Minicamp was one to forget by Chris Havel of Press-Gazette

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Chris Havel's commentary in today Green Bay Press-Gazette-Friday June 10, 2005 Quote-"The Green Bay Packers' June minicamp couldn't end quick enough, and the July 26 opening of training camp can't get here fast enough. Six weeks is about six weeks too many to contemplate what transpired during the Packers' recent minicamp. The highlights were Edgar Bennett's chaity bowling event, Brett Favre's charity softball game and Mike Sherman's charity dodgeball game. While the bowling and the softball were designed to raise money, the dodgeball was intended to boost morale. Based on early returns, all three were a smashing success, especially compared to the Packers' most unimpressive minicamp in recent memory. If you subscribe to the theory that the June minicamp is overated, than there is nothing to worry about. If you believe that every mincamp matters and that sloppy play is foreshadowing of things to come, there is plenty to worry about. The Packers had moments during their seven day minicamp. The problem is many were forgetable. There was Ahmand Carrolls insubordination, Cletius Hunt's indifference and the offense's general ineffectiveness. Carroll the second year cornerback is living down to pre draft scouting report that warned about his temper , his moodiness and his unpolished game. When he tackled Donald Driver in a glaring lack of seld discipline , he responded to Sherman's harangue by immaturely waiving it away like no big deal. Carroll has six weeks to decide how he wishes to proceed. he can keep his ears open and his muth shut, and he can begin to trust in his god-given talent, or he can continue to fight teammates and coaches every holding penalty of the way.If Carroll gets it, and Jason Horton are going to get the chance they think they deserve. Right now There is no question Thomas is more dependable than Carroll because he is learning not to self destruct" unquote. There is little more to his commentary, but I am coping it from his article from the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Chris' columns are in premium section of packernews.com. You must pay for the service. I will relay the rest of his commentary in another posting when I have more time, unless some other Poster picks up where I left off.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he has learned his lesson as well. He seems like he may be developing into a "me first" prima donna though. I hope Joey Thomas wins the job outright. He seems like a much more level-headed player that will contribute. Carroll may be more suited for special teams and nickel.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the coaches can turn him around or we can get something in trade so as not to have a total waste of a #1.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope Carroll grows up. Sure would be a waste of athletic ability if he didn't.

I would guess the majority of these concerns that Havel pointed out fall on the players, but I wonder if a part of any of this stuff is because Sherman might be viewed as kind of a "lame duck" coach at the moment by some of the players since he currently doesn't have a contract extension?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im sure Carrol will be fine...he's gotten some negative press as of late, but to be honest, i could care less. whoever gets the nod has a lot on their shoulders in a Bates D regardless. may the best man win. also, it's strange how after Joey got a few positive minicamp articles it seems like a fanclub sprouted up outta nowhere.

as far as McBrien goes...i watched a couple NFLE games not too long ago. including that "stunning" 3 TD game he had. he looked sorry, granted thats all i've seen from him. no big loss as far as im concerned.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Carroll's attitude being the way it currently is --- there's a couple of things to consider

• 1. Has he been brought into the frey concerning McKenzie's beef(s) - ?
    2. We now know he has no real respect for Mike Sherman - is that why?
    3. Wouldn't his next step be to pull a trump card and hire Rosenhaus?
Just some things to consider.....

I still vote for a more cohesive player - Joey Thomas

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez, that would be something. Carroll hires Rosenhaus and the agent turns around and tries to convince everyone under the sun that Ahmad is just "misunderstood...he's very coachable and the refs just give him a bad rep with the holding, pass interference, etc." If Carroll gets a big contract extension anytime soon without a significant performance increase, I don't think I could handle it. :shock: :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts