My Picks To Make The Pack

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Packers Roster Predictions
(Joe Arrigo) joeslockerroom.com

I have to admit, I am HORRIBLE at predicting the Packers roster. I have not got one right ever, but yet I get asked to try and do it every year. Well I will, yet again, attempt to nail down the final 53 men who will start the season for the 2010 Green Bay Packers.

QB's (2):
Aaron Rodgers (QB)
Matt Flynn (QB)

RB's (3):
Ryan Grant (RB)
Brandon Jackson (RB)
Kregg Lumpkin (RB)

FB's (3):
John Kuhn (FB/HB)
Quinn Johnson (FB)
Kory Hall (FB)

WR's (5):Greg Jennings (WR)
Donald Driver (WR)
James Jones (WR)
Jordy Nelson (WR)
Jason Cherry (WR)

TE's (4):
Jermichael Finley (TE)
Spencer Havner (TE)
Andrew Quarless (TE)
Tom Crabtree (TE)

OL (9):Chad Clifton (OT)
Daryn Colledge (OG)
Scot Wells (C)
Josh Sitton (OG)
Mark Tauscher (OT)
Brian Bulaga (OT)
Jason Spitz (OG/C)
T.J. Lang (OG/OT)
Marshall Newhouse (OT)

DL (6):
Ryan Pickett (DE/NT)
B.J. Raji (NT)
Cullen Jenkins (DE)
Mike Neal (DE)
Jarius Wynn (DE)
C.J. Wilson (DE/NT)

OLB's (8):
Clay Matthews III (OLB)
Nick Barnett (ILB)
AJ Hawk (ILB)
Brad Jones (OLB)
Brandon Chillar (OLB/ILB)
Desmond Bishop (ILB)
Brady Poppinga (OLB)
Frank Zombo (OLB)

DB's (10):
Charles Woodson (CB)
Al Harris (CB)
Nick Collins (S)
Morgan Burnett (S)
Tramon Williams (CB)
Sam Shields (CB)
Pat Lee (CB)
Brandon Underwood (CB)
Will Blackmon (S/KR/PR)
Derrick Martin (S)

ST's (3):
Mason Crosby (K)
Brett Goode (LS)
Tim Masthay (P)

P.U.P. List:Atari Bigby (S)
James Starks (RB)

Injured Reserve:
Quinn Porter (RB)
Josh Bell (CB)

Practice Squad
:
Graham Harrell (QB)
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C)
Anthony Levine (S)
Alex Joseph (MLB)
D.J. Clark (CB)
Patrick Williams (WR)
Chris Campbell (OT)

I struggled with keeping 3 fullbacks (cutting Johnson or Hall) and 9 offensive linemen (Dietrich-Smith being the odd man out), but I think Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy like Quin Johnson as a lead blocker and Kory Hall's special teams ability. While Dierich-Smith adds versatility to the line (G/C), unless Jason Spitz is dealt, he could be the odd man out on the OL.

On the defensive side of the ball, I had to cut Justin Harrell. I think that C.J. Wilson won't clear waivers and the coaches think he has a huge upside while Harrell's injury history and effort (at times) make him a huge risk. Charlie Peprah was the other hard player to cut. Unless Brandon Underwood's shoulder requires surgery (which is a possibility), Peprah looks to be the odd man out. I think it is a shame because his special teams ability could be used.

On special teams I have Masthay beating out Ryan based of the past few days and the Colts game. He has out kicked him, but with the final pre-season game remaining, a strong showing from Ryan could swing the punting competition back to the Aussie.

I do think Donald Lee is traded. The Packers have a surplus of Tight End talent and all have more upside then Lee. Havner can play multiple positions (on offense and defense) and had more TD catches last year then Lee, while Quarless has big time potential and Crabtree is an outstanding blocker. Lee dropped to many passes last year in big time games (at Minnesota and the playoff game) and is not the blocker Crabtree is.

Jason Cherry is my "surprise pick" to make the team. While Chastin West and Patrick Williams are better receivers now, Cherry's speed and return ability would add another dimension to the Packers special teams and gives him an edge. I think Brett Swain's injury history is a concern to the Packers coaching staff and front office.

When it is all said and done I know Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy will put the best 53 men on the Packers roster to try and bring the Lombardi Trophy home to Green Bay. But the Packers have so much talent that other NFL teams are going to land some very good players, but that's what happens when a team drafts talented players and also signs talented players (as undrafted rookie free agents).

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup. Good read, and I think I agree with your predictions. But like you said, they always seem to surprise us.

Tomorrow at 1pm they'll cut down to 75 so we'll see who gets to meet the Turk first. Must completely and utterly suck to have your football career ended tomorrow. Feel for those guys. Course, they go on to become Jr. High and High School coaches.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well-done SuperJoe.

I hope Ted is able to trade at least one of our good extra guys, two, or even three.
He should be burning up his phone.

The guy to keep an eye on for a possible SHOCKER CUT in my opinion is Will Blackmon.
What Chery did with the punt return the other day might have made Thrill expendable, with his knee worries.
Blackmon has never contributed much as a DB anyway. I loved him though, taking one to the house in the Metrodump in 2007, priceless. I just have a hunch here.....

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying that my wish will finally come true and Bush will finally get kicked to the curb? Hope so. Just cutting him is an instant upgrade.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperJoe- I really like what you did with the TEs. Lee seems like a reasonable trade to me too. Glad you kept Quinn Johnson; that guy makes a difference in run blocking. Two quarterbacks is reasonable to me as long as we got Graham in the practice squad. There is a lot of buzz about Cherry lately...so you might be right about him. I like how you kept Al Harris off the PUP; don't know if thats gonna happen though. Brett Goode; chances are he will have another great (error free) year (gotta love his job). And lastly...ZOMBO, just having a name like that on the roster instantly makes our defense more intimidating :)

Nice post.

Love Mason Crosby :)
wtf??? lol

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good list I think I'd agree with all the players.
Hate to say it, but there's going to be someone we like who will be cut :fright:

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to hand it to you Joe that's a really good list. If the final 53 were to come in tomorrow instead of after the preseason, I would be more than happy. I am surprised though that we continue with 3 FBs and 4 TEs. I think that if we trim down from 1 spot in either position, we may be able to squeeze in a FA OLB or DB which would further help this team.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nice list, i pretty much agree accept for spitz, i think he is gone and dietrich smith will take his spot at center. and i dont think they keep 3 FB again, i think korey hall is gone. quinn johnson is such a good lead blocker.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Harris starts on the PUP list , Lumpkin gone with Kuhn getting time at HB unless they get someone from elsewhere at which point Johnson goes. This until Starks comes off the PUP list. Lee stays and Crabtree goes although I hope you are right. Also Harrell stays if not hurt by next weekend. Dietrich-Smith stays for a 10th OL. Practice squad will get at least 3 players from other teams. Chery gets every opportunity to become "the guy" on kick returns which makes "I broke my nail" Blackmon expendable after 6 weeks.

Pops

Latest posts