFL defences will hide coverages. He will improve but, it takes time. This season will good learning experience.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should just be 3rd string this yr and carry a clip board. Why rush him?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Orton completed 6 of 10 and drove the team 80 yards for the go ahead TD against the Colts. Thanks for not drafting him.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Kyle Orton completed 6 of 10 and drove the team 80 yards for the go ahead TD against the Colts. Thanks for not drafting him.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Until Orton does something in a REAL game against a #1 defense it don't mean jack. But is was a nice outing by the kid none the less. No doubt the Bears desperately NEED him to have a good outing.

Reaction score
Phil, Orton has some decent WR depth to play with, while all Rodgers had Thurman, Bragg, and Lucas. Not an impressive list by any means. Also, add that to the fact that Rodgers is playing behind a seond string O-line that is perhaps even more unsettled than the first string (Wells, Bedell, Barry and Ruegamer still being moved to different positions), I would expect Orton to do well. Also, lets not forget that Orton is older than Rodgers, even if by only a year. A year can go a long way... (On a different note, however, thanks a lot for drafting the fragile Glassman Phil :p)

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

Yeah, okay. Let's see who the better QB is in 5 years.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Phil, Orton has some decent WR depth to play with, while all Rodgers had Thurman, Bragg, and Lucas. Not an impressive list by any means. Also, add that to the fact that Rodgers is playing behind a seond string O-line that is perhaps even more unsettled than the first string (Wells, Bedell, Barry and Ruegamer still being moved to different positions), I would expect Orton to do well. Also, lets not forget that Orton is older than Rodgers, even if by only a year. A year can go a long way... (On a different note, however, thanks a lot for drafting the fragile Glassman Phil :p)

Rodgers had the number 1 offense in with him -- and he clearly is not ready for primetime. This does not mean he never will be, it simply means he has a lot of learning and work to do.

Orton is irrelevant, he was playing against the Colts scrubs on defense -- not that their top-line defense is anything to write home about. Besides woulda, coulda, shoulda is for losers, not for 12 time World Champions.

Rodgers is being handed the opportunity to be the number 2 QB, but he is clearly not ready. The coaches want to give him every opportunity possible, but once they start playing for real he is likely to be the #3 QB and running the scout team in practice -- just as it should be for rookies unless they are pressed prematurely into action.

No offense Phil, but taking advice on QB development from a Bear is like taking financial advice from a manic-depressive -- as ill-advised as anything imaginable.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
No offense Phil, but taking advice on QB development from a Bear is like taking financial advice from a manic-depressive -- as ill-advised as anything imaginable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup: :chest:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Kyle Orton ended up being the No2 QB for the Bears, even after Grossman gets outta jail,..er I mean IR.... If Grossman doesn't start gettin in better shape - he'll never stay healthy... out of football, period!

Orton - that's a different tune - he could be their QB of the future...

As far as Rodgers - the guy may know the Playbook, but translation is a different story - his reads were off last night and his passes were at the ground...

Nall is definitely going to be on the Squad, while O'Sullivan is gone.
I like the release Nall has on the ball - he throws like a tall man would...
At this point - if the season starts tomorrow - I would list it as Favre, Nall & then Rodgers...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they want to give Rodgers some exposure to provide just what he needs to learn. You don't get that watching from the sidelines.

Nall already has proven he can move the team in NFL competition.

Nall is FA next year and likely to be gone. It makes full sense to let Rodgers ride the pines while getting more accustomed to the Packers offense. Next year at this time Rodgers will be a different player. Nall should be #2 this year.

Next year at this time Chad Hutchinson will still be in the hospital and Orton will be out with a career threatening injury,Grossman will be hurt getting out of his car and the Bears will sign Jeff George to start.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Next year at this time Chad Hutchinson will still be in the hospital and Orton will be out with a career threatening injury,Grossman will be hurt getting out of his car and the Bears will sign Jeff George to start.
You're killin' me over here... ROFLMAO

BUT - I'd go against ya on the Kyle Orton comment - I live just down the street from Purdue. If you did too - then that comment would read different. Remember him beating Notre Dame and Penn State?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Orton's in the NFL now, prez, and on top of that, he's with Bears. That's like being a General in the army Pee Wee Herman.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is definitly not ready to play in the NFL. It really sucked that the O line completly fell apart with Nall in there and also remember that they were back up recievers who will most of them not be there. Remember last year when Nall came in he moved the first string offense good. I think he is a great number 2 qb.....Someday maybe Rodgers will be better than Nall. But what many forget about Nall is that he was the MVP in NFL Eourpe.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
As far as Rodgers - the guy may know the Playbook, but translation is a different story - his reads were off last night and his passes were at the ground...

Prez... That may be true, some of his passes were at the ground. However, give the kid some slack will you.

It is a big adjustment from the field in Chico to the field he played on yesterday.

Chico California is 195 feet above sea level. Buffalo is 722 feet above sea level.

The kid is adjusting his throws.... and a few are bound to be low. (Nudge, nudge,.... wink wink.)

They will both be good... I really think so.

RP

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Nall has the #2 job in the bag just yet. But last night he showed that he is the guy to beat. From what I've heard, Rodgers has been playing better than Nall in practice, and the coaches have given him the opportunity to win the #2 QB job. Now that Rodgers has (apparently) fallen behind Nall, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge. And we'll be able to watch what happens because the coaches will be making that judgment mainly based on preseason performances rather than practice. It will be no disaster if Rodgers is beaten out by Nall for the #2 spot, but it will be very encouraging if Rodgers plays well enough in the next two games to earn that spot. This should be a fun battle to watch.

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year JP Losman was the #3...but what happened though was during the blown out New England game Mularky put him in with taking 3rd string reps all week!

He was unprepared and it kind of set him back a bit. Mularky admitted it was a mistake.

I think you should have Rodgers as the #2 to get those extra reps. It's not like Farve is going to get hurt...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a little success moving the team while he was in there the first series with the starters. Too bad a lot of it was with his own feet. Which brings up another point, RODGERS NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO SLIDE or he'll get his head taken off by some player! If I were the coach that would be the very next thing I would teach him. All in all, it should have been a great learning experience for the young QB.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JT O'Sullivan also had a good year with the NFL-E if I remember correctly.. and he did okay at the Saints, just didn't have the time there to gain No.2 placement as I remember reading it.

PeeWee Herman had a football team? :shock:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't think Nall has the #2 job in the bag just yet. But last night he showed that he is the guy to beat. From what I've heard, Rodgers has been playing better than Nall in practice, and the coaches have given him the opportunity to win the #2 QB job. Now that Rodgers has (apparently) fallen behind Nall, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge. And we'll be able to watch what happens because the coaches will be making that judgment mainly based on preseason performances rather than practice. It will be no disaster if Rodgers is beaten out by Nall for the #2 spot, but it will be very encouraging if Rodgers plays well enough in the next two games to earn that spot. This should be a fun battle to watch.
Hey who cares what they do or how they play in practice it is when they are out on the field that is when it counts. I mean whenever Nall has came in preaseason or regular season he has done a decent job. He has most of the time put together a good drive. But you really didn't get to see exactly what he could do the last game because of the slop that we had for our O Line.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Greg C. said:
Hey who cares what they do or how they play in practice it is when they are out on the field that is when it counts. I mean whenever Nall has came in preaseason or regular season he has done a decent job. He has most of the time put together a good drive. But you really didn't get to see exactly what he could do the last game because of the slop that we had for our O Line.
An exalent point agopackgo4. You know that the packers drafted Rodgers for the future. If something happens to Favre, and that is very posible just going by the odds of playing in so many consecutive games, then you hope that Rodgers is ready to be at least a decent back up behind Nall.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Philtration said:

How about let's see who the better QB is next year because that is when you are probally going to need him.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Philtration said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Until Orton does something in a REAL game against a #1 defense it don't mean jack. But is was a nice outing by the kid none the less. No doubt the Bears desperately NEED him to have a good outing.
And until Rodgers does something in ANY kind of game against ANY kind of defense it don't mean jack. You will need him sooner than you want to believe.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
ORRELSE said:
Philtration said:

How about let's see who the better QB is next year because that is when you are probally going to need him.

The reason I suggested 5 years is because Rodgers isn't going to get a fair shake to play for 1-2 years at least. Orton will probably be out of football completely so it'll probably be a moot point. :p

So there, Favre hater.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts