How do we keep AP from running wild in our secondary?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We needed another thread why?

Merged. Please report the thread that needs to be merged in case us mods don't see it. We don't need two threads on the same topic regarding AP.

My thoughts on AP. I think there is a very real possibility that he can break the record while the Vikings still lose the game. I've noticed some of the Vikings fans seem more concerned with AP breaking the record than the Vikings making the playoffs. AP is good, one of the best in the league. If he senses this is the last game of the season for him to break that record look for him to come out blazing. Our D will be ready for him but I'm going with AP breaking the record and the Vikings still losing the game and missing the playoffs.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merged. Please report the thread that needs to be merged in case us mods don't see it. We don't need two threads on the same topic regarding AP.

My thoughts on AP. I think there is a very real possibility that he can break the record while the Vikings still lose the game. I've noticed some of the Vikings fans seem more concerned with AP breaking the record than the Vikings making the playoffs. AP is good, one of the best in the league. If he senses this is the last game of the season for him to break that record look for him to come out blazing. Our D will be ready for him but I'm going with AP breaking the record and the Vikings still losing the game and missing the playoffs.

Not sure how to report things on my phone from the mobile tapatalk app.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good question. You might want to post it in the forum feedback and suggestions or I could do it for you? I'm sure this is an issue affecting everyone using tapatalk.

I try but when I report it gives me an error message. I will post about it. Thank you

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Jim Brown was the hardest hitter of all time. That guy was a beast. He would literally carry defenders on his back. He was the original Superman. Never saw anyone since that is close to his equal.

That's because back when Jim Brown was playing the average defensive tackle was smaller than he was. You don't see that anymore because of how much more big and athletic players are. Your average defensive tackle these days weighs 80lbs more than the average running back.

we will agree to disagree.

I have to agree as well. Earl was almost a pure power downhill runner. He has some speed and a few moves but nobody ran harder than he did. Even Joe Green was terrified of Campbell.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stack the line (keep an extra linebacker or lineman on the field), bracket Kyle Rudolph and let Christian Ponder beat you. This might be a game where Sam Shields only plays around 20-25 snaps (due to his tackling).

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting a lead is the best way to keep AP from taking over the game. Gang tackling is the best way to stop the him from taking it to the house. If you can keep AP from running north and south and getting into the second level of the D, it helps because when he gets to the secondary he's just about impossible to handle. One thing the Packers can do is punch at the football after AP is wrapped up. He's been known to put the ball on the ground on occasion. Make him focus on ball security instead of looking for wholes in the defense. I believe AP can be frustrated into having a poor game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we saw last time we played them, ponder is the key. AP can run wild like its hulkamania 1992, but it won't matter if ponder turns the ball over and plays like we know he should. They win when he plays well, not when AP plays well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stack the line (keep an extra linebacker or lineman on the field), bracket Kyle Rudolph and let Christian Ponder beat you. This might be a game where Sam Shields only plays around 20-25 snaps (due to his tackling).
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-defense/077d51d0-5eb8-431d-8b26-22ac48ffeb76
Shields’ improved tackling is the real story, however, because it allows Capers to keep Shields on the field and not worry about teams running at him.
“I think we have the fewest missed tackles of any team in the league,” Cornerbacks Coach Joe Whitt said. “Sam Shields is the one I’m most pleased with. His physicality has totally changed. He was challenged in that area.”

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
As we saw last time we played them, ponder is the key. AP can run wild like its hulkamania 1992, but it won't matter if ponder turns the ball over and plays like we know he should. They win when he plays well, not when AP plays well.
Absolutely true, There's an article on Packers . com that say as much. I actually expect our defense to have a lot of the same plays it did against the Texans.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Having Clay back will help a great deal. He makes the whole defense better. AP will still likely get 100+ yards against us, but that alone isn't going to be enough. AP makes them very, very dangerous. Ponder makes them very, very beatable.

Yuppers...I was just thinking that with Clay there it will be different...

He was there for the Texans game and Foster didn't do anything at all

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can get up on them quick enough they might run less to try and play catch up, which would work in our favor since Ponder seems to find our defense better han his own team. Mostly just glad Clay and a few other guys are back so he should be slowed down.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When tackling him just grab a leg and hang on until he goes down. He might drag the guy for a bit but it will finish his groin/abdominal area off.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because back when Jim Brown was playing the average defensive tackle was smaller than he was. You don't see that anymore because of how much more big and athletic players are. Your average defensive tackle these days weighs 80lbs more than the average running back.
I doubt you saw Jim Brown play much. Regardless of the size of the opposition he punished people. He makes # 2 on this list. I will respectively disagree with you on this point.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...unning-backs-to-tackle-in-nfl-history/page/21

Members online

Latest posts