Here are 20 things the Packers don't need

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From JSOnline.com
Posted: July 12, 2006

After finishing with their worst record since 1991, the Green Bay Packers are feeling the pressure to dramatically improve as the new season begins, to prove that they are better than a 4-12 last-place finish suggests.

On paper, they don't look much different than last year's team. Maybe they can rebound and be competitive again. Maybe they can't.

One thing for sure: Here are 20 things they don't need.

1. Brett Favre's streak ends. Mr. Durability faces his toughest opponent in the first game. The Chicago Bears have put a bounty on No. 4. In last year's game at Soldier Field, Favre was hit more than a half-dozen times, sacked twice, intercepted twice, forced to fumble three times. "Oh man, he took a lot of good hits," Bears safety Mike Brown said. "He's going to be sore tomorrow, I guarantee you. But he'll start again next week." The Bears hope to finish him off when the teams meet in Lambeau Field Sept. 10. Without Favre, the Packers will be lucky to win three games.

2. Al Harris holds out. The Packers veteran safety did not attend any of the team's organized workouts because he is unhappy with his contract, and he has indicated he also will be a training camp no-show. It will be considerably easier for the Packers to win with Harris than without him. This could be a distraction that a team on a turn-around mission doesn't need.

3. Ted Thompson keeps 12 draft picks. Last year he kept 11. If the trend continues, the Packers will become a team comprised of first- or second-year players, and it doesn't help Favre. Once Favre was surrounded with experienced teammates and he could make risky throws. Now, his margin of error has regressed to zero if these young players don't improve.

4. Brad Childress out-coaches Mike McCarthy. The Packers wanted to talk to Childress about the head coaching job, but he skipped an interview in Green Bay to high-tail to Minnesota and take the Vikings' offer. He figured the future looked much better with the Vikings than with the Packers. If the Vikings handle the Packers this season like they did last year, Childress will know he made the right decision.

5. A slow start. This could start the head-scratching among the players and threaten McCarthy's ability to convince them his way works. The schedule is no help, opening with the Bears and the rebuilt New Orleans Saints at home and going on the road against the Lions and Eagles. While Green Bay could be an improved team, many questions and potential pitfalls remain in its path.

6. Ahman Green's comeback fails. Coming back from a serious leg injury, the team's workhorse running back could be on his last legs. If this is the case, the Packers really have no one to pick up the slack. They got pretty decent production out of free agent Samkon Gado last year, but they'll be lucky to get another, while Najeh Davenport tries his best to stay healthy.

7. Only one big-time receiver. If the team can't develop another wide receiver, Donald Driver will have to carry the load again. Driver has great body control and can make the acrobatic catch, but he's not a dangerous deep threat. And without complementary receivers, this is an offense that is going to have trouble scoring points.

8. Offensive line fails to jell. This was the case last season as the team couldn't find replacements for departed guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Both free agent Adrian Klemm and draftee Will Whitticker turned out to be flops. Now rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz enter training camp as the Packers' starting guards and with them, plus a new center, comes the infamous look-out block. "Look out, Brett, here they come!"

9. Inexperienced coaching shows. Not only is McCarthy a first-time head coach, but his coordinators, Jeff Jagodzinski on offense and Bob Sanders on defense are sitting in those chairs for the first time in their NFL careers.

10. Bubba Franks is maxed out. Entering his seventh year at Green Bay, the veteran tight end is coming off his worst season as a pro. More and more, Franks looks like a guy who had one dream year (2002 with 54 receptions and seven touchdowns) and is running out of gas.

11. Charles Woodson doesn't live up to expectations. The former Oakland Raiders cornerback suffered a season-ending broken right leg in the sixth game last year. Do you really think Al Davis would let a No. 1 draft choice go if he thought he could still play?

12. Favre self-destructs again. Quarterbacks in the West Coast offense should be throwing for high percentages and he didn't with a career-high 29 interceptions. Now the future Hall of Famer, who will turn 37 in October, must prove he can handle the job, show that he still has the magic in his arm.

13. Another career-ending injury. Injuries are part of football, but when rookie Terrence Murphy returned a kickoff against Carolina in the fourth game of the season he was nailed by a slamming helmet-to-helmet hit from the Panthers' Thomas Davis. Murphy suffered a spinal-cord injury and might never play again.

14. Woes on the road. This is a team that had a horrible time winning on the road, where the Packers won but one game. Included in the seven defeats was a late-season trip to Baltimore where the Packers were humiliated by the Ravens, 48-3, for all the nation to see on "Monday Night Football." This year's schedule includes trips to Detroit, Philadelphia, Miami, Buffalo, Minnesota, Seattle, San Francisco and Chicago.

15. Wanted: a place-kicker. How long will it take the Packers to find a capable replacement for departed Ryan Longwell, the team's all-time leading scorer? How in the world could they let Longwell go to the Vikings?

