Lofton interviews with Raiders

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com

Hall of Famer Lofton interviews with Raiders

NFL.com wire reports

(Jan. 16, 2007) -- San Diego Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton interviewed for a second straight year for the Oakland Raiders head coaching vacancy.

Lofton, a Hall of Fame receiver, met with Oakland owner Al Davis and other team executives to discuss replacing the fired Art Shell as coach. Lofton was one of the candidates last year when Shell was hired to replace Norv Turner.

Lofton is the first minority candidate to interview for the job, a requirement under the so-called "Rooney Rule" before a team can hire a coach.

Southern California quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian, Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel interviewed last week for the job.

Lofton, a finalist for the head-coaching job at Stanford that went to Jim Harbaugh last month, just finished his fifth season as an assistant with San Diego, but has no head-coaching experience.

After starring in college at Stanford, Lofton was a first-round pick by Green Bay in 1978. During his 16-year career, he also played for the Raiders, Buffalo, the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia. He finished his career with 764 catches for 14,004 yards and scored 75 touchdowns and played in three Super Bowls with Buffalo.

The Raiders are one of three teams with coaching vacancies to fill, along with Miami and Pittsburgh. Atlanta and Arizona have already hired new coaches.

** I wonder if this would hurt or hinder the possibility of trading for Moss.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard last night on JT the Brick, with Chris Landry, and I am pretty sure they said Steve Sarkisian was going to get the job..

In fact they said it was more to do with the Rooney Rule then anything else..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If I was a black man in the NFL going for a coaching job, I'd be despising that Rooney Rule big time. It's disrespectful and goes against what we are taught as kids. Everyone is EQUAL.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I was a black man in the NFL going for a coaching job, I'd be despising that Rooney Rule big time. It's disrespectful and goes against what we are taught as kids. Everyone is EQUAL.

I was listening to Gary Ellerson on sports radio 1250 yesterday and they brought this up..

He said that he likes the rule cuz it gives a black man a chance to sit in the chair with the owner...then its up to the guy to wow the owner to get the job...He thinks that at least the guys are getting those interviews where as before it seemed like they weren't getting as much.

** For those that dont know..Gary is an African American that played for the Pack and the Lions.**

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I was listening to Gary Ellerson on sports radio 1250 yesterday and they brought this up..

He said that he likes the rule cuz it gives a black man a chance to sit in the chair with the owner...then its up to the guy to wow the owner to get the job...He thinks that at least the guys are getting those interviews where as before it seemed like they weren't getting as much.

** For those that dont know..Gary is an African American that played for the Pack and the Lions.**

I see his point. I suppose you can't really ask for much more than a chance, but I'd hate to have the chance given to me due to the color of my skin rather than my skills of earning the interview.

P@ck66 said:
What world do you live in Zero?

Things are FAR from equal in this country...hence, the rule!
Everyone is equal is what we have been taught as kids. I don't understand how a vastly experienced individual such as yourself could not make that simple connection. Instead, you dribble it down to an insulting comment?

I may have the "wrong" perception on this, that's fine, but to insult my intelligence for having a different opinion is ... wrong and uncalled for.

I really hope someday you can find a reason to be a postive and pleasant person. It's quite obvious you are a very angry individual. Hopefully that is completely wrong and I am jus misunderstanding your comments. Regardless, lets think how to make it a better one for you, perhaps smile more often?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zero2Cool said:

I see his point. I suppose you can't really ask for much more than a chance, but I'd hate to have the chance given to me due to the color of my skin rather than my skills of earning the interview.

P@ck66 said:
What world do you live in Zero?

Things are FAR from equal in this country...hence, the rule!
Everyone is equal is what we have been taught as kids. I don't understand how a vastly experienced individual such as yourself could not make that simple connection. Instead, you dribble it down to an insulting comment?

I may have the "wrong" perception on this, that's fine, but to insult my intelligence for having a different opinion is ... wrong and uncalled for.

I really hope someday you can find a reason to be a postive and pleasant person. It's quite obvious you are a very angry individual. Hopefully that is completely wrong and I am jus misunderstanding your comments. Regardless, lets think how to make it a better one for you, perhaps smile more often?

As much as i hate to say this, I dont think 66 was insulting you at all Zero..

He was merely stating what a vast majority of people around the world feel like, and that is some people are not treated as equals.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
As much as i hate to say this, I dont think 66 was insulting you at all Zero..

He was merely stating what a vast majority of people around the world feel like, and that is some people are not treated as equals.
Questioning the world I live on is ignorant.
Stating that the country is far from being equal as if I didn't know that already, again, ignorant.

Mind you, he made those comments because he couldn't comprehend what I had posted and took his own twist on it.

Thats how I took it. If that's the wrong perception, I'm wrong. Regardless, it was a comment that was not neccessary and quite frankly, his history towards me suggests my suspiction of his comments are accurate.

Members online

Latest posts