Mark Murphy leaves NFL Competition Committee

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the OP's point, it does concern me that the Packers don't have a seat at the competition committee table. The NFL is an good'ol boys club, with lots happening behind closed doors. Without an actual owner, the Packers are at a disadvantage because we aren't a part of those conversations. Being on the committees helps Green Bay have a voice in the direction of things.

I would like to see the Packers get somebody else back on the committee.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Murphy was appointed in 2012 so he's had almost 10 years on the committee. Vrabel is a good addition.
This is from NFL Operations with the new memebrs in bold -

"The NFL commissioner selects the members of the Competition Committee, which currently consists of two owners, two club presidents, two general managers and three head coaches (actually 4 HCs now):"
  • Rich McKay (Chairman) – Atlanta
  • Katie Blackburn – Cincinnati
  • Chris Grier – Miami
  • Stephen Jones – Dallas
  • John Mara – NY Giants
  • Ozzie Newsome – Baltimore
  • Frank ***** – Indianapolis
  • Ron Rivera – Washington
  • Mike Tomlin – Pittsburgh
  • Mike Vrabel – Tennessee
(EDIT - You have got to friggin kidding me - the website censored Frank R e i c h - does it think we are white supremists here?)

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imho, he's incompetent. his drafts have mostly sucked.

"Incompetent" is an indefensible take, sorry. You're free not to like every move he makes, or even to think we can do better. But take into account his drafting, his free-agency acquisitions, and his cap maneuvering to identify and retain valuable veterans (including mollifying ARod this fall), and we're now looking at a team with maybe the most talented roster in football. Maybe the cap bites us in the *** next year, and yeah he's imperfect. But calling him incompetent is foolish.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first, i believe i'm free to believe he's incompetent, unless things have changed in the u.s.

but seriously, "his drafting" has been awful for the most part. way below average at best.
I’m free to believe that I can fly…. that doesn’t make it correct.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first, i believe i'm free to believe he's incompetent, unless things have changed in the u.s.

but seriously, "his drafting" has been awful for the most part. way below average at best.
I respect your opinion as well as your right to have one. In my opinion your opinion about the Packers drafts shows your incompetence at evaluating said drafts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

"Incompetent" is an indefensible take, sorry. You're free not to like every move he makes, or even to think we can do better. But take into account his drafting, his free-agency acquisitions, and his cap maneuvering to identify and retain valuable veterans (including mollifying ARod this fall), and we're now looking at a team with maybe the most talented roster in football. Maybe the cap bites us in the *** next year, and yeah he's imperfect. But calling him incompetent is foolish.
The bolded portion made me laugh. I'm certain we have a few people here who actually think they could do better, but people are definitely free to be complete idiots if they see fit. :)

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If we take a look at all front offices and their drafts one is going to find "wins" and "losses" in the draft. 2021 is going to have some players that are going to be in Green Bay through at least their first contracts. With the average of an NFL players career being 3.5 years I would say that is pretty good. Stokes, Myers, Amari Rodgers, Newman, I think will all be Packers for a while.
2020: Dillon and Runyan play a lot. Garvin and Deguara see the field. Not a great draft so far. Still some time for development though.
2019: Gary, Savage, Jenkins, Keke are all basically starters and in a heavy rotation of playing. Those are some good players.
2018: Alexander, MVS... beyond those it is kind of a stinker.

I don't disagree that the drafting could have been better. I don't think incompetent is the correct word. I don't even think below average is the right way to put it. Maybe average, but there are some real pros in there that are going to be expensive to re-sign. If we get a couple of pros like Dillon, Alexander and Jenkins every draft we are doing pretty well. Just my take on it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If we take a look at all front offices and their drafts one is going to find "wins" and "losses" in the draft. 2021 is going to have some players that are going to be in Green Bay through at least their first contracts. With the average of an NFL players career being 3.5 years I would say that is pretty good. Stokes, Myers, Amari Rodgers, Newman, I think will all be Packers for a while.
2020: Dillon and Runyan play a lot. Garvin and Deguara see the field. Not a great draft so far. Still some time for development though.
2019: Gary, Savage, Jenkins, Keke are all basically starters and in a heavy rotation of playing. Those are some good players.
2018: Alexander, MVS... beyond those it is kind of a stinker.

I don't disagree that the drafting could have been better. I don't think incompetent is the correct word. I don't even think below average is the right way to put it. Maybe average, but there are some real pros in there that are going to be expensive to re-sign. If we get a couple of pros like Dillon, Alexander and Jenkins every draft we are doing pretty well. Just my take on it.
Great take Krabs. You explained it very well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if this had anything to do with the dispute that led to Murphy, Elway, and Payton leaving the competition committee..? https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...x-recent-officiating-woes-why-trending-answer
a couple seasons of that, where games are hinged on phantom or no calls and the NFL has no implemented it's official sit on your *** at home gambling app and millions of dollars start being shifted around on those calls, any trust some fans have the game is still "clean" will erode quickly. I really think we are at the pinnacle of the NFL and it's going to be downhill from here.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a couple seasons of that, where games are hinged on phantom or no calls and the NFL has no implemented it's official sit on your *** at home gambling app and millions of dollars start being shifted around on those calls, any trust some fans have the game is still "clean" will erode quickly. I really think we are at the pinnacle of the NFL and it's going to be downhill from here.
I have been feeling this way for a while now.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are only three players left on the roster of the 2018 draft but there's not a lot of reason to complain considering the Packers were able to select an elite cornerback with their first pick. Gutekunst hit the ball out of the park in 2019 by selecting Gary, Savage and Jenkins with the team's first three picks and adding Keke in the fifth round.

While Dillon has been very good the 2020 draft will be evaluated by the development of Love. So far, it doesn't look promising. This year's class looks promising as well.

Therefore I definitely don't agree his drafting has been terrible for the most part.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok.. let me try again. This isn’t about Murphy, Elway, or Peyton specifically. What’s important is …. What happened inside the competition committee that caused them to either be asked to resign or made them angry enough to want to. Furthermore… this in no way suggests that Murphy would be leaving the Packers.
I get what you and GOPack are going back and forth about. We'll never find out why he's not non the committee, and IMO it probably doesn't matter that much. He's just a vote after all.

But I will use this as an opportunity to express my displeasure with Murphy, for whatever it's worth. Don't wanna start a debate. I was just happier with the Packers as an organization when Harlan was running the show. In fairness, he was part of the brain trust that fired the useless MM and hired MLF, and those were very good things.

D

Deleted member 6794

But I will use this as an opportunity to express my displeasure with Murphy, for whatever it's worth. Don't wanna start a debate. I was just happier with the Packers as an organization when Harlan was running the show. In fairness, he was part of the brain trust that fired the useless MM and hired MLF, and those were very good things.

I have posted that on numerous occasions but I have a hard time understanding having a displeasure with Murphy when it comes to his primary responsibility, which is keeping the Packers in a good financial situation. There's absolutely no doubt he has done a great job regarding it.

I agree he shouldn't be involved in football decisions, that's a recipe for disaster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I get what you and GOPack are going back and forth about. We'll never find out why he's not non the committee, and IMO it probably doesn't matter that much. He's just a vote after all.

Well there is the recently revealed little tidbit that many NFL insiders are very unhappy with what they consider to be the NFL's kid's glove punishment of the Packers regarding the covid mess. Apparently, many around the league feel that the Packers are the fair haired golden child and get preferential treatment. Murphy must be getting along quite well with league officials which would seem to me to be of significant value.

Members online

Latest posts