1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Johnny Jolly Avoids Jail Time...Could Play in 2011

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rodgers_Forever, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Rodgers_Forever

Rodgers_Forever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    This would be a nice surprise, although i still think he's a douche for even getting in this mess.

"In what counts as a major surprise, Packers DE Johnny Jolly will avoid jail time for a 2008 drug possession charge after agreeing to a plea deal with prosecutors.

As part of the deal, his codeine possession charge from late March was dropped altogether. Jolly had been facing up to 20 years in prison for the two charges. Instead, he'll be placed on probation while receiving mandatory drug treatment at a facility in Houston run by former NBA player John Lucas. Jolly remains under indefinite NFL suspension. We wouldn't bank on Commissioner Goodell intervening any time soon, but there's now a chance Jolly will play at some point in 2011."

From Rotoworld.com

2. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    I think this bridge has burned but this ruling gives him a slim chance to play again.

3. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    I feel the say way, however, business is business, and as long as he comes to play(and comes clean), I'd welcome him back with open arms. You can never have enough men in the trenches.

4. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
  5. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    Step 1:
    Get busted for something like 600 grams of codeine.

Step 2:
    Go though a year long court battle to get off with probation.

Step 3:
    Fail multiple drug tests and get caught again for the same aforementioned crime.

Step 4:
    I don't even want to think about what he did for(or to) that judge to get them to drop the charges on the second bust and settle for probation again.

Wow is right my friend.

6. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    My first thought was WTF?

I think the Packers are too much of a classy organization to take a dope head like this back...

To paraphrase Jack Nickleson in "The Shining"..."Goodbye Johnnie!"

7. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    I would be surprised if the Packers don't cut him.

8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    Doesn't he have yet another more recent charge of drug possession to deal with still?

9. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    If they indeed cut him, I foresee your Vikes picking up our scraps once again. In the words of the great Liam Neeson circa "taken", good luck...

10. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    They dropped it, as i mentioned twice above.

11. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    Going from up to 20 years in prison between the two charges to probation...i wish i could live one day of my life with jolly's luck...

12. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +218
    I would say he will receive a multiple game suspension for 2011, but will play - somewhere.

13. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    He's a douche. Don't want him on the Packers.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead Brittany Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +181
    we dont need troublemakers on the team

15. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    Someone on the team needs to give him an intervention. They need to fix him up, he's a stellar player just hangs out with the wrong crowd apparently.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    Thus the reason you dont cut him based on your initial reaction to the news.

17. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Love the talent, hate the distraction.

18. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Hold on folks.

We don't know too much about what went on. Especially with the second arrest. I am shocked by the result here, I would have thought with the reputation that Texas has on being tough on drug crimes, that he would be gone for a long time.

Having the charges thrown out has sent me in another direction on this.

Perhaps the 2nd offense turned out not to be codine afterall?

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but I believe there must be something else going on here.

19. Rodgers_Forever

Ratings:
    +9
    I've been doing a little research, and apparently, this is a somewhat normal legal process in Texas. He is getting 5 years of probation where he can't touch a single drug, nor can he go out to any club/bar. I don't know about you, but if i had to go 5 years without hitting up my local pub, I'd go nuts! Another term is that he isn't allowed contact with his two cousins who were also affiliated with their "drug ring".

It will be a tough road for the jolly green giant, and one that i hope he can find some success with. However, if there's anything I've learned with my short amount of life on this earth, its that people are not prone to change, and i fear history may inevitably repeat itself.

He has the talent, and as packer fans, being the finest group of fans the NFL has ever laid witness to, shouldn't we let the man try and prove he's got his sh!t together? I know I've made more than one mistake in my life, so I'm willing to let him prove his worth in time.

On a side note, I'm not a very religious man, but for those of you who are, don't you have to believe the big J-man upstairs would give him a third chance? Huh, Huh(see where I'm going with this)??

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Trade his *** to Houston, and see how long he lasts down there in his hood.
    Take whatever we can get from Houston, from a 6th or 7th round pick, to some collector's items from NASA, to snack & beverages. Anything.

21. JoshuaRHuffman

Ratings:
    +60
    Too many ifs surrounding this guy. Are we even sure he's still in playing shape? He was suspended for 2010 and might not have training camp this season.

I don't see him being reinstated immediately, either. Roethlisberger had no charges when he earned a six-game suspension that was reduced to four after good behavior. This guy is coming off a season-long suspension and put himself in more bad light. Then again, not sure how the conduct-policy matters will work if infractions occur during the lockout...

Right now, Jolly should be a last resort for the Packers defensive line depth.

22. JoshuaRHuffman

Ratings:
    +60
    They could use a versatile DL in their new 3-4 under Wade Phillips... lol.

23. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    Same.

24. packerstl101

packerstl101 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    i have mixed feelings. i think we should give him another chance, but if it happens again, let him walk

25. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    The team already tried intervention. He was warned to stay away from certain people. Then he was caught with those very people and arrested by the police for substance charges.

He should be cut loose for being a moron and not listening to the organization.