Matt Leinart Finally Signs, Could Make More Then AJ Hawk.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A relieved and ever-smiling Matt Leinart joined the Arizona Cardinals training camp on Tuesday, and quickly learned he would be playing at New England in four days.

LeinartCould harsh words from Dennis Green have pushed Matt Leinart to get a deal done?

"My dream has been to play in the NFL," he said. "What better way to kick off an NFL career -- whether it's one play or a couple of series -- than against the Patriots."

Late Monday night, Leinart signed a six-year contract that guarantees the former Heisman Trophy winner $14 million. Leinart, who could earn as much as $51 million, is the last first-round draft pick to sign.

"I feel good, I'm ready," he said at a news conference before his first practice. "This is my job now and I've got to take responsibility for all of that. I'm ready to go. I'm ready to work. I'm ready to get better. I'm ready to catch up with the other guys."

He took a physical in Tempe, then headed up I-17 to the Cardinals' camp at Northern Arizona University.

"I can't even describe how I'm feeling," Leinart said. "I was like a little kid driving today. I drove by myself, a two-hour drive in the woods and the trees, taking in the scenery, then just being out here with my teammates. I just can't wait to get out there and practice."

Both he and coach Dennis Green brushed aside Green's sharply critical remarks about Leinart's holdout on Monday.

"I didn't take offense to it," Leinart said. "Every coach wants his players in camp, on the team, to be at practice and all of that. Now it's over with and we put it behind us. That's what we talked about today."

Green said he probably should have skipped his media session on Monday, given his dark mood, "but I had to get it off my chest."

What a difference a day makes. The coach was downright jolly on Tuesday.

"I wasn't angry. I was excitable," he said. "I just felt we wanted him to get here and help us win and help him become a good football player. That's really my job as a coach, to create an atmosphere where guys can develop as a player. It's hard to do that if the player's not here."

Both said Green's outburst had no impact on the talks.

Green has yet to determine how much Leinart will play Saturday, but was confident the left-handed rookie would make up for the time he missed. Leinart took part in all of the team's workouts this spring and summer.

"In this day and age, you get a lot of work in April and May and June," Green said. "Of course, he's very talented. He's been in a pro system. I think he'll make it up pretty quickly. He'll have a chance to play in three preseason games, and I think he'll be ready when the regular season starts."

Leinart will room with starter Kurt Warner for his brief training camp stay. The last workout in the cool pines of Flagstaff will be Thursday. Practices shift to the team's facility in Tempe next week.

For now, Leinart is locked in a competition for the No. 2 quarterback spot with John Navarre, who threw two interceptions in the team's 21-13 victory over Pittsburgh on Saturday.

That game unveiled the $455 million Cardinals Stadium, where Leinart is expected to eventually hold a starring role.

It has been a tumultuous ride for the former USC star, who might have been the No. 1 pick a year ago after leading USC to its second national title, but returned to the Trojans for his senior year. The team lost to Texas in last season's national championship game, and Leinart surprisingly fell to Arizona's No. 10 pick in the draft.

He was the second quarterback chosen, behind Texas' Vince Young, taken at No. 3 by Tennessee.

Leinart said he doesn't second-guess his decision to play another year at USC.

"Never," he said. "I don't even really think about that. It doesn't cross my mind. I did the best decision for me, and I don't regret it. We were a half-yard away from winning three in a row. That's the way it goes."

Joining the pass-oriented offense of Green, with two of the most talented young receivers in the NFL in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, eases any disappointment that might linger from his draft-day fall.

"It wasn't how I planned it, but I learned so much," Leinart said. "I'm so happy to be in Arizona. You don't even understand. It's a great place for a quarterback to be."

His Guaranteed Money is more then the two picks in front of him, his contract could be worth more then AJ Hawk's and he was picked 5 picks later. I never thought that he would be the one holding out. Would some one please time me why he held out and why the hell he got this much money?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without thinking much about it, I don't see much of a problem there. He's guaranteed less money, right? And he could make more over the length of the whole thing, because, let's face it, quarterbacks are it.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
His Guaranteed Money is more then the two picks in front of him, his contract could be worth more then AJ Hawk's and he was picked 5 picks later. I never thought that he would be the one holding out. Would some one please time me why he held out and why the hell he got this much money?
Because he's Matt Leinart. That's a stupid question. Who cares if he was picked #10, he's the most high profile rookie there is. He held out because he knew they'd show him the mad cash, and he was right.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How on earth can you say that Matt is the most High Profile Rookie There Is?

Let's be realistic here for just one moment.

Reggie Bush is by far the most high profile rookie there is. It is not even close.

Matt was picked 10th for a reason. A reason! Do you really think that 9 teams passed on him by accident?

I smell Ryan Leaf's after shave as I type this. That after shave is called "Hollywood Nights." Matt's legacy may be that he spent a night "in" the HILTON. Paris Hilton of course.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac,

Or should I call you Dude?

I have no idea how hard it would be to get with Paris Hilton.

I would not want to, nor would I have a chance, if I did want to give my best effort to get with Paris Hilton. Infact I would bet that she is off limits to every member of packerform.com

However... I reckon that Monica Lewinski may be a reachable goal for some here. Unless she of course suffers a knee injury during the pre season.

R.P.

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
kmac,

Or should I call you Dude?

I have no idea how hard it would be to get with Paris Hilton.

I would not want to, nor would I have a chance, if I did want to give my best effort to get with Paris Hilton. Infact I would bet that she is off limits to every member of packerform.com

However... I reckon that Monica Lewinski may be a reachable goal for some here. Unless she of course suffers a knee injury during the pre season.
R.P.

bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha! That was awsome. :lol:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
kmac said:
Dude, do you really think it's that hard to get with Paris Hilton?

Of course not, but still Paris is one fine gal. :thumbsup:

If Paris Hilton wasn't born into money, which of the following professions would she be working as?

1. Waitress
2. Hairdresser
3. Stripper

My vote is for #3 simply because I don't think she possesses the intelligence for the first two on the list. The only thing that makes her seem hot is the fact she has "hardcore *****" written all over her, and she made a movie to prove it.

Fine gal? Dude, you must have low standards! :p

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
all about da packers said:
kmac said:
Dude, do you really think it's that hard to get with Paris Hilton?

Of course not, but still Paris is one fine gal. :thumbsup:

If Paris Hilton wasn't born into money, which of the following professions would she be working as?

1. Waitress
2. Hairdresser
3. Stripper

My vote is for #3 simply because I don't think she possesses the intelligence for the first two on the list. The only thing that makes her seem hot is the fact she has "hardcore *****" written all over her, and she made a movie to prove it.

Fine gal? Dude, you must have low standards! :p

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

I agree 100% Robert!!!! And honestly, i don't think she's "hot" at all. She's just a skinny ***** who hasn't EARNED anything she has.
Even having money hasn't taken the "HO" out of her. Just shows that you can't BUY "class!"

Reaction score
Yeah that is the thing, most of the hollywood celebs are friggin thin as hell. Talk about anerexia being a problem....

However any girl I get with has gotta dig the lawyer in me.... 8)