JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Priority add, IMO. An onfield general and a good locker room guy. Watt, Z, Gary and revamped ILB, CB opposite Jaire and this team is good to go.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Intrigued by how much he will be asking for. He makes so much sense on our roster. Honestly our d is probably one ILB and CB away from being really good then.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If this was a "normal" year and we had cap space, I might like to see him become a Packer. Even then, it would have to be at a price that reflects his age and injury history. All that said, I will take a soft pass on a guy that I have loved to watch for his entire career. We have to many other pressing needs to have the luxury of an old superstar, even JJ.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to pontificate but if I had to come up with a top 3 spots for him in no definite order it would be:

Green Bay: Because he's a Wisconsin kid

Dallas: Because in his video he says he loves Texas

Pittsburgh: To play with his brothers

If he is chasing a ring Dallas would be the last place for him to go.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is chasing a ring Dallas would be the last place for him to go.

Dallas with an improved defense is scary. That offense (offensive line aside) has more depth than ours. Dak looked like he had elevated his play last year too. Healthy, with early picks they can use to focus on defense makes them a threat. Think San Fran two years ago. Had a crap year because of injury, got Bosa in the draft and then destroyed us twice. Of course they also have Magic Mike McCarthy, lol.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t believe they released him. Didn’t think they’d do it.

I think there will be interest from both sides, but GB just might not have the money. Would love to see him here. He’s still very good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks clamoring for him have no clue fiscally and roster cuts casualties this would take.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
**Merged 2 threads with same title about same player. [/moderating]

Only way I see him coming to GB is if money on his part doesn't matter, he wants to don the G&G at some point in his career. He might do the same to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh. Otherwise if he wants market value, he plays elsewhere.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think he's realistically be worth in current market?

32 yo having played only 2 full season in past 5 years but had a Top 15 season in 2020-21.

Somewhere around $8m per year for a 2 year contract...Less in guaranteed and more into performance?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt is still one of the top-15 edge defenders in the NFL. He was one of only 2 dlinemen in the entire league to play over 1,000 snaps last year. He's a moderate injury risk but I just don't see any way the Packers can sign him to anything close to a reasonable market contract; Watt would have to take a pretty big discount.

That being said, adding Watt to the dline next to Clark would instantly turn the dline from a weakness to a strength.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**Merged 2 threads with same title about same player. [/moderating]

Only way I see him coming to GB is if money on his part doesn't matter, he wants to don the G&G at some point in his career. He might do the same to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh. Otherwise if he wants market value, he plays elsewhere.

Watt is at the point in his career that his primary motivation is a championship and the Packers would provide a more realistic opportunity than the Steelers and most of the other teams. He’s probably financially secure and with a chance to play for his favorite team growing up and with a good chance at a championship, he’d probably be willing to play for a reasonable deal.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers gained a lot of cap room today with both of the Pouncey brothers retiring.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying it is the same thing but I seem to remember the Packers signing some other 30ish year old washed up defensive player around 2006...
For the right price and structured deal, sure! Won't happen tho. Too many teams willing to overpay it seems. Now if it was JJ six years ago, that's a different Q.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably something similar to the Peppers deal back in the day. Maybe less considering his injury history.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would be awesome if the Packers were able to sign JJ Watt to a reasonable deal nut they don't have the cap space to make it happen and I don't expect him to sign for significantly less than market value to play in Green Bay.

The Steelers gained a lot of cap room today with both of the Pouncey brothers retiring.

The Steelers will save $8 million of cap space by Maurkice retiring. But how do they gain any by Mike joining him as he played for the Chargers last year??? :D

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be awesome if the Packers were able to sign JJ Watt to a reasonable deal nut they don't have the cap space to make it happen and I don't expect him to sign for significantly less than market value to play in Green Bay.

The Steelers will save $8 million of cap space by Maurkice retiring. But how do they gain any by Mike joining him as he played for the Chargers last year??? :D

Yeah, blew that one! I thought I'd read somewhere a while ago that they played together.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The only way I would project JJ Watt to the Packers is if coming home to fight for a ring is more important than money (which is honestly could be for a player of that caliber). Because the Packers will not offer him anything more than a 1 year vet minimum contract.