Is Wade Phillips a token interview?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I hope so. I know Sherman was accused of cronyism, but I really hope TT is giving this guy an interview as a favor to an old friend. I'm sure everyone knows Thompson has been friends with Bum and Wade Phillips for 30 years. Sometimes it's hard tio say no to your friends but I hope TT doesn't give in to the cronyism that some of you guys dislike so much. I don't have a problem with guys hiring the guys they are familiar with and have worked with in the past but I don't think Phillips would be an upgrade here.

For the record, Phillips is 47-36 I believe as head coach and 0-2 in the playoffs. Doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. What do you guys think of him?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of Phillips. Eric Mangini is in play...has an interview with the Jets coming up. Would like him alot!

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs Mangini is interesting. You gotta love a guy that has worked with Belichek the past 8-10 years, 3 of them with Parcells, but does that guarantee success? He is only 34 years old and has been a coordinator for only one year. If he didn't coach with Belichek and Parcells his resume' wouldn't look so good. Having said all that, he is a rising star in the league and given the chance, I would take a "flyer" on the guy. His upside is enormous.

In my opinion he would be nuts to take the Jets job. They have had 3-4 coaches quit on them the past 5 years or so, including Belichek. My guess is Belichek advises him against taking the Jets job and holding out for another one. Remember how Belichek wanted out of NY without even coaching a game. At 34 Mangini can wait. He can pick and choose the best situation for himself. Who knows....maybe it will be in Green Bay.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mangini has developed successful players at every level he's coached. If it's not Rivera or Bates, I'd love to see him get a shot. What I heard on Total Access last night is that the "hot" candidates are really failing to impress in their interviews.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really like Teddy up to this point but I' willing to give him the benefit of the doubt maybe even for a couple of years, but if he hires Phillips I will withdraw my "benefit of the doubt".
I will truly be pissed as that will not be an upgrade from Mike Sherman.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On this matter, two yoopers think alike. I would also withdraw my "benefit of the doubt" if Thompson hired Wade Phillips. The fact that Thompson is even interviewing this guy is disturbing to me. My impression of Phillips as a head coach is that he was kind of an oaf.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Phillips is hired Harlan needs to step in and say he "made a mistake" and can TT. This would be worse than the MS/Rossley man crush.

Duves

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering why we did not interview Cam Cameron the OC of the Bolts. That offensive program has turned around nicely the past few years. He could have flown in with Wade and waited for that interview to finish, then had his couple hour meeting with Ted.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it's just a case of Thompson leaving no stone unturned and being thorough in interviewing as many candidates as possible just to be sure he isn't missing anyone. Because I don't want guys like Phillips or Tice either. If he did start hiring people based on friendships instead of qualifications, we are in trouble.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my boy ted. He said hes going to tell me some info so the rest of the fan base won't have to wade out the decision that our beloved packers fate lies on bates plate.

Members online

Latest posts