Montgomery - "Soft Tissue Injury" or Something Else?

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I like Monty he will never be the featured back. His health seems to always be in question. He's a great change of pace back ...but he can't carry the load when Winter comes.

I tend to agree with this and it was somewhat solidified when the Packers used 3 draft picks on RB's. Monty isn't a guy that can make his own holes and he is just learning how to find them (if they exist). If he can stay healthy and learn how to pass protect, I see his value as a back that predominantly comes out of the backfield as a receiver. If AR sees a favorable defense to audible to a run, Monty could be a dangerous back running out of the backfield, especially when you got M. Bennett sealing off the edge in front of him.

But you are 100% correct, if he can't stay healthy due to the increased hits, he doesn't do the Packers much good.

Montgomery is built like most other elite running backs in the league, therefore I don´t understand him being labelled as injury-prone playing the position. In addition he created a ton of yards after contact in limited action last season. There´s no doubt he has to improve in pass protection though.

Reaction score
Montgomery is built like most other elite running backs in the league, therefore I don´t understand him being labelled as injury-prone playing the position.
I actually agree with this. He's got perfect RB physique, and there is no evidence that - aside from his long term physical issue - he can't deal with game-to-game RB duty bruises. Still, even knowing that cognitively, I feel like he will not be our primary ball carrier by seasons end.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Montgomery couldn't stay healthy in 2015 when he was WR. I don't know why people think there's a good chance he will be healthy as a RB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery is built like most other elite running backs in the league, therefore I don´t understand him being labelled as injury-prone playing the position. In addition he created a ton of yards after contact in limited action last season. There´s no doubt he has to improve in pass protection though.

Yea but that doesn't equate to him having the same pain tolerance as other running backs his size.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually agree with this. He's got perfect RB physique, and there is no evidence that - aside from his long term physical issue - he can't deal with game-to-game RB duty bruises. Still, even knowing that cognitively, I feel like he will not be our primary ball carrier by seasons end.

I agree that it´s entirely possible that one of the rookies ends up being the primary ball carrier late in the season.

Ty Montgomery couldn't stay healthy in 2015 when he was WR. I don't know why people think there's a good chance he will be healthy as a RB.

On the other hand I have a hard time understanding why a lot of fans believe Montgomery can´t stay healthy lining up at running back because he was injured while playing wide receiver.

Yea but that doesn't equate to him having the same pain tolerance as other running backs his size.

It´s ridiculous to question Montgomery´s pain tolerance based on him missing the rest of the 2015 season after the ankle injury he suffered against the Chargers. While it seems the medical staff misjudged the severity of it early in the process there´s no reason to criticize Ty for being put on injured reserve several weeks later.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery has a lot to prove, but the dude WAS a running back. He kept trying to keep his weight down in order to play WR. He is a special type of athlete that has the ability to play both RB and WR. There aren't many of those guys that have played both in the modern era or otherwise. As for his ankle, the guy Chargers defender landed right on top of it in 2015. He suffered a high ankle sprain and was quoted in 2016 as saying the following:
Montgomery said his surgery contained three parts: tight ropes inserted into his ligaments to hold them in place, a cartilage repair and -- perhaps most serious -- a microfracture procedure on his talus (a bone between the heel and fibula and tibia). “I think there’s a stigma with a sprain,” Montgomery said. “But what I think a lot of people don’t understand is sprain means partial tear. And people forget I had the surgery in December.”
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery
I broke my right ankle twice in HS football, never missing a game at center and NT. In my early 20s, I got a high ankle sprain playing ultimate frisbee when I jumped up and landed on top of someone else's foot, causing my right ankle to roll badly. I was in a cast for two months, hobbled for a month or two after that, and wear an ankle brace to this day when I play competitive sports. Montgomery had one nasty injury and kept trying to come back from it. He learned his lesson and made through 2016 healthy.

He has a lot to prove but I don't think it's on the injury front. He needs to prove that he can pick up the blitz, run the ball between the tackles, but most importantly, he needs to show that he came replicate a James White type of back who can kill defenses by catching the ball out of the backfield either by design or when Rodgers needs an outlet.

Reaction score
Montgomery has a lot to prove, but the dude WAS a running back. He kept trying to keep his weight down in order to play WR. He is a special type of athlete that has the ability to play both RB and WR. There aren't many of those guys that have played both in the modern era or otherwise. As for his ankle, the guy Chargers defender landed right on top of it in 2015. He suffered a high ankle sprain and was quoted in 2016 as saying the following:http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery
I broke my right ankle twice in HS football, never missing a game at center and NT. In my early 20s, I got a high ankle sprain playing ultimate frisbee when I jumped up and landed on top of someone else's foot, causing my right ankle to roll badly. I was in a cast for two months, hobbled for a month or two after that, and wear an ankle brace to this day when I play competitive sports. Montgomery had one nasty injury and kept trying to come back from it. He learned his lesson and made through 2016 healthy.

He has a lot to prove but I don't think it's on the injury front. He needs to prove that he can pick up the blitz, run the ball between the tackles, but most importantly, he needs to show that he came replicate a James White type of back who can kill defenses by catching the ball out of the backfield either by design or when Rodgers needs an outlet.
I like all of what you say here, but there is also still the sickle cell trait thing. In addition to other limiting factors, that condition does make it take longer to come back from soft tissue injuries, in addition to making them more likely (relatively wide generalization; I only skimmed through the studies I looked at prior to this post but here is one you can read). I don't to hold his ankle injury against him at all, but, in a manner similar to what we are seeing with John(?) Brown, Monty does have long term durability concerns baked in, both short term in-game, and long term game-to-game.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like all of what you say here, but there is also still the sickle cell trait thing. In addition to other limiting factors, that condition does make it take longer to come back from soft tissue injuries, in addition to making them more likely (relatively wide generalization; I only skimmed through the studies I looked at prior to this post but here is one you can read). I don't to hold his ankle injury against him at all, but, in a manner similar to what we are seeing with Josh Brown, Monty does have long term durability concerns baked in, both short term in-game, and long term game-to-game.

I didn't know about John Brown, until I read your post. So I read a few articles (including the more medial one you posted). Sounds like he is having the same struggles as Monty. Currently he is struggling to heal from a quad injury. This article isn't very "medical" but is short and quick to the point of Brown and dealing with Sickle-cell.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...john-brown-sickle-cell-trait-still-a-concern/

OP
OP
Sky King

Sky King

Reaction score
I like all of what you say here, but there is also still the sickle cell trait thing. In addition to other limiting factors, that condition does make it take longer to come back from soft tissue injuries, in addition to making them more likely (relatively wide generalization; I only skimmed through the studies I looked at prior to this post but here is one you can read). I don't to hold his ankle injury against him at all, but, in a manner similar to what we are seeing with John(?) Brown, Monty does have long term durability concerns baked in, both short term in-game, and long term game-to-game.
Nice find with the article you linked (from NATA). Because of the seriousness of sickle cell trait, the team has to be extremely cautious. It makes one wonder if the Packers were aware of the condition and it's risks when they drafted him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it´s entirely possible that one of the rookies ends up being the primary ball carrier late in the season.

On the other hand I have a hard time understanding why a lot of fans believe Montgomery can´t stay healthy lining up at running back because he was injured while playing wide receiver.

It´s ridiculous to question Montgomery´s pain tolerance based on him missing the rest of the 2015 season after the ankle injury he suffered against the Chargers. While it seems the medical staff misjudged the severity of it early in the process there´s no reason to criticize Ty for being put on injured reserve several weeks later.

Nobody is questioning on how tough the guy is! The point is him and Zeke Elliot may not have the same pain tolerance ....even tho they are built the same.

Reaction score
Nice find with the article you linked (from NATA). Because of the seriousness of sickle cell trait, the team has to be extremely cautious. It makes one wonder if the Packers were aware of the condition and it's risks when they drafted him.
I somehow remember that when it came out last year, it was presented as if it were a revelation to the team as well - not necessarily at that exact moment, but recently to them. I could be wrong though - usually am.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I somehow remember that when it came out last year, it was presented as if it were a revelation to the team as well - not necessarily at that exact moment, but recently to them. I could be wrong though - usually am.

Monty's agent stated that Ty knew that he had the Sickle-Cell trait when he was playing at Stanford, but it had never affected him until last year. How much of that the Packers knew or used to grade him in the draft, I haven't heard.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nobody is questioning on how tough the guy is! The point is him and Zeke Elliot may not have the same pain tolerance ....even tho they are built the same.

In my opinion you´re questioning Montgomery´s toughness by suggesting he doesn´t have enough pain tolerance to be available for a full season in the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see it as a matter of pain tolerance or toughness, like John Brown, Monty is now faced with the facts of dealing with Sickle-Cell and its side effects. Sucks, but without a cure, it probably isn't going away. The Packers drafting of 3 RB's gives me some kind of indication that they were preparing for only having Monty for a limited amount of use. Makes you wonder if switching him to RB was such a good idea afterall, the amount of hits a RB sustains has to be far greater than a WR.

According to the CDC's website, those with sickle-cell trait are "more likely" to experience muscle breakdown when doing "intense exercise" than those who don't have the trait.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see it as a matter of pain tolerance or toughness, like John Brown, Monty is now faced with the facts of dealing with Sickle-Cell and its side effects. Sucks, but without a cure, it probably isn't going away. The Packers drafting of 3 RB's gives me some kind of indication that they were preparing for only having Monty for a limited amount of use. Makes you wonder if switching him to RB was such a good idea afterall, the amount of hits a RB sustains has to be far greater than a WR.

According to the CDC's website, those with sickle-cell trait are "more likely" to experience muscle breakdown when doing "intense exercise" than those who don't have the trait.

I have absolutely no idea how Montgomery suffering from sickle cell trait affects his durability but in my opinion it was a good move by the coaching staff to permanently move him to running back as he´s definitely capable of making an impact at the position while it´s possible he wouldn´t have even made the roster as a receiver.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ps

He'll be the primary ball carrier as long as he can hold on to the ball. For the simple reason of his versatility allows McCarthy unlimited formation options without changing personal. The matchup problems that both Montgomery and Bennett are going to cause are gonna drive defensive coordinators crazy

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea how Montgomery suffering from sickle cell trait affects his durability but in my opinion it was a good move by the coaching staff to permanently move him to running back as he´s definitely capable of making an impact at the position while it´s possible he wouldn´t have even made the roster as a receiver.

I agree that he is a bigger asset as a RB than he probably would have been solely as a WR.

I am not going to pretend I know a lot about Sickle-cell, especially at what level it is affecting Monty, but everything I have read does point to it as being able to potentially impact his future in a negative way.

Reaction score
I can't imagine him not making the roster as a WR. He was pretty solidly inserting himself in as our #4 WR when he got hurt, having impressed the coaches with his classroom and practice work, and impressed Rodgers with his ability to quickly learn routes and his instincts in contact. That's about as much praise as you need, and he's certainly more of a threat with the ball in his hands than Allision - who I still am very high on (Allison HoF Confirmed). It's pure supposition, but I would have been willing to bet he would be competing for WR3 this year if he had stayed.

Ps

He'll be the primary ball carrier as long as he can hold on to the ball. For the simple reason of his versatility allows McCarthy unlimited formation options without changing personal. The matchup problems that both Montgomery and Bennett are going to cause are gonna drive defensive coordinators crazy
That right there is the level of optimism that makes me think perhaps somebody spiked your drink with something. You should probably avoid operating heavy machinery for a while. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't imagine him not making the roster as a WR. He was pretty solidly inserting himself in as our #4 WR when he got hurt, having impressed the coaches with his classroom and practice work, and impressed Rodgers with his ability to quickly learn routes and his instincts in contact. That's about as much praise as you need, and he's certainly more of a threat with the ball in his hands than Allision - who I still am very high on (Allison HoF Confirmed). It's pure supposition, but I would have been willing to bet he would be competing for WR3 this year if he had stayed.

While it doesn´t matter anymore as Montgomery was permanently moved to running back I think you´re being too optimistic about his ceiling as a wide receiver.

H

HardRightEdge

Montgomery is built like most other elite running backs in the league, therefore I don´t understand him being labelled as injury-prone playing the position.
He runs high, like Starks, Mr. Chronic Ankle Sprain. That's fine if you get low on contact. But that style of runner can't perfectly time his dip on every run. And every time he does he exposes the legs to wear and tear on a high/low combo tackle. "Pad level" applies to running backs too, for their own health and well being.

Members online

No members online now.