Herd is pretty much spot on

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The broncos are a great example. They won a super bowl with a defense. Then they didn't even make the playoffs wth the same great defense. It's my ****ing point. It isn't easy and just because you do or don't have something does t tell the entire story.

And I'm not guessing that our week 1 offense is telling of what we'll be in December on offense Nor is a one game sample size indicative. Because the game before we scored how many against them?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The broncos are a great example. They won a super bowl with a defense. Then they didn't even make the playoffs wth the same great defense. It's my ******* point. It isn't easy and just because you do or don't have something does t tell the entire story.

And I'm not guessing that our week 1 offense is telling of what we'll be in December on offense Nor is a one game sample size indicative. Because the game before we scored how many against them?
In fairness, the Broncos weren't expecting Manning to fall off that fast and that rapidly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that, but we weren't expecting to lose an all pro Safety in the prime of his career, have a talented 1st round draft pick call her quits early, lose an all pro cornerback to concussion for a season and a half and then for good or have our best pass rusher suffer repeated hamstring and then shoulder injury after making a sizeable investment in him.

These things happen in football, they are part of the point, but they aren't the point i'm making. The point is, every team has to balance a team around their strength. The Packers happen to have Rodgers and built a team around him and it's a constant challenge to find that balance. Saying this team is only Rodgers is extremely short sighted. Take Von Miller off that Broncos team, what are they? Of course we're not a top 5 team without Rodgers. Even with Von Miller the Broncos weren't a playoff team, what do you think they'll be this year if he's not there?

And Cowherd did it in a week when where our strength was really shorthanded. There's a saying, you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Every team builds their team and because of all the variables, cap, roster spots, attrition, injuries, just bad days, etc if certain things don't play out a certain way, the odds they lose go way up. The Packers are no different than any other team.

It's a long season, let's see what happens. young guys can step up, other guys could get injured. The offense could roar to life in week 3 or week 6, or maybe it will flounder all over again. Our defense could come together, King might just get it, House might stay healthy and stay solid. Randall might be a route jumping beast in the slot if he just trusts his coaching and plays within the scheme and quits being so lazy thinking his skills will make up for it all the time. maybe our early season injuries are all out of the way early and the Dline becomes a force, or maybe the injuries are just a sign of things to come. I'm going to watch and find out. Cowherd doesn't have anything i need to read about this team as he exists for reasons I don't need in my life.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I understand that, but we weren't expecting to lose an all pro Safety in the prime of his career, have a talented 1st round draft pick call her quits early, lose an all pro cornerback to concussion for a season and a half and then for good or have our best pass rusher suffer repeated hamstring and then shoulder injury after making a sizeable investment in him.

These things happen in football, they are part of the point, but they aren't the point i'm making. The point is, every team has to balance a team around their strength. The Packers happen to have Rodgers and built a team around him and it's a constant challenge to find that balance. Saying this team is only Rodgers is extremely short sighted. Take Von Miller off that Broncos team, what are they? Of course we're not a top 5 team without Rodgers. Even with Von Miller the Broncos weren't a playoff team, what do you think they'll be this year if he's not there?

And Cowherd did it in a week when where our strength was really shorthanded. There's a saying, you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Every team builds their team and because of all the variables, cap, roster spots, attrition, injuries, just bad days, etc if certain things don't play out a certain way, the odds they lose go way up. The Packers are no different than any other team.

It's a long season, let's see what happens. young guys can step up, other guys could get injured. The offense could roar to life in week 3 or week 6, or maybe it will flounder all over again. Our defense could come together, King might just get it, House might stay healthy and stay solid. Randall might be a route jumping beast in the slot if he just trusts his coaching and plays within the scheme and quits being so lazy thinking his skills will make up for it all the time. maybe our early season injuries are all out of the way early and the Dline becomes a force, or maybe the injuries are just a sign of things to come. I'm going to watch and find out. Cowherd doesn't have anything i need to read about this team as he exists for reasons I don't need in my life.
Having all of the other parts, but not the quarterback is the toughest dilemma to have, obviously because the quarterback is the most important player on the field. I think even without Von Miller the Broncos defense is pretty damn good. It's like Seattle without Kam. They are still better than most, and plenty good enough to win you games.

It's not that without Rodgers we aren't a top 5 team. Without Rodgers, we aren't top 20. No other quarterback in football over the past 6 years could have drug this team to the playoffs.

I'm not at all worried about the offense, and I'm holding out hope on the defense.

But it is a fair criticism that the defense isn't currently where it needs to be for the Packers to win a Super Bowl. I also get what you are saying though about the cap and all the other stuff. But it doesn't help that it seems Thompson whiffed on two consecutive DB's in 2015 that are currently starters for our team.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I've got some hope with our rookies, namely King.

If the team stays focused all season and finds a way to snag the #1 seed, we could be in business.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I caught the show and I agree 100%. The way this teams roster is built...as far is the depth chart is the reason they stink on defense. They have at least 4 guys who are backups if they played anywhere else starting smh. Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Rollins, and Randall are all guys getting significant amount of playing time when they should be coming off the bench giving more talented players breaks.

aaronmm24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way that Eli Manning should have two Super Bowls and Aaron Rodgers 1. The Packers wouldn't have to put as much around Rodgers as the Giant's did Manning for Rodgers to win. Green Bay really doesn't have to do THAT much more. Which is the frustrating thing. Because they are somewhat on the edge of a super bowl every year. meaning they are a playoff team. Do what needs to be done to get them over the hump. I know Ted signed more guys this offseason and thats great. He did his job. However, who knows what was missed in a lot of wasted years since 2010.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd is a smart guy. You can tell this because he hired Kristine Leahy. So he gets to go to work everyday and look at her across the desk.

There is no way that Eli Manning should have two Super Bowls and Aaron Rodgers 1. The Packers wouldn't have to put as much around Rodgers as the Giant's did Manning for Rodgers to win. Green Bay really doesn't have to do THAT much more. Which is the frustrating thing. Because they are somewhat on the edge of a super bowl every year. meaning they are a playoff team. Do what needs to be done to get them over the hump. I know Ted signed more guys this offseason and thats great. He did his job. However, who knows what was missed in a lot of wasted years since 2010.
I agree with what you're saying. But considering how much Ted invested into the defense through the draft all those years, there has to be some level of incompetence at play also. Whether it be on Ted's part, or it's the defensive coaching staff failing to develop them. Somewhere.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's also no way the Packers should have lost that game to Seattle to get to that 2nd super bowl, yet the did. **** happens, even crazy things like a completely mediocre QB like Manning get any accolades for being marginal at best.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2010 team that won the Super Bowl had Nelson, Driver, Jennings, Matthews (in his prime), Woodson, and Nick Collins (the defense hasn't been the same since he left). So we've lost some star power.

The Broncos aren't the best example, because they won the Super Bowl season before last. Besides, their defense is good enough that they will dominate an elite offense. We like to think of our offense as elite, but when we play elite defenses, we don't dominate. More often than not, we get shut down. Like against Seattle last week, we only scored 17.

Exactly. