It's never too early to talk prospects.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wanted to get a thread going about guys we are hoping become Packers in 2014. I for one only want to see offensive line, safety, and wide receiver/tight end drafted. This is unless we let Raji walk.

Here are a few guys in the first round I'd love to see us take:

1.) Mike Evans WR Texas A&M. This guy has great body control and amazing size. He'd be a great compliment to the rest of our receiving core.

2.) Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington. This dude is HUGE 6' 7" 266 with great hands and he's a blocking beast. He's going to be the next Gronk or Graham. I mean if we need a replacement for Finley this guy is a matchup nightmare.

3.) Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee. Currently the 4th ranked offensive tackle in the draft. We might get a shot at him in the first and he could easily bolster the left or right side depending on how David Bakhtiari works out.

I'm still watching a lot more games to get more of an idea what's out there. I really don't know who I'd recommend at C/G or Safety right now, but it seems like there will be good value in the second for those positions.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are quite early with your predictions. But given that Jones is in in a contract year (and he is getting older anyway) a WR early in the draft makes sense. Many of or D-line guys are in their contract year as well, most notably Pickett and Raji. We did draft several DE's in the last drafts, but we still need a solid NT to replace Pickett long term. Another solid guess might be safety, where we could use an upgrade. And well in a 3-4 drafting a linebacker is always an option.

I don't think O-line is a huge need next year. If Bakthiari and Barclay continue to play well, we will have two decent tackles. Buluga will return, and will reclaim the LT spot. Moreover Sherrod an Tretter might return as well. If the BPA is o-lineman we should draft him, but otherwise there is no reason to reach for an o-lineman.

Actually, predicting a draft now is quite impossible, since college season is far from over. Moreover Ted will probably try to draft the best player available, making any pre-draft prediction worthless.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are quite early with your predictions. But given that Jones is in in a contract year (and he is getting older anyway) a WR early in the draft makes sense. Many of or D-line guys are in their contract year as well, most notably Pickett and Raji. We did draft several DE's in the last drafts, but we still need a solid NT to replace Pickett long term. Another solid guess might be safety, where we could use an upgrade. And well in a 3-4 drafting a linebacker is always an option.

I don't think O-line is a huge need next year. If Bakthiari and Barclay continue to play well, we will have two decent tackles. Buluga will return, and will reclaim the LT spot. Moreover Sherrod an Tretter might return as well. If the BPA is o-lineman we should draft him, but otherwise there is no reason to reach for an o-lineman.

Actually, predicting a draft now is quite impossible, since college season is far from over. Moreover Ted will probably try to draft the best player available, making any pre-draft prediction worthless.

It is early, but there are a lot of players that are already impressing me and we can also get a good idea of what this team needs. I disagree that we don't need o-line as its always a good idea to make this line more solid. If we have the chance to draft o-line studs we need to take advantage. You can never have a o-line that is too good if you know what I mean.

You are right that we may need to think about replacing Pickett and possibly Raji. My answer to that would be this giant. Daniel McCullers 6'8"360. The guy just can't be moved and he reminds me of a bigger Gilbert Brown. I've watched him get double teamed only to grab a running back with one arm on many occasions.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

I don't think there is any hope for sherrod, cant beleive they kept him this long. I think he will be to far removed from football even for a young guy. Gotta think, he wont be anywhere close to football conditioning on his leg(s) and that is an anchor point.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is early, but there are a lot of players that are already impressing me and we can also get a good idea of what this team needs. I disagree that we don't need o-line as its always a good idea to make this line more solid. If we have the chance to draft o-line studs we need to take advantage. You can never have a o-line that is too good if you know what I mean.

You are right that we may need to think about replacing Pickett and possibly Raji. My answer to that would be this giant. Daniel McCullers 6'8"360. The guy just can't be moved and he reminds me of a bigger Gilbert Brown. I've watched him get double teamed only to grab a running back with one arm on many occasions.

Let me rephrase that. I don't think we need O-line guys early in the draft (first two/three rounds). We do need O-line depth, but that can be dealt with later. Obviously the O-line is important, so when a O-line stud drops and happens to be the best player available, we should pick him, but otherwise its not a big need.

BTW, the problem with guys that impress, is that their draft stock rises, so they might not be there when we pick in the 1st.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

BTW, the problem with guys that impress, is that their draft stock rises, so they might not be there when we pick in the 1st.
Hard to load up on studs when you are usually in the last 7-8 picks of the first round every year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fiedorowicz is a much more likely option than ASJ for a myriad of reasons.

Tre Boston or the kid from LSU look good for Safeties.

FSU has a good C, but he's going to go high, and we have options in Barclay Bakhtiari and Tretter.

C and S are NOT deep this year. Who you got at ILB?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fiedorowicz is a much more likely option than ASJ for a myriad of reasons.

Tre Boston or the kid from LSU look good for Safeties.

FSU has a good C, but he's going to go high, and we have options in Barclay Bakhtiari and Tretter.

C and S are NOT deep this year. Who you got at ILB?

Fiedorowicz definitely has the size, but he hasn't really been tested as a pass catcher and we already have a big bodied tight end that loves to drop the ball. I guess we'll have to wait and see how he does in some of those scout games at the end of the year.

There's not many people on the defensive side of the ball that are really impressing me so far this year. Let me rephrase that, there aren't many defensive players that would go in the later rounds that are impressing me. The value just isn't there in this draft class yet. I guess we could get Shayne Skov in the later rounds, but I'm curious because he's dropped off from where he was touted last year.

Maybe Borland from Wisconsin, but he's short and isn't the best in pass coverage.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fiedo:

2013 Season

REC/YDS/TD
11/98/2

Career

72/698/6

Though a small sample size, he shows a lot of promise in the passing game. Passes the eye test for me

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to believe in Fiedorowicz and no one can argue with his measurables. On paper he looks exactly like Gronk. As far as Dix... meh. We need a SS who can tackle and play coverage. I'm not seeing that in Dix. Not as dominant as people say, plus he's had some off the field issues.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I want to believe in Fiedorowicz and no one can argue with his measurables. On paper he looks exactly like Gronk. As far as Dix... meh. We need a SS who can tackle and play coverage. I'm not seeing that in Dix. Not as dominant as people say, plus he's had some off the field issues.
The bold is the only thing in this post I disagree with. I've had it up to my ears dealing with SS. Burnett needs at least a similar player to himself to flourish, preferably a true rangy FS. I could care less about a SS, get the mop out of Burnett's hand.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys know about Eric Ebron, Christian Jones, and Demarcus Lawrence?

I really don't follow college football, so I'm just throwing out some names I've come across.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What do you guys know about Eric Ebron, Christian Jones, and Demarcus Lawrence?

I really don't follow college football, so I'm just throwing out some names I've come across.
Ebron is Finley. Plain and simple.
Depends on which Christian Jones.
Not sure Lawrence will transition well to our system, but a nice player none the less.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think the suspension won't drop him out of the second round and he projects to ILB in our system. He needs to gain weight, we have enough small WILB.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Desir, Roby, Exum, Fuller, Joyner, Benwikere, Jean-Baptiste, Colvin are all CB/S prospects, and you can probably add Verrett and the UFL boys.

Brooks, Pryor, Huff, Zimmerman, and Boston I like at FS.

Bucannon, Ladler, Dixon, Lewis, Smith, Reynolds, and Parker are my SS. Maybe Bailey.

Mosley, Perryman, Smallwood, Johnson at ILB. If Jones and Barrow can gain the weight, I also like them, though I hear Jones needs to be more stout at POA. I want to like Borland, but I don’t know. Maybe Van Noy or Shazier…

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The ND boys could both pull NT. Hageman would probably be best served at DE. D’Quan Jones, Carrethers, Gaston, and Allen I like. Coleman, McCullers, and Stephen are interesting too. Will Sutton would have a lot of weight to gain.

Shembo, Ndiaye, Gayle, Reilly, Attaochu, Martin, Crichton, Bradford, Jeffcoat, Sutton, and Chris Smith for OLB.

Sefarian-Jenkins, Fiedorowicz, Lynch, Jensen, Rodgers, Pederson, Murphy, and Bolser at TE.

Members online

Latest posts