16. Darren Sharper celebrates. The former Packer will shimmy-shake after intercepting a Favre pass. It was Sharper who said he was surrounded by better players at Minnesota. "One thing I always notice is that when you play with scrubs, you look like a scrub," he said. "When you play with good players, you look like a good player, too."

17. Desperate for help. God help the Packers if they lose so many players to injuries again. Things got so desperate for bodies last December they called up a Florida bartender. Ryan Flinn, a free-agent punter, was signed off the street.

18. Pro Bowl no shows. The Pro Bowl is a good indication what opposing players and coaches - along with fans - think of your talent. For the first time in 12 years, not one Packer was chosen in 2005. To make matters worse, former Packers Sharper and Mike Wahle were selected as well as Matt Hasselbeck and Josh Bidwell.

19. 12th man shows up. It happened in Cincinnati last October. As Favre hurried the team at the line of scrimmage as the Packers were driving, the officials blew the whistle. Before Favre knew it, a drunken fan ran up and snatched the ball from his raised hand. On the next play, Favre was sacked for a 2-yard loss and with no time outs he chose to fake a spike and attempt a last-second TD play. The Packers lost, 21-14.

20. Packers lose nail-biters. At some point the Packers are going to have to learn how to win close games. Judging from the 2005 season, where they out-gained opponents in 12 of their 16 games, the Packers should be very worried about that. Moral victories should not even be considered. It's all about victories and losses, and 4-12 was exactly what they deserved.

Send e-mail to [email protected]

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i disagree about the pro bowl no shows...

that doesnt mean anything...its a popularity contest.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure was depressing. Most of the points are valid (and pretty darn obvious), but I am scratching my head at #5, about the tough schedule at the beginning of the season. The Bears are good, but the Saints, Lions, and Eagles were all below .500 last season, and it's not a sure thing that they will be any better.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. Ted Thompson keeps 12 draft picks. Last year he kept 11. If the trend continues, the Packers will become a team comprised of first- or second-year players, and it doesn't help Favre. Once Favre was surrounded with experienced teammates and he could make risky throws. Now, his margin of error has regressed to zero if these young players don't improve.

I think this is going to happen. I see at least 9 making it for sure and that's 20 1st and 2nd year players. It's great from a future standpoint but not a win now standpoint.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't see much I would disagree with. I would also add;

21. Losing the turnover battle. Pretty hard to win when you do that consistently.

22. Losing the field position battle. Without a good offense, you can't afford to be constantly giving up yards with poor special teams play.

23. Not generating any pass rush on opposing QBs, thus giving them all day to find open receivers. We may have the best CB's in the NFL, but give WRs enough time and they'll get open.

24. Players lose morale at some point during the season. If we do end up with a really young team, it'll be very important for the coaching staff to keep them inspired if things start going south. If not, things will go a lot farther south.

25. Losing home games. Lea mentioned away games, buit what really broke the teams back the last couple of years was losing at home.

26. Losing the fans. One thing GB teams have always been known for is the fans. But it got a little too common last year hearing the "boos" from the fans at home games. If this starts happening again this year if the team struggles out of the gate, GB will once again become the "purgatory" of the NFL.

JMHO.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
26. Losing the fans. One thing GB teams have always been known for is the fans. But it got a little too common last year hearing the "boos" from the fans at home games. If this starts happening again this year if the team struggles out of the gate, GB will once again become the "purgatory" of the NFL.

JMHO.

Packer Fan For Life No Matter How Bad They May Do!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Can't see much I would disagree with. I would also add;

21. Losing the turnover battle. Pretty hard to win when you do that consistently.

JMHO.

Yup! That is a killer for any team and it gets over looked far to often. That is why Favre's INTs out weighed his passing yardage.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of those ints Favre was just thinking hey are punter can come in.. naaa why have him shank one when i can throw it 80 yards down the field for an int, that way we have an excellent punt

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
Lare said:

JMHO.

Packer Fan For Life No Matter How Bad They May Do!

Packer fans never turn on they're team. #26 will never happen. Packer fans don't boo because they're hating the Pack. Packer fans boo out of frustration. We're not Philly fans... :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
Some of those ints Favre was just thinking hey are punter can come in.. naaa why have him shank one when i can throw it 80 yards down the field for an int, that way we have an excellent punt

I hope you're not serious. An interception usually gives the returner an open field, as there is no coverage team. And I seriously doubt that Favre was trying to "punt" at the end of the Philadelphia game, when he threw two passes in a row up for grabs, ending the Pack's chances of winning.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that the desperation toss started in the last play of the SB with Denver. I still contiue to scratch my head when it happens.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. 2 describes Al Harris as a veteran safety.

If he's playing safety instead of CB, we are in trouble.