Interesting facts on the INT record

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Peter King's SI column:

Column Here

Fun facts about the all-time interception co-leader, George Blanda, and the man who just tied Blanda's career record of 277 interceptions:

• Blanda threw 277 interceptions in 4,077 career passes. Favre has 277 interceptions in 8,433 attempts.

• Blanda played in an era where the interception was a way of life in the old AFL. Imagine this: In 1962, he threw one interception per each 9.95 attempts -- 42 picks in 418 throws. In Favre's worst interception year, 2005, he threw one interception each 20.93 throws -- 29 in 607 attempts.

• Blanda played in four decades (1949-75) and over six presidential administrations -- Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Ford -- and he was only a year from playing after a seventh president, Jimmy Carter, was elected.

• Blanda's career touchdown-to-interception ratio was minus-41. Favre is now plus-146.

• Blanda's career completion percentage: .477. Favre's: .612.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find comfort in numbers. In Favre's prime back in '97, he threw 35 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. He had in the ball bark of 3,800 yards and he had a QB rating of 92.6. Now, he also had 513 passing attempts. When you do the math, that's one interception for every 32.1 passes.

So far this year, Favre has thrown the ball 210 times this year... only Brees comes close in passing attempts per game (keep in mind the Saints have had a bye week). Favre has 9 TDs and 4 Interceptions (one of the picks being the hail mary to end the game last night... just saying). That's 52.5 passing attempts per interception.

Is anyone following that??? Anyone??? This year, he throws an interception once every 52 passes. Favre's best season, in '95 (huge passing TDs, yards, only 13 interceptions) his average was one interception for every 43 passes. As far as "efficiency", Favre is having one of his best season. He's completing 67% of his passes, and for the most part, he's limiting his mistakes.

Elway's career average: 32.1 passes per interception (226 interceptions in 7,250 passing attempts)

Marino's career average: 33.17 passes per interception (252 interceptions in 8,358 attempts)

Favre's career average: 30.48 passes per interception (277 in 8,443)

Simply put, if Marino and Elway played longer and passed the ball more they'd have in the same ball park of interceptions that Favre does. It's easy to get swept up in the ****storm and talk about all the interceptions he throws... but he's on pace with two of the best in history.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No love? I spent a while compiling those stats.

:(

awesome find on your part, it is very interesting to see how he compares to a while ago..Would never had guessed!

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's getting tiresome to hear the talking heads and generally ignorant fans mock Favre's interception record. Big rewards, like all the records he's been setting, come with big risks. In baseball, home run hitters tend to strike out a lot. A quick trip to mlb.com will yield interesting stats on the all-time strikeout leaders. Reggie Jackson is the all-time strikeout king with more than 2500, although Sammy Sosa is catching up. Barry Bonds has more than 1500 strikeouts, more than Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth (each with more than 1300). Who's mocking them? Nobody. We just remember the towering shots that won games and electrified crowds. And none of those home run kings had to face 300-lb gorillas on every play. Brett's human and makes mistakes. He's also one of the all-time NFL greats and we're lucky he's on our side.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I mentioned that comparison on another forum and just got laughed at. I haven't looked at stats, but I am sure Jordan probably had a lot of turnovers in the NBA too, it just comes with the territory of being your team's playmaker, and the big star who every opposing defense wants to bring down to be the hero of the day. The thing is, they can sack Brett, or pick him off, but he will bounce back with a huge play, and nobody will remember the pick's, but you can't take the superbowl appearances and MVP's from Brett Favre, he's a legend for Packer fans, and everyone who is backing Manning and Brady, those guys are in their prime, let's see how good they are later on in their career.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a list of all-time great QBs, and the interceptions they threw per number of passing attempts.

Brett Favre- 30.4 attempts
Dan Marino- 33.2 attempts
John Elway- 32.1
Joe Montana- 38.8
Steve Young- 38.8
Johnny Unitas- 20.5
Fran Tarkenton- 24.3
Troy Aikman- 33.4
Jim Kelly- 27.3
Warren Moon- 29.3
Dan Fouts- 23.1
Sonny Jurgenson- 22.6
Ron Jaworski- 25.1
George Blanda- 14.5
Terry Bradshaw- 18.6
Y.A. Tittle- 17.3
Kenny Stabler- 17.1
Joe Namath- 17.1
Vinny Testaverde- 25
Lenny Dawson- 22.4
Jim Plunkett- 18.7
Archie Manning- 21
Joe Theismann- 26
Dave Krieg- 26.7
Boomer Esiason- 28.3
Jim Hart- 20.6
John Hadl- 17.5
Phil Simms- 29.6
Roman Gabriel- 30.2
John Brodie- 20
Kenny Anderson- 28
Randall Cunningham- 32

Tom Brady- 40.3
Peyton Manning- 35.9
Carson Palmer- 33.1

So... guys like Montana, Young, Brady and Manning have done an excellent job in regards to this stat. Marino, Elway, Aikman... all close. Favre doesn't look too shabby. But... the Johnny U's of the world... wow. Granted they played in another era so things were a bit different. Bradshaw? Eww.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the stats.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats are fun to look at. And i have to admit, when i saw that Favre threw twice as many passes as Blanda to get the same amount of INT's, i was surprised. Just the number alone doesn't tell the story.
How many touchdowns did Blanda throw in his career? I haven't seen that listed yet. It would be interesting to see that number.

Also........Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls, and that is the most important stat in the end. Marino has ZERO, and will always be remembered for that stat.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats are fun to look at. And i have to admit, when i saw that Favre threw twice as many passes as Blanda to get the same amount of INT's, i was surprised. Just the number alone doesn't tell the story.
How many touchdowns did Blanda throw in his career? I haven't seen that listed yet. It would be interesting to see that number.

Also........Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls, and that is the most important stat in the end. Marino has ZERO, and will always be remembered for that stat.
Blanda had 236 TD passes in his 75 year career. Heh.

And about Marino... I agree that the stat that is most remembered is the Super Bowl. Nonetheless, Marino's greatest teams were at best about as half as good as Bradshaw's. Never had a great defense... and as we well know, the Steel Curtain was a GREAT defense: "Mean" Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, L.C. Greenwood, and the list goes on. Marino never had the likes of John Stalworth or Lynn Swann. Marino never had Franco Harris in the backfield.

Bradshaw has the rings, but Marino is incontrovertibly the better QB. Heck, Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien have more Super Bowls (1 each) than Marino. It doesn't mean THAT much.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Blanda had 236 TD passes in his 75 year career. Heh.

And about Marino... I agree that the stat that is most remembered is the Super Bowl. Nonetheless, Marino's greatest teams were at best about as half as good as Bradshaw's. Never had a great defense... and as we well know, the Steel Curtain was a GREAT defense: "Mean" Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, L.C. Greenwood, and the list goes on. Marino never had the likes of John Stalworth or Lynn Swann. Marino never had Franco Harris in the backfield.

Bradshaw has the rings, but Marino is incontrovertibly the better QB. Heck, Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien have more Super Bowls (1 each) than Marino. It doesn't mean THAT much.
Thanks Evad04!
I was in no way saying Bradshaw was a better QB then Marino. I maybe didn't make it very clear. I agree 100% Bradshaw had a complete team that made it possible for the 4 SB's. All i meant was that the SB stat is the REALLY huge one. Had Bradshaws team not won the 4, maybe he wouldn't be in the HOF. His stats were in NO way compareable to Marino head to head.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the INT record but right now Favre is leading the league in Yards.

he has 1527 if he keeps up this rate he will have 4887 at the end of the season. He only needs 3885 yards this season I think it was to break Marino.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
numbers to me mean nothing. What is George Blanda remembered for? interceptions. What will Brett Favre be remembered for? The list is endless. Bottom line numbers are just that ... numbers.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
numbers to me mean nothing. What is George Blanda remembered for? interceptions. What will Brett Favre be remembered for? The list is endless. Bottom line numbers are just that ... numbers.
The numbers to which you care so little for don't indict Favre at all... they back him up. He doesn't throw a ton of interceptions relative to his passing attempts. All-time greats, like Johnny Unitas, threw FAR more interceptions per passing attempt.

It's meant to be interesting and add depth to the discussion. That's all.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Really? I always remembered Blanda as a the guy who played in four different decades.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts