How are we defending Megatron?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one guy outside of Adrian Peterson that scares me is Calvin Johnson. Tramon used to do alright against him but Tramon is struggling staying with average wr's nowadays. If he's not holding he's giving up a catch it seems. I'm almost ready to say let House get physical with him at the line and of course put help over the top but hey i'm not the guy calling the shots. We can't afford to let him have a big game so you have to do whatever it takes to keep him in check.

My biggest concern is the lack of pass rush. Hopefully they show up this week and we can finally win a game going away..tiered of biting off my fingernails.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're crazy if you think going man to man with him is an option.

Capers has had his issues but he has had mixed results with megaton.

Hopefully this isn't like the last time Flynn played in Detroit

NY06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best way to defend Megatron is to get to Stafford. The WR can't make plays when his QB is on the ground.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a reason why Capers does not call more man coverage. I am guessing the reason is because he knows are defensive backs are woefully inadequate in man coverage. At least that is my speculation since we are constantly being burned in zone coverage yet we hardly ever try man coverage.

And by that logic if we play man against Johnson the end results would not be pretty. Of course zone coverage against Johnson will not be good either, as mentioned above, the best way to defend him is to be in Stafford's face as much as possible.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well......they have more than just megatron, you find a way to take him off his game and bush/pettigrew/furia...they can also burn our bottoms.

Beat up stafford often. he too can be a pick producing machine if the right pressure is added.

H

HardRightEdge

High/low zone double team on that side would seem to be the ticket. We've used it before against him with some success. Williams should be able to do that (he's the best zone DB we have, sorry to say). Johnson won't beat us with underneath stuff.

I'd be more concerned if they work him a lot out of the slot. I don't think we have anybody who can handle him one-on-one there, and our middle-of-the-field zone coverages, intermediate and long, have looked pretty confused lately. Maybe House in man press when he goes slot as you suggest and we take our chances. Hyde is neither quick enough (see Cruz, first half) nor big enough for this particular job.

It occurs to me that our best middle-of-the-field zone players last year were Heyward and Woodson, which might go toward explaining a few things.

H

HardRightEdge

I think there is a reason why Capers does not call more man coverage. I am guessing the reason is because he knows are defensive backs are woefully inadequate in man coverage. At least that is my speculation since we are constantly being burned in zone coverage yet we hardly ever try man coverage.

And by that logic if we play man against Johnson the end results would not be pretty. Of course zone coverage against Johnson will not be good either, as mentioned above, the best way to defend him is to be in Stafford's face as much as possible.

I don't think that's quite right. Capers always ranks in the top 10 in the league in blitz frequency, usually in the top 5. We probably rush 6 as often as anybody. That's man coverage when it happens and we run into problems there because our safety play has been deficient.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't think that's quite right. Capers always ranks in the top 10 in the league in blitz frequency, usually in the top 5. We probably rush 6 as often as anybody. That's man coverage when it happens and we run into problems there because our safety play has been deficient.

True, but is most cases their 4 beats our 6 and we still get burned. Seen that all to often.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why worry?
I'm sure our top-notch defense....
Oh yeah.
That's right.
OK. Go ahead and worry.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does this, then how are they going to tackle him?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with someone who said to get to Stafford........if you get in his face early and often, he becomes "Cutleresque" and will turn the ball over....if you don't, he can just throw the ball any place close to the zip code of Megatron, and Megatron will win that battle 9 out of 10 times.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We also need to take advantage if Stafford makes those mistakes.

Too many times this year we see a bad throw forced only for it to bounce harmlessly off the hands of one of our defensive backs. Simplistic as it may sound, the biggest reason we're not forcing turnovers on defense this year is because we're not making the plays.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
we have had the opportunity for many added INT's, only to have them slip through the hands of our defenders....Like you said adam, they seem to bounce off of our guys this year.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

"Hello Detroit Lions office? Yeah, I would like to volunteer to be a waterboy for the upcoming game against the Packers on Thanksgiving.
No. I'm not from Wisconsin. Why do you ask?"
I could pull that off, AND I`m off work this week.....:laugh:. They`d never guess

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That accent might build some suspisions.....just because you are british does not make you james bond 007......or does it....what kind of car do you drive? lol
Less suspicion than yours....lol AND I`ve read "Paper Lion", which I could bluff them with :D. I`ll get my dinner Jacket from out of the Pawn shop.

H

HardRightEdge

I was just saying that even if we do send 6 guys, their 4 is normally more than enough to give the QB time.....no matter how often we blitz according to the stats.....does not seem to hit home more often than not. That's all....
Note I wasn't judging the success of our blitz/man, only that it happens with some frequency. OK, I was judging, and I happened to agree with what you said.

Members online

Latest posts