I am so tired!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so tired of TT. I'm not saying he needs to be fired but his act is getting old. I just don't understand how he can be so aware of this teams issues and just sit by and really do nothing other than resigning the same players. Yes, he method has worked but he is wasting AR's years. I cant help but think that he is just hoping that we catch lightning in a bottle and win so he can have further proof that his method works. I'm not saying that he needs to make a big splash but he could have signed at least a TE in free agency even if it was just for a year or two while Backman develops or pick up an veteran ILB for the short term while a draft pick (Smith from ND) recovers during the season. I don't know, maybe it just frustration! I really shouldn't be surprised, we go through this every year!

Thoughts!!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind we have signed what most would consider to be several of the best free agents vs money spent under ted thompson in the last 10 years. Meanwhile the "splash" players others wanted wasted a LOT of other teams cap space.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its not so much that I have certain players in mind, its that his philosophy is draft and develop which is fine, i have no issue with that. How long has he been the GM now? He has drafted and developed a lot of players thus far and has sprinkled in a FA every once in a while. The drafting and developing has gotten 1 super bowl trophy thus far but yet he maintains the same players pretty much every year all while drafting and developing more each year during the draft. There is still a lot of our own FA still unsigned, my guess is that he will re- sign at least 3-4 of those guys and then fill out the roster during the draft and signing UDFA's. It just seems like a constant cycle.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lane Taylor isnt what I had in mind.
Im ok with where GB is. But it would be nice to have a new stud to add to the mix.

Still looking for Raji, Perry, and Neal to get resigned. that would be sweet.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its not so much that I have certain players in mind, its that his philosophy is draft and develop which is fine, i have no issue with that. How long has he been the GM now? He has drafted and developed a lot of players thus far and has sprinkled in a FA every once in a while. The drafting and developing has gotten 1 super bowl trophy thus far but yet he maintains the same players pretty much every year all while drafting and developing more each year during the draft. There is still a lot of our own FA still unsigned, my guess is that he will re- sign at least 3-4 of those guys and then fill out the roster during the draft and signing UDFA's. It just seems like a constant cycle.

I don't disagree with you because I do think he should address certain needs through some free agents. But not ones that will break the bank. He is a bit too stubborn.
Although, Jaguars, Raiders, Dolphins, etc... Keep adding big names in free agency and what has that gotten them?
I think he should get position needs to help develope some of the young guys and guys who have NFL experience. But as long as it's not an aggressive contract.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is annoying is hearing that "We might shock you this year" with regards to free agency. There is little they could do now that would be shocking, unless they consider signing a few no-names via free agency as such. Which wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

What I don't understand is that he does not want to overpay for free agency, but he overpays to keep his own guys (Shields, Cobb, Daniels, etc.). It's great that we have a culture in which players are willing to stay for a pay cut compared to what the desperate teams are willing to give them, but I'm not sure these guys are entirely worth their paychecks either.

For good players, you're going to eventually have to overpay. And if we have to give up a Cobb in order to bring in a guy like Trevathan in the future who fills an even bigger hole, that's just the nature of the business.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has there ever been one of our FA's that was snatched up right away during Free Agency? I don't recall, i could be wrong. They always seem to make it back to TT

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guys who will help us, both on the field and in the wallet, are not day 1 additions. Forte was always a dream, and not a great one imo. Same with bennett, who is from all notions a locker room cancer.

There are still plenty of helpful additions at te, including Owen daniels, donnell, and jarred cook.

There are lots of ilb that can still help us like demario Davis.

Point being... patience is why we are always in the mix for the sb.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is annoying is hearing that "We might shock you this year" with regards to free agency. There is little they could do now that would be shocking, unless they consider signing a few no-names via free agency as such. Which wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

What I don't understand is that he does not want to overpay for free agency, but he overpays to keep his own guys (Shields, Cobb, Daniels, etc.). It's great that we have a culture in which players are willing to stay for a pay cut compared to what the desperate teams are willing to give them, but I'm not sure these guys are entirely worth their paychecks either.

For good players, you're going to eventually have to overpay. And if we have to give up a Cobb in order to bring in a guy like Trevathan in the future who fills an even bigger hole, that's just the nature of the business.
According to Rapoport, Trevathan got 4 years, 28 mil.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a horrible example and imo a great signing. He is still extraordinarily young, and talented. He is by no means underpaid, but also not overpaid. I would prefer a Cobb to a wallace, who WAS truly overpaid. As a day 1 free agent signing at wr

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other not so talked about free agent issue is a pretty big one:

While we all mostly dream of living and playing for our beloved packers in the great Green Bay, WI., believe it or not, these 24-34 year old guys with a boatload of money may not enjoy eating at Angelinas Italian restaurant in vibrant downtown green Bay every week with their wife, when they get a similar offer in even a crap hole like Detroit or another large city like a KC or hell, Even a Cleveland when talking area proximity.

That's if you exclude much more money from a crap team, or a similar deal from a great city like ny, mia, dal, sf, or sd.

Like it or not, free agency is not like madden, and isn't worked in a vacuum. It's a 2 way contract. We have the advantage of offering players a real chance at winning and stability, with the tradeoffs listed above. Not all 25 year Olds care about winning more than girls and money.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a horrible example and imo a great signing. He is still extraordinarily young, and talented. He is by no means underpaid, but also not overpaid. I would prefer a Cobb to a wallace, who WAS truly overpaid. As a day 1 free agent signing at wr
I really like Cobb, but when you compare him to Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, or even Jordy, guys who cost less and have proven they can succeed with average QBs let alone good ones, his contract seems like a reach.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a large reach. We kept him at 24 (now25) on the upswing at a small amount of money. Decker is injury prone and no Cobb at this stage regardless of money. Marshall is a locker room headache as well, and 6 years older. Jordy deserved more, and gave us a discount vs his free market value, but who can really say he also wouldn't have struggled with the type of coverage Cobb got this year with very little other threats opposite him catching the ball.

Cobb struggled for certain this year. Also cannot be viewed in a bubble or as simplistically as mentioned above

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte said at the Super Bowl that he has plenty of money and wants to play for a Super Bowl. That was clearly a lie. I don't see the Jets as a Super Bowl contender at the moment. I'm sure he had to get at least 5 mil per year seeing that Chris Ivory got around 6 mil and Doug Martin got a bit over 7 mil

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And here comes the annual fan freakout.

It's literally been less than a day of free agency. You're acting like it's already over.

Plus, looking a Malik Jackson's 6 years $90 million deal and Olivier Vernon's completely insane $85 million with $52.5 million guaranteed (more than Watt), we locked up Daniels for a VERY good deal at $42 for 4 years. Daniels would have been one of the best defensive players on the market.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other not so talked about free agent issue is a pretty big one:

While we all mostly dream of living and playing for our beloved packers in the great Green Bay, WI., believe it or not, these 24-34 year old guys with a boatload of money may not enjoy eating at Angelinas Italian restaurant in vibrant downtown green Bay every week with their wife, when they get a similar offer in even a crap hole like Detroit or another large city like a KC or hell, Even a Cleveland when talking area proximity.

That's if you exclude much more money from a crap team, or a similar deal from a great city like ny, mia, dal, sf, or sd.

Like it or not, free agency is not like madden, and isn't worked in a vacuum. It's a 2 way contract. We have the advantage of offering players a real chance at winning and stability, with the tradeoffs listed above. Not all 25 year Olds care about winning more than girls and money.
Admittedly, I've never been to GB, or Wisconson in general. If we are trying to get somebody like TO who enjoys the spotlight and benefits his fame entails, that is unlikely. However, I do think we have quite a bit of pull for players who want to win, given that we have historically great QB and franchise.

My philosophy is that if a player values money over a chance to be a part of something great (while still being paid an extraordinary amount of money), he's not a guy that I would want on my team. It would just be reassuring to know that they were trying. If Thompson made a statement about the guys that they made offers to like Elway did with Osweiller, then I would have no problem. There's no shame in avoiding a bloated contract if it benefits the rest of the team. TT just seems so distant from the fans that we get the impression that he is a stubborn control freak who cherishes that 95% figure which represents of the team that he drafted rather than putting together a complete roster.

On another note, a ton of excellent players come from the south, who are accustomed to their small college towns and homes. A market such as Chicago or New York would simply be too overwhelming and stressful for a lot of these young men to handle. Not arguing with you as you are absolutely correct, but there is some advantage to many great players coming from the slums.

Not a large reach. We kept him at 24 (now25) on the upswing at a small amount of money. Decker is injury prone and no Cobb at this stage regardless of money. Marshall is a locker room headache as well, and 6 years older. Jordy deserved more, and gave us a discount vs his free market value, but who can really say he also wouldn't have struggled with the type of coverage Cobb got this year with very little other threats opposite him catching the ball.

Cobb struggled for certain this year. Also cannot be viewed in a bubble or as simplistically as mentioned above

I'm not sure what supports your claim that Decker is injury prone, considering he has missed a total of 2 games since 2012 and has been under 1,000 yards receiving once, when Geno Smith was the starting QB and he was only 38 yards away from that mark. Cobb has been injured more and less productive.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Daniels is not overpaid at all compared to deals made today.

Shields deal is also getting better as more FAs sign. Jenkins just got much more and is nowhere near as good. Shields also played like one of the best in the league late in the year. The difference with him off the field was huge.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reasonable deal TT should have considered today was for Danny Trevathan. Everything else was way too much.

As far as we know, TT could have been involved and he just didn't want to come to Green Bay.

I'm certainly not going to be mad that TT didn't spend like nuts today.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have yet to see a fan who complains about TT wasting Rodgers' years explain how TT has made Rodgers play poorly during playoff loses recently.

I'll assume this attempt will just get ignored again since it doesn't fit with blaming the losses all on TT.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers played poorly during the playoffs. How many times can we say that Rodgers played poorly in the playoffs? How many of AR's years have been wasting already?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reasonable deal TT should have considered today was for Danny Trevathan. Everything else was way too much.

As far as we know, TT could have been involved and he just didn't want to come to Green Bay.

I'm certainly not going to be mad that TT didn't spend like nuts today.
I personally think players not wanting to come to green bay is more of a problem than we realize. Not because of the team but because they simply do not want live in green bay

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers played poorly during the playoffs. How many times can we say that Rodgers played poorly in the playoffs? How many of AR's years have been wasting already?

Two years in a row he played poorly.. Vs Seattle and Arizona... Yes pulled a miracle but he was partial to blame in HAVING to pull that miracle.

Injuries yes, calf and knee last year.. but still not his normal self...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Every year it's the same...

But I recall a while back.. Same type of complaints.. specifically complaining laver Arrington was available and posters screaming Ted was doing nothing... When in fact lavar was in the building at the same time people *****ing.. he went to NY to play against his former redskins...

Or Adam Vinatieri.... Had a deal (with Ted gone) that would paid him more than indy paid him... But he wanted the dome..

So relax, unless you know exactly what's going on, you can't say with 100% certainty what the Pack are doing

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thoughts!!
My thought is your posts are contradictory saying Thompson's method works but he wasting Rodgers years. And your posts imply the free agency period is over: "I'm not saying that he needs to make a big splash but he could have signed at least a TE in free agency even if it was just for a year or two ..." You realize that can still happen, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts