1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Less Lambeau Leaps???

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pack93z, May 18, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Say it ain't so...

Editorial: We'll miss the celebration, but we'll take the points

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...=pKHhsNmNepuBsNeEvVxLQTWRl7pr8b0M8rX4utjL6KQ=

Is this the end of a cherished image? The Green Bay Packers are spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $3 million for a new playing surface at Lambeau Field that will feature a mixture of real grass and synthetic GrassMaster fibers.

We won't quibble with the necessity of this project, but we are a bit concerned by two consequences brought to our attention by the Packers fields manager Allen Johnson.

An improved drainage and heating system with a base of sand, not clay, will mean a less muddy field late in the season. And a flattened playing surface will mean less Lambeau leaping, especially among those players who have more girth to lift.

Part of our Packers mythological memory is a linebacker big as a dump truck, uniform stained with the mud and dirt of the field, recovering a fumble, rambling into the end zone, then hurtling into the arms of the overjoyed first row faithful.

So this season it may be clean uniforms and a polite bow to the fans.

We'd still settle for the six points.

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    lol cmon ... its not gonna change the field that much... the center of the field is 14 inch's higher than the outset in a dome shape... its being leveled out.

Lambeau Leap is not going to be effected by anyone who couldn't do the leap last year :)

3. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    theres a 14 inch increase from out skirt to center???

and its been like that how long?

4. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Its been like that for awhile from what I understand.

The center of many fields are higher than the outset for drainage purpose. I remember seeing a picture of the Superdome and you could see the arch extremely well and I believe players even complained about it.

5. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    who would think the superdome needed drainage?

i kinda wish they would leave the field alone. if we are going to a defensive mind set... it would behoove us to have a hard to run on field.
    the muddier the better. the nastier the better.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    More Lambeau Leaps! We Want More!

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    yeah

8. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think their field was crowned for drainage. If so, that shows very little faith in the roof.

9. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well if it affects anyone, it certainly wont be Greg Jennings.

10. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Especially at the Lions place.

11. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

12. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We should all pitch in for a green and gold jogging trampoline at either end.

13. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember there used to be a trampoline for some of the larger players.

Is that discontinued and if so when? I hope they move it each quarter.

I was quite happy the fans pushed Fred Smoot back last year.

As I recall, Jennings got Brett's 400th on that clip.

Greg Jennings made a rookie mistake on his first one and has been coached on it.

With his 41 inch vertical leap, I think that James Jones should have some entertaining ones. Perhaps one of his will be # 421. Whoever gets that one will have it shown many times and will have to give up the ball.

14. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, would someone explain to me why leveling the middle of the field will affect anyone attempting to do the Lambeau Leap.

I've seen a few hundred of them in my day, but have yet to see anyone try to do one from midfield.

15. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lare -- This following was in The Green Bay Press-Gazette article by Press-Gazette reporter Tony Walter. The article was called New Turf means fewer leaps, but drier cleats. ........ "This project also includes removing a concret hump in each end zone that heavier Packers sought when they wanted to leap into fans arms.

Any defensive tackle returning fumble or reception for a touchdown in Lambeau Field will be looking for a boost." (From his teamates.).... "Removing a concrete hump in each end zone. That means a Lambeau leap will be about 6 feet from the ground to top of railing"

The lighter and more athletic Packer receivers & Running backs should still be able to do the Lambeau Leap. Hope that explains it.

Reducing the height of playing field's crown from 14 inches to about 5 inches would make no difference in any player's ability to do or not do the Lambeau Leap

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Heck.....then come up with something NEW!!!! :thumbsup: