Less Lambeau Leaps???

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Say it ain't so...

Editorial: We'll miss the celebration, but we'll take the points

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...=pKHhsNmNepuBsNeEvVxLQTWRl7pr8b0M8rX4utjL6KQ=

Is this the end of a cherished image? The Green Bay Packers are spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $3 million for a new playing surface at Lambeau Field that will feature a mixture of real grass and synthetic GrassMaster fibers.

We won't quibble with the necessity of this project, but we are a bit concerned by two consequences brought to our attention by the Packers fields manager Allen Johnson.

An improved drainage and heating system with a base of sand, not clay, will mean a less muddy field late in the season. And a flattened playing surface will mean less Lambeau leaping, especially among those players who have more girth to lift.

Part of our Packers mythological memory is a linebacker big as a dump truck, uniform stained with the mud and dirt of the field, recovering a fumble, rambling into the end zone, then hurtling into the arms of the overjoyed first row faithful.

So this season it may be clean uniforms and a polite bow to the fans.

We'd still settle for the six points.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol cmon ... its not gonna change the field that much... the center of the field is 14 inch's higher than the outset in a dome shape... its being leveled out.

Lambeau Leap is not going to be effected by anyone who couldn't do the leap last year :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
theres a 14 inch increase from out skirt to center???

and its been like that how long?

Its been like that for awhile from what I understand.

The center of many fields are higher than the outset for drainage purpose. I remember seeing a picture of the Superdome and you could see the arch extremely well and I believe players even complained about it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who would think the superdome needed drainage?

i kinda wish they would leave the field alone. if we are going to a defensive mind set... it would behoove us to have a hard to run on field.
the muddier the better. the nastier the better.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
who would think the superdome needed drainage?

i kinda wish they would leave the field alone. if we are going to a defensive mind set... it would behoove us to have a hard to run on field.
the muddier the better. the nastier the better.

I don't think their field was crowned for drainage. If so, that shows very little faith in the roof.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
theres a 14 inch increase from out skirt to center???

and its been like that how long?
The most noticeable difference in the field for the fans and players likely will be the reduction of the "crown" in the middle of the field. Previously, Johnson said, the crown was anywhere from 10 to 14 inches high, but with the sand base improving drainage, the crown was lowered to 5 1/2 inches.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember there used to be a trampoline for some of the larger players.

Is that discontinued and if so when? I hope they move it each quarter.

I was quite happy the fans pushed Fred Smoot back last year.

Well if it affects anyone, it certainly wont be Greg Jennings.
As I recall, Jennings got Brett's 400th on that clip.

Greg Jennings made a rookie mistake on his first one and has been coached on it.

With his 41 inch vertical leap, I think that James Jones should have some entertaining ones. Perhaps one of his will be # 421. Whoever gets that one will have it shown many times and will have to give up the ball.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol cmon ... its not gonna change the field that much... the center of the field is 14 inch's higher than the outset in a dome shape... its being leveled out.

Lambeau Leap is not going to be effected by anyone who couldn't do the leap last year :)

I agree, would someone explain to me why leveling the middle of the field will affect anyone attempting to do the Lambeau Leap.

I've seen a few hundred of them in my day, but have yet to see anyone try to do one from midfield.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare -- This following was in The Green Bay Press-Gazette article by Press-Gazette reporter Tony Walter. The article was called New Turf means fewer leaps, but drier cleats. ........ "This project also includes removing a concret hump in each end zone that heavier Packers sought when they wanted to leap into fans arms.

Any defensive tackle returning fumble or reception for a touchdown in Lambeau Field will be looking for a boost." (From his teamates.).... "Removing a concrete hump in each end zone. That means a Lambeau leap will be about 6 feet from the ground to top of railing"

The lighter and more athletic Packer receivers & Running backs should still be able to do the Lambeau Leap. Hope that explains it.

Reducing the height of playing field's crown from 14 inches to about 5 inches would make no difference in any player's ability to do or not do the Lambeau Leap

Members online

Latest posts