Landon Collins seems to be sliding on some mocks

D

Deleted member 6794

So, if the best available player on the board is a strong safety and you want to pick him, then you need to have a place for him to play. The only place that seems remotely likely is cover corner. Put him there and find out how good a player he really is. Or have him punt and at least open a roster spot. Or trade Burnett.

Collins is best suited to play strong safety cause he's not great in coverage. He won't be able to play cover corner in the NFL. Trading Burnett to get him an unproven SS on the field doesn't make sense either. Perhaps he's capable of turning into a nice punter, I don't know, but spending a first rounder on a project at the position doesn't seem to be practical though.

H

HardRightEdge

Collins is best suited to play strong safety cause he's not great in coverage. He won't be able to play cover corner in the NFL. Trading Burnett to get him an unproven SS on the field doesn't make sense either. Perhaps he's capable of turning into a nice punter, I don't know, but spending a first rounder on a project at the position doesn't seem to be practical though.
I know. I was making a point.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
educate me. why couldnt collins play ILB well enough to start?

Look, I don't claim to be a draftnik, never have never will, I just don't have the time. I'm also not the one who is sitting on these boards saying that we should draft a RB (a position of essentially no need right now) or a S (who may or may not be able to play ILB) in the 1st Rd.

Here's what I do know, there's 5 guys projected to go in the 1st and/or 2nd rounds who have played LB at the collegate level and are projected to do the same in the NFL. Those are the guys I want, and frankly I don't care which one. Not a guy who we should "give a few polish sausages" to to get him to a comparable LB weight. Could he play ILB in the NFL? I don't know. But if he can't then what? I'll tell you, you have just wasted a 1st Rd pick that's what.

I was watching the NFLN last night as they revisited the 2005 draft. The Jaguars drafted Matt Jones witht he 21st pick, a QB who they were going to convert to WR. Guy had all the physical tools to be an elite WR in the NFL. How did that work out? Now, he had other off the field issues that derailed his career I get that but the point is those are the types of decisions that derail a franchise.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ace, I can respect that answer....

I want to point out that I was the FIRST to mention Gordon getting picked by GB at #30. Since then I've read articles, and others have seen the good sides to that move. Namely as mentioned it extends Lacys career, by not overusing him, and no drop off in talent. It diversifies our offense, with a volitile speed RB. It reduces leverage Lacy will have when a deal is negotiated. Lacy might want 10 mil/yr in 2 years, then what? I also point out Gordon has the best statistics since Barry Sanders, IMO the best RB in history. I dont think he's just average. I think he could do exactly what Lacy did for us. Open all sorts of new doors.

That said, its admitedly a risky idea. Gordon's value has rose since then, and he wont make it to 30 IMO. And yes, we do have other needs. I dont care. its that simple. Waste a 1st on Sherrod or Harrell. Get limited production from Perry and Jones. And we dont miss a beat... 1st round pick is not a make or break scenario... But it could get us a young star if we dont draft for need.

Also this Collins idea. You or anybody cant tell me a 230 pound bruising safety couldnt move up 10 steps and play some ILB in passing downs AT LEAST! If not all downs. It fills the exact position you all say is a dire need...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gordon gone at #15. San diego got a good one...
Landon Collins still on the board... Even after drafting an apparent CB in the 1st. I wouldnt be against Landon Collins playing cover ILB for us as a nickel/dime. Allowing pure pass rushers like Peppers and Perry to play more, without the liability of being in coverage too much...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts