How about giving some credit where it's due?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Giants game, there was so much blame and finger pointing on this forum. Instead, look at the game again. You will notice that it wasn't necessarily us looking like crap, but Coughlin had our number. He knew what we were going to do before we did it. He knew when we were going to run. He knew when we were going to pass.

Coughlin was on. He's one heck of a coach. I thought we had the best coach in the NFL but Coughlin simply outcoached us.

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, Eli looked great. It wasn't so much Harris getting beaten, but Eli putting the ball exactly where only his WR can catch it or it will go incomplete. Harris didn't have a play on any of those balls. If you're a DB and the QB keeps throwing like that, pretty much all you can do is tackle the WR after he catches it (or get a pass interference penalty).

After losing a game, a good sport shakes the person's hand and congratulates them. Instead, there was a lot of finger pointing here. The Giants beat us. Instead of pointing fingers, let's give our opponents some credit.

We do need to find what went wrong though so we can improve next year. We need to run better in cold weather. 28 yards rushing is not acceptable. It wasn't Grant's fault. He was taking his first hit at or behind the line of scrimmage all day long. It's hard to get footing if it's that cold and you're taking hits before you can get your burst.

We beat the Seahawks because both aspects of our offense were clicking. Grant had 200+ yards, and Favre threw for 3 TDs. The Seahawks couldn't stop us.

The Giants however did, shutting down both phases of our O. They shut down our running game completely, and for passing, they gave Favre nothing to work with. They took Jennings and our other WRs out of the game and only really made one mistake, which Favre and Driver exploited. Notice after that, they didn't give Favre the deep ball any more. They adjusted accordingly.

So now that the game is over, I'd like to see us improving a few positions, mostly OL, DB, and I'd like to see some depth at TE. As for the Giants, good game and congratulations. I hope Coughlin can work his magic against the Pats and bring the Lombardi back to the NFC. Next year, it will be us beating winning in the CG and us hoisting the Lombardi Trophy up in the air. :cool:

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They really did outplay us on all 3 aspects of the game. They deserved the win and we did not.

But a close loss like this really puts it into perspective. When we are almost at our worst, we still are in the game. I like that and I hope we continue this great run next season too.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know...but dammit....

I want the Packers to be in the SB....

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were outplayed, and outcoached, plain and simple.
Hopefully it won't happen again.
It just sucks to be SO close, and not get it done. These chances don't come around very often, and we BLEW it.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didnt blow it Cheesey......Sometimes there are games that cant be won no matter how much you prepare. Zombie is right.....they were beaten on both sides of the ball. It wasnt lack of prep like Dallas, who thought they could just show up and beat NYG.
I'm sure MM took them very seriously........The only mistake I see and I said it earlier, when Tynes lined up for the last FG..........MM should have called a TO to ice him, which he didon one of the other kicks. The guy had missed the previous 2, 1 which would have put his team in the SB, and this was going to be the most important kick he ever attempted........I'd have made him think about it a little more.
GB didnt lose that game.........they just got beat and sometimes that's the only explanation there is.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didnt blow it Cheesey......Sometimes there are games that cant be won no matter how much you prepare. Zombie is right.....they were beaten on both sides of the ball. It wasnt lack of prep like Dallas, who thought they could just show up and beat NYG.
I'm sure MM took them very seriously........The only mistake I see and I said it earlier, when Tynes lined up for the last FG..........MM should have called a TO to ice him, which he didon one of the other kicks. The guy had missed the previous 2, 1 which would have put his team in the SB, and this was going to be the most important kick he ever attempted........I'd have made him think about it a little more.
GB didnt lose that game.........they just got beat and sometimes that's the only explanation there is.
We played lousy. You take away Driver's 90 yard TD, and we had virtually no offense.
I would have called a time out too......."Eminem" said he thought about it, but thought Tynes was gonna miss the kick cause it was such a long one. But what good does keeping those timeouts, when that kick if made ends the game? Why NOT try to "ice" him?
Oh well........it's over. I'll still be "whining" till the SB is over.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SNAP said:
We played lousy. You take away Driver's 90 yard TD, and we had virtually no offense.
I would have called a time out too......."Eminem" said he thought about it, but thought Tynes was gonna miss the kick cause it was such a long one. But what good does keeping those timeouts, when that kick if made ends the game? Why NOT try to "ice" him?
Oh well........it's over. I'll still be "whining" till the SB is over.

Exactly.........MM should never have assumed that........even so.......call the TO he's got 3 of them...............MM should never be allowed to go to Graceland now.........lol

Lol........Listen, I'm still whinin' about our 39-38 loss to the Niners in January 2003.

joym13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree! My DH and friend were ragging on Al Harris all game, but thinking about it later - DH and I agreed that with no pass rush - what could Harris have done? DH also watched something that showed what a great defensive plan the Giants had for our 5 wide set. I said earlier - that people start giving the Giants credit - they were the best team in the NFC at the end of the season.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree! My DH and friend were ragging on Al Harris all game, but thinking about it later - DH and I agreed that with no pass rush - what could Harris have done? DH also watched something that showed what a great defensive plan the Giants had for our 5 wide set. I said earlier - that people start giving the Giants credit - they were the best team in the NFC at the end of the season.

That's the thing. I didn't believe that one bit until we played them.

I thought the Giants sucked and we'd walk all over them. Then when we actually played, I realized we weren't playing against the same team we played against in week 2. It was no walk in the park.

Instead, Coughlin had us completely figured out.

And yeah, Harris can't cover someone forever. If you give a QB that much time to throw, he's going to hurt you. Credit goes to their OL there because we did have a heck of a pass rush. They minimized it.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did your buddy, Trom...
(Where has he been these days, anyway. I miss him!)

I told you guys not to underestimate the Giants....

We didn't blitz enough...I don't know why they didn't try to pressure Eli more....

Oh well....*******...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joym13 said:

That's the thing. I didn't believe that one bit until we played them.

I thought the Giants sucked and we'd walk all over them. Then when we actually played, I realized we weren't playing against the same team we played against in week 2. It was no walk in the park.
Maybe "Central Park!" We got MUGGED!!!!! :lol:

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren't playing our game so Kudos the the Giants. I think we gave up on the run game even though it was probably more effective than all the low percentage passing plays we were making in the second half. On the interception in overtime I was actually calling for a run play. Man I wish I could have been correct on that one.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren't playing our game so Kudos the the Giants. I think we gave up on the run game even though it was probably more effective than all the low percentage passing plays we were making in the second half. On the interception in overtime I was actually calling for a run play. Man I wish I could have been correct on that one.
I know......but our run plays were getting nothing. So, we probably would have been in a 3rd and long anyway.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheKanataThrilla said:
I know......but our run plays were getting nothing. So, we probably would have been in a 3rd and long anyway.

Didn't we get 4 yards on the first run? This is why I was hoping for a second run to see if maybe Grant could bust one open. UGH!!!!

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we get 4 yards on the first run? This is why I was hoping for a second run to see if maybe Grant could bust one open. UGH!!!!

Don't remember, but I think our longest run was something like 10 or 11 yards. There were a lot of 2 yard runs that game, and I think Grant finished with something like 29 yards on 13 carries. We gave up on it because it was going nowhere. It was as if Coughlin knew exactly when we'd run and stuffed it (like that old game Techmo Bowl where you pick your opponent's play and they get nothing).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the game on video, and all I can do is tip my hat to the Giants--which is the same opinion I had as I left Lambeau Field.

The loss was a combination of many things. The people who ripped on Harris, Favre, and/or McCarthy all overstated their case. I also think that the weather was not really a huge factor. Both teams handled it fairly well.

If I was an impartial NFL fan I would've enjoyed this game very much. It was played at a high level.

Reaction score
I think you have to give the Giants coaching staff credit for having the game plan they had.

I've stated multiple times in other threads, the Giants did their homework, and the coaching staff definitely put the players in a position to make plays.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants did outplay Greenbay. To me I felt we had a great chance of winning the game up until we had the 3 penalties in a row on defense.I felt the game slip away at that point. Giants capatalized on those penalties. Even in overtime I was pretty sure we were going to loose the game. We deserved to loose. Giants were better prepared than Greenbay. This will give us some valuable playoff experience though. I guess that's something.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I just watched the game on video, and all I can do is tip my hat to the Giants--which is the same opinion I had as I left Lambeau Field.

The loss was a combination of many things. The people who ripped on Harris, Favre, and/or McCarthy all overstated their case. I also think that the weather was not really a huge factor. Both teams handled it fairly well.

If I was an impartial NFL fan I would've enjoyed this game very much. It was played at a high level.

Ok. Cool. You saw the same thing I did then so it's not just me.

The Giants were on that day. And for those who watched it again, I don't see how anyone can blame Harris, Favre, or McCarthy. The Giants executed perfectly and there was pretty much nothing we could have done in the 2nd half any better. they won because they dominated the 2nd half.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts