Jackson to tell his story on Thursday

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the article below, he got upset when he seen how much Pat Williams and Ted Washington got. He also kind of suggested that he's unhappy to make less than some teammates who don't perform as well. Probably meaning Hunt.

I say big deal. The 3-time MVP didn't whine when nobodys like Jake Plummer got a bigger contract when he was with Arizona. Plummer had one winning season at the time at 9-7, while Favre won 3 MVPS and won a SuperBowl and wasn't making as much at the time as Plummer got. Plummer was the 2nd highest paid QB in the league at one time behind Steve Young. I didn't hear Favre whine back then

You sign it, you honor it.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/340738.asp

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've written this before on this site, but I'll say it again. Each franchise has only so much money that they can give to the big money players. Generally the players who get that money get it because they produce. I understand his concern regarding not making much money when players (Hunt) who do make a lot of money don't play to that money. It would frustrate me too. But there is a way to get to that big money, play the game well, shut up, honor your contract, be a team player and the team will reward you accordingly. The truth of the matter is that Grady made a lot of money last year for only playing 38& of the plays. If you break down his contract per play he's probably making really good money. Teams generally don't pay big money to guys with bad character. So Grady, shut up and play the game and you'll be just fine.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's obvious Grady Jackson is a great player, and a very neccesary cog in this D...but the pattern of injuries completely negate a pay raise. thats not even debatable.

hopefully Mr. Martin doesn't let him off the hook after he pleads his case.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mr. Jackson is unhappy because team mates who don't play as well as he does are getting more. Poor guy. As a former teacher who has taught in several school districts, you saw a lot of that. Teachers who came in at the last minute, left just after the kids left, and never took anything home with them. Then, you saw teachers who came early, stayed late, and had homework every or almost every night. Yet, we all got the same amount of pay.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets say both sides stick to their guns...come FA next year, Grady would be a 33 year old, injury prone malcontent who sat out of football for a year?!? Boy, teams are going to be lining up to throw a few mil at that!

Also, Grady asked for $65,000 up front from this contract, which suggests he literally can't afford to miss paychecks. This also binds the Packers hands...they literally can't renegotiate his current contract under the CBA, if I'm not mistaken.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy...from my understanding, they cannot change this year's salary. They can, however, negotiate an extension and add bonus money to him this year as part of overall compensation.

Either way, with all the youngsters coming up in the middle of the DL, do you think the Packers actually planned to keep Grady beyond this season. Personally, I think they plan to go youth next year at that spot.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...yeah, I meant to mention that about the sign bonus, but at least via the current contract, nothing can be done.

You talked about the youth next year...Grady acknowledged that and seemed to be concerned about that in his radio interview yesterday up here in GB. Also, on profootballtalk...according to some scouts, there are doubts as to whether or not Grady would make the team THIS year, regardless of the contract situation.

Drew says you need leverage for a holdout, but Grady seems like he has none...I don't get it!

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
...according to some scouts, there are doubts as to whether or not Grady would make the team THIS year, regardless of the contract situation.

Wow...I'd love to see the names of those scouts. Grady was the best D-lineman on our team last year. Seems to me we are still stuck with the same guys again this year.

Doesn't make any sense.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What gets me is Grady thinks he better then pat williams, sam adams, and ted washington. Thats bullsh#t. If Jackson sits out, he is sitting out on the rest of his career. I think he knows that he is what Bates wants, a big guy to tie up blockers so the LB's can move around. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer obviously.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schmitty said:
What gets me is Grady thinks he better then pat williams, sam adams, and ted washington. Thats bullsh#t. If Jackson sits out, he is sitting out on the rest of his career. I think he knows that he is what Bates wants, a big guy to tie up blockers so the LB's can move around. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer obviously.

I don't know about the other two but Sam Adams is pretty DARN good beer.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say cut him. I mean if this guy thinks hes better then Pat, Ted and Sam then he's messed up in the head. I mean he's important to our d-line but we got younger guys coming up. Plus if you want a big hole stuffer re-sign Gilbert Brown.

Pat Williams
53 tackles, 2.5 sacks
Ted Washington
41 tackles, 3 sacks
Sam Adams
41 tackles, 5 sacks
Grady Jackson
23 tackles, 1 sack

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he holds out the maximum 10 games it costs him over a million dollars.

His salary will not count against cap if he is placed on the did not report list.

If he holds out some one else can fill his roster spot until he comes back.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
If he holds out the maximum 10 games it costs him over a million dollars.
His salary will not count against cap if he is placed on the did not report list.
If he holds out some one else can fill his roster spot until he comes back.
How does that ten game rule thing work??

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did anybody listen to this interview on thursday? anything interesting said? comments? did Mr. Martin call him out or make any decent points? or was it more of a platform for Grady to plead his fledgling case?

tap tap...is this thing on?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts