Moll's and Spitz's return turns up heat on OL starters...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moll's and Spitz's return turns up heat on OL starters...

Jason Spitz lost his job to "Juice" Coston but is itching to get back into the starting lineup. And it isn't only the 23 year old Junius Coston who needs to work hard and focus on improving and holding his job.

The most disappointing lineman's play to this point has been that of Daryn Colledge (25). The number of mental mistakes has been far too much from a guy who started most of last year, and despite sounding confident Colledge is not playing like a guy sure of himself. In fact, Chad Clifton has taken heat from many fans for blown assignments by Daryn, but the coaches know what is happening and he is feeling the heat.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last season Colledge's poor performance against the Chargers got his butt benched temporarily and ultimately lit a fire under that behind that resulted in an improved performance. You can be that Daryn has not forgotten and is hearing the footsteps behind him.

Scott Wells (26) is another player who cannot afford to nap or take his starting spot for granted. Spitz wants back into the lineup and coaches have long thought that he would be a great center.

The 6-5 310 lb Tony Moll (24) gained a great deal of strength over the off season only to be sidelined almost immediately by a neck injury (stinger).

Tony is finally healthy, ready and roaring to go. He got a taste of being a starter last year by starting 5 games and he hopes to catch any of the guys in front of him napping so that he can challenge for their jobs. You may remember that Moll plays both tackle and both guard positions and his return strengthens the team on multiple levels:

-- it adds valuable depth;
-- it increases the options for the coaching staff if the offensive line continues to struggle;
-- it adds a competitive element that sometimes wanes when starters get too secure.

Given the offensive line's less than stellar performances (I'm being generous) God know they can use all of the help they can get.

Allen Barbre (23) is 6-4 300 and is as athletic as he is raw - both to the extreme. It would be nice for him to get a red-shirt season sitting on the bench gaining physical strength and knowledge of the system & offense. However, if the guys ahead of him aren't getting it done, we have seen that this coaching staff is not hesitant to make changes if that is what they believe is best for the team.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Moll's and Spitz's return turns up heat on OL starters..

I never understood why the coaching staff tried to make colledge into a G in the first place. TT tried to replace a great player with this kid, and I never felt Colledge was a gifted athlete. I have argued with many members of this forum about colledge.

Many here tried to tell me what a great player colledge was, how athletic he was, how this line is better than the line in 2004. I wrote how colledge was benched last year. people attacked me, and stated how great the guy was, and how i was not a packer fan.

Now after 2 games, there is talk of colledge losing his starting job, it does not really suprise me at all.

I'd like to see Moll, Coston, at G, Spitz at Center, and Tauch, Cliton at T.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: Moll's and Spitz's return turns up heat on OL starters..

I never understood why the coaching staff tried to make colledge into a G in the first place. TT tried to replace a great player with this kid, and I never felt Colledge was a gifted athlete. I have argued with many members of this forum about colledge.

Have you forgotten that the great and mighty Wahle started at Tackle, was a touted LT prospect comming into the pros. If yo remember he struggled mightly the first couple years of the convert to Guard. To a point he was on the bubble of being cut in a early training camp.

It will take some time to pick up the position and he probably is one of the best five players we have on the line, so he has to find a place to play. If his home someday is LT, I like the fact that he will know more positions and that will make him a better overall player. IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts