Morency "The Criminal" (thats a ...nice nickname)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline:

Morency, obtained by the Packers on Wednesday from Houston in a trade for running back Samkon Gado, was implicated by a female student at Oklahoma State University for **** in February 2003. Nine weeks later a university police investigator filed an affidavit, the only documentation of the case.

In April of that year, then-coach Les Miles placed Morency on indefinite suspension.

Morency was reinstated by Miles in early August when the player filed a civil lawsuit against the university on July 31, 2003, and a judge quickly issued a temporary restraining order allowing him to remain in school.

Two weeks later, the district attorney's office elected not to file charges because of insufficient evidence, and records were permanently sealed. The ******-assault charge wasn't brought to light until a story appeared Oct. 4, 2004, in the Oklahoma State student newspaper.

"I was never charged with anything," Morency said Friday. "It was accusations. I never had an arrest on my record."

Morency also was involved in another off-field incident during his first year at Oklahoma State that was brought to the attention of all 32 teams by the National Football League security department.

According to one NFL official, Morency was one of about 20 students who jumped on bicycles outside a campus building, rode away and left them at another campus location. Morency and 10 others were caught and felony charges were considered, according to an NFL official.

In the end, Morency reportedly was arrested for possession of a stolen bicycle, a charge that was stricken from his record at the end of a deferred sentence.

"It was nothing," Morency said. "I was never charged with anything. Everything went away."

After signing Robinson on Monday despite the receiver's alcohol-related criminal issues, Packers general manager Ted Thompson traded for Morency about 48 hours later. He said the club examined these and other issues regarding Morency before making the deal for Gado, who was considered a model citizen.

"We studied that back when he came out of college," Thompson said, referring to the accusation of ****. "We determined that he was accused of something but based on our information there was no substance to it."

Regarding the stolen bike, Thompson said, "It sounded like to me it was some sort of college stunt."

Thompson added: "I pulled out our reports and read them again. One said he came from a 'solid two-parent family.' All the people in Houston vouched for him very strongly, as did the people at Oklahoma State."

Morency, 26, was born and raised in Miami and his parents both worked. Drafted in the 14th round in 1998 by the Colorado Rockies, Morency played minor-league baseball as a centerfielder for four years before making a return to football by enrolling at Oklahoma State in 2002.

"I've been raised in a great family, a loving family," Morency said. "I'm a hard worker, dedicated to what I do. I do not drink or smoke."

Earlier in the week, two top executives in personnel for other NFL teams said they regarded Morency as a character risk both before the 2005 draft as well as today.

"He is a very bad person off the field," an executive for an NFC team said. "He'll never survive in Green Bay. He's got a lot of problems."

The personnel man for an AFC team said he remembered interviewing Morency in February 2005 at the NFL combine.

"I don't recall anything being major but it was just a thousand little things," the executive said. "He started going and going and going and going. The story just kept getting longer and longer. We asked why he didn't succeed in baseball. It was, 'Well, the manager didn't like me there, they wouldn't let me bat in the right position.' It was always somebody else's fault why things didn't work out or went wrong."

An executive for another NFC team reached a different conclusion on Morency.

"Got a little Miami to him but overall a pretty good home life," the executive said. "He's not a kid that ran the streets. We thought the kid knows right from wrong. Did he do some stupid stuff that we all do in college? Yes. But once he got caught there were no other incidents."

After declaring for the draft in January 2005 as a third-year junior, Morency scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

According to Morency's initial lawsuit, he and the woman watched movies in his dorm room on the night in question. Morency stated that all ****** conduct was consensual. The woman didn't contact police until April 1, or 37 days after the incident. A week later, she turned over a pair of underwear she was wearing on the night and had not washed.

Lab findings revealed that the underwear did contain *****, according to the lawsuit.

After appearing at a disciplinary hearing, Morency received a letter on May 6 from Peg Vitek, then the university's student conduct officer. In the letter, Vitek wrote: "Based on the written statement and the testimony of all parties, I find it to be more likely than not that you did sexually assault (redacted) on Feb. 23, 2003."

Court documents showed that Morency also was found in violation of two university alcohol policies.

In his lawsuit, Morency said Oklahoma State officials "were bent from the outset upon intimidating and, eventually, suspending" him in disciplinary procedures that he said amounted to "****** McCarthyism."

Morency remained on campus to work out during the summer of 2003. Backing up Tatum Bell that season, he rushed for 918 yards. He exploded for 1,474 yards in '04.

By vote of the three executives, the Packers were judged to have gotten the better end of the trade by a 2-1 margin.

"There is no question about this kid's talent," one of the NFC personnel men said. "He could be a starter. But you've got to keep him on track."

Added the AFC scout, who much preferred Gado: "Evidently, (Gado) didn't fit them at all so they're just taking a flier, I guess. The one thing, if a guy can't play for you, you might as well try something else. Morency has ability."

--------------------------------------------
Sounds like Morency(who I knew nothing about until this week) was just...a college student(gasp!). He did some stupid things, but who hasn't? After the disaster of week 1, everyone(including TT, which it looks like he is) should throw that "Packer people" stuff out the window for now, and bring in people who can give us the best shot at winning games.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i...dont think they care.

they care about winning games. they've said that multiple times. one of them even said they dont care what the fans think(and thats a good way to go about things, cuz fans, ive learned, can be stupid).

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd guess they wish they'd NEVER said it but when it comes down to it, they really don't care.

i mean come on - trom's GOT to regret some of the ***** he's said but we all KNOW he doesn't care!! tee hee!!

just jokin, big boy - don't get those ******* up your tushie again, ok?? :)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
har har

i always stand by what i say. when im wrong, im wrong. and yep, i sure dont care.

but yeah, morency seems like a solid backup. I hope it works out.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did you use red to hide comments or was that an attempt to make them more 'visible'??

Kinda hard to see for this old folgie.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was my first time using different colors

i popped my color cherry

my bad

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
that was my first time using different colors

i popped my color cherry

my bad

heh nice effort ... i thought it was jus my work LCD monitor so i didnt say noffin but i got home an was like ouchies my eyes suxors.

if u use bold an raise the size up a knotch that'd be killah

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i...dont think they care.

they care about winning games. they've said that multiple times. one of them even said they dont care what the fans think(and thats a good way to go about things, cuz fans, ive learned, can be stupid).

Stupid fans??? :shock: NOOOOO, not within the Packerfamily, no,no,no!!! :twisted: :wink:

And with that "Packer People"-thing (no answer to you, trom, just my two cents about the theme in general): How could a player, that didn't know anything about his trade until the morning before his flight to the new team, be a Packer?? He has to be judged by his abilities to play for the team, he has to fit the system AND the team and hopefully he can help the team, get some good PR, find new friends on the team. If that works, it will show, weather his charakter and behaviour and loyalty make him a Packer.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts