kgb article pcker report

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk about writing about the obvious. I just hope and have faith that all these guys needed was some good quality coaching. Also I know we dont have much money, but none of the rumors have us really looking for D line help. They just keep saying how deep we are. I truly hope so.

KGB needs more help

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila By Doug Ritchay , [email protected]
Date: Jun 18, 2005

Last season, Packers defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila recorded 13.5 sacks, good for second in the NFL. Judging by this number, he must have had a great season. Not really.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line is if the Packers had quality depth on the defensive line, KGB would be more of a quality player. He would get less snaps, but make more of an impact.
Because the Packers haven't added anything significant to the defensive line this off-season, expect more of the same for KGB: About 12 sacks, and as the season grows older, KGB will wear down.
Notice the statement in bold - remind you of a point made in another thread by BRUCE? More evidence of media bias at work.... Packer fans need to be on guard for this nonsense and stay the course!

Rounding out the top 10 in order of 6-10 are: LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego; Byron Leftwich, Jacksonville; Carnell

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most national networks and publications will cater to the larger metro areas because of the greater populations which brings higher ratings and sales. That's the way it will always be so fans should take much of what is said with a grain of salt and as IBP said stay the course.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure how there is a media bias here. Other than some mid to low round draft picks, the packers (I think literally) added nobody to their line, as the bolded quote stated.

Yes, they have lots of projects with a lot of potential, but name for me a team that doesn't! I'm not saying that the Packers line can't rise up, or doesn't have some studs in the making, but on paper, to a casual observer, they don't appear all that special, and I don't see anything wrong with what was written.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read it and posted...keep in mind that we are able to follow the packers a lot closer then the ESPNs and CNNSIs. Lets take, for example, the seahawks and Rams...both borderline playoff teams last year, just like the pack and vikes...you don't follow them as closely as you do the packers (much like the national media...can't focus on any one team)...

hypothetically, if the hawks have 2 first round picks...add a number of former high first rounders and former pro bowlers, while the rams added a new OC and some mid round dbs and borderline starting dbs, o-linemen, honestly, who would you pick to finish higher (keeping in mind both had a similar starting point off of last year). I'd certainly pick the seahawks. Applying that to the pack/vikings...the vikes had sexier picks...it grabs the headlines...the packers have lots of projects in the making, but so do other teams....that's why the **** pick ups equate to the preseason SB champ picks. Do I have faith that the packer projects will step up, more so than expected...definetly! Do I blame the media for overlooking the packers...not at all!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media will always base its commentary on the top 6 teams in general.
But glorifying criminalistic behaviors appears to be (what they think is) their bread & butter - ala Ray Lewis, etc. I certainly don't want to the Packers moving in that direction. But, more times than not - the Packers apparently don't even deserve an honorable mention unless it has negative value.... I'm pretty much tired of it from ESPN especially. The Philly Eagles are not the godsend of the NFL - which is the way they treat things.

Hopefully, the NFL Channel can help the NFL rid itself of that albatross.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point about ESPN's love affair with the Eagles, but at the same time...3 (or 4?) straight NFC title games, the SB this year...they've backed it up.

As for lack of attention to the Packers...what more can be said?!? Favre has been covered a lot...ad nauseum if you're not a packer fan...they didn't have any huge moves the last 2 offseasons (Signing Grady or Bates is peanuts in the media's eye relative to T.O, Dillon, or Saban).

I hope it doesn't appear that I'm trying to disagree w/ everything you say just for the sake of it :D , and I agree that the attention given to the Packers is mainly due to negative stuff right now, but as I said, I don't think the pack did anything particularily exciting, from a media perspective, the last year or two.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy, you have very good points and they are well taken. But the fact that knowing what is going on in sports is their business and they have staffs that work on that 24/7 they should be more knowledgeable that to just report on what is "****" or obvious.

ESPN leaves a lot to be desired as they promote the BS like TO with his pen, Horn with the phone, etc. And if you are not from NY, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, the SEC, or the ACC don't expect much respect. Favre gets a fair amout of pub, but Peyton and Eli are the darlings. Even with his SB wins Brady doesn't get as much pub, and he kicks their butts when he plays them.

As I said you have good points, but I just feel they could do a better job.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to be such a pain in the butt since we are basically just agreeing to disagree, but a few more points/twists

Basically, the Packers D is counting on Bates et al to bring out a lot of Donald Drivers...bring out the potential of a lot of projects. If ESPN made their predictions based on teams with projects on the cusp of succeeding, then they'd pick about 25 teams to win the super bowl every year. What team doesn't have a slew of draft picks that could pan out (that's basically what every 3-7th rounder is) and players that have been lingering in the shadows due to injuries or time needed to develop?!? If I'm Sean Salisbury or Peter King, and my credibility matters, then the majority of the time, I'm picking the team that's added the biggest, most proven names, and high draft picks (which are generally more likely to succeed).

I mentioned this in another thread...even the local media, which covers only the Packers did not see Donald Driver stepping up like he did, so how can we expect a major media source, which is responsible for covering 32 teams, to pick up on all of the projects if even the locals aren't able to?

I agree with you 100% about Brady though, and yes, it is unfortunate that Joe Horn's phone will outshine Mr. X's 300 yard passing day, but pay attention to what happens on these message board when Moss pulls another stunt next year while, that same weekend, Bulger throws for 350 and 4tds...which of those 2 situations is more likely to generate a thread or two on these boards?!? I'm not trying to sound holier than thou...I'll admit that I'd probably be the one starting that Moss thread.

Members online

Latest posts