Moving on - Let's talk Aaron Rodgers...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the JSonline pages... read this.....

Brandt works to get Rodgers signed

Favre's future a major point

By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: July 20, 2005

There's little in sports that matches the rivalry between Stanford and California. So things should get interesting as Andrew Brandt - Green Bay's vice president of player finance and a Stanford graduate - gets ready to negotiate the deal for Packers' No. 1 draft choice Aaron Rodgers, a Cal product.

"I'm still bitter over the Big Game from 1983," Brandt joked this week of the infamous "Band Game."

"Of course, I've teased Aaron that it's going to be hard to do a fair contract for a guy from Cal. But of course, that's a joke."

Getting a deal done by the time rookies report Monday and practice Tuesday, though, is anything but a laughing matter.

Green Bay hasn't had a No. 1 draft choice miss time since Brandt joined the organization in 1999. But the Rodgers' negotiations figure to be tricky for several reasons.

What bodes well for getting a deal done on time, though, is that Brandt has a long history with Mike Sullivan, who represents Rodgers. Sullivan also has negotiated deals for No. 1 overall picks Michael Vick and David Carr in recent seasons and neither player missed any time. "I think contracts this year are going to be particularly challenging for first-round guys," said Sullivan, who also represents receiver Terrence Murphy, Green Bay's second-round draft pick, and defensive tackle Donnell Washington, the Packers' third-round choice in 2004. "At the same time, I think we'll work something out that's fair for both sides."

One of the major points of discussion will be the future of Brett Favre.

Both sides are in agreement that as long as Favre is around, Rodgers - the 24th overall pick in April - will be planted on the bench. So items such as base salaries, escalator clauses and voidable years become trickier because it's extremely difficult to predict when Rodgers might take over.

"We recognize that as long as Brett Favre is around, he's the starter," said Sullivan, who is based in Walnut Creek, Calif. "So you've got a No. 1 pick behind a Hall of Famer. That might be unprecedented."

St. Louis running back Steven Jackson was the No. 24 pick a year ago and signed a five-year, $7 million deal that included a $4 million signing bonus. Green Bay took cornerback Ahmad Carroll one pick later and signed him to a six-year, $8.058 million contract with a $3.95 million signing bonus. The sixth year on Carroll's deal is voidable, though.

In determining Rodgers' value, though, it might be easier for the two sides to work off contract numbers of quarterbacks chosen in similar spots in recent years.

Buffalo took J.P. Losman with the 22nd overall pick in 2004 and signed him to a five-year, $7.7 million deal that included a $5.6 million signing bonus. The contract could pay Losman as much as $24.5 million, though, if he reaches all of its incentives.

In 2003, Chicago took Rex Grossman at No. 22 and gave him a five-year, $7.6 million deal with a $5 million signing bonus. The Bears hold the option for the fifth year, but if Grossman reached all of the incentives, he could make between $17-$18 million.

Grossman became the Bears' starter late in his rookie season and Losman will be Buffalo's starter this fall. With Favre in the picture, it's harder to gauge Rodgers' fate, which will lead to far greater challenges.

Another issue will be the rookie allocation pool and how much of it will be devoted to Rodgers. Each year, the NFL issues teams a total dollar figure representing the maximum cap space they are allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents. A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams with lower picks.

Green Bay has $4,483,150 allotted for its 11 draft choices. Five have already signed.

The length of the contract, and if it will include an option year, could also be a sticking point. Brandt was in the Bay-area in late June and met briefly with Sullivan. But things won't get serious until later this week.

"Mike Sullivan and I have known each other for a long time and we've had conversations and we kind of know what the issues are and where to take them," Brandt said. "We'll work diligently toward reaching some common ground."

No first-round draft choices have signed yet and only four teams across the NFL begin training camp before Green Bay does. So it's unlikely that the two sides will have many comparable deals to work from.

"Obviously any deals coming in around us in the first round would spur negotiations," Brandt said. "But short of that, we're capable of doing our own.

"We have one of the earlier reporting dates in the league . . . but we've been here before. We're not afraid to jump in before the market is set. There's always trepidation not knowing exactly where the market will come in."

From the July 21, 2005, editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what about it people - Will Favre last the whole Season, or will Rodgers be forced into stepping up, ala Rex Grossman?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah I think that Favre will make it. Although it wouldn't surprise me if he got hurt, however it wouldn't surprise me either if he doesnt get hurt, so I guess we will just see what happens...ITS ALMOST FOOTBALL TIME!! that is what I am exited about!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be a heavily laden contract with lots of "incentive pay". If he gets a lot of playing time in 3 or 4 years pay him accordingly. If on the bench then we are not spending too much money. Fair to both sides.

For a first rounder he may set a record for lack of stress this year. Job one is learning the playbook and then job 2 is running the scout team for the defense.

I would not worry about him at all this year.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy cherishes the fact that HE and only HE gets the benefit of having a Mentor like Brett Favre - You figure how many guys would luv to have a chance to learn from a Mentor like that of the caliber of a Brett Favre - any any line of business - in any Industry... Seriously! And, here we find out that after the NFL, he may entertain the thought of following his Dad's footsteps and become a Coach, himself. Certainly, I'd luv to be wearin' Aaron Rodgers shoes right about now..... Anybody would...

This is going to be a very interesting year.. on several different levels....
I figure Rodgers to become (very quickly) the No.2 QB and wear the headset yakkin with Favre all game long... AWESOME!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too would like to see him sign, and learn from Favre for a year or two- three. This guy could be a good/great one when he gets his chance

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think (hope) Brett has 2-3 years left and then Rodgers will take over and Packers won't miss much a beat!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine Brett is going to mentor this kid. The kid will learn from him, but Brett's not here to be his coach, Brett is here to win a Superbowl and that's all I want him to do.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I can't imagine Brett is going to mentor this kid. The kid will learn from him, but Brett's not here to be his coach, Brett is here to win a Superbowl and that's all I want him to do.
A bit selfish aren't we...? Other QB's have spoken out about how they've learned from Brett and along the way became great friends.. I think you're a bit mis-guided with that outlook...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Why not? Brett has went out of his way to help other backup QBs with the Packers. Brunell, Hasselbrook and Brooks to name a few.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Four 1st rounders signed today as of 6 PM EST. San Fran signed QB Alex Smith their #1 so I'm looking for Rodgers to sign soon. I hope he is not expecting the kind of money Smith signed for. I'm hearing 51 million big ones.

Members online

Latest posts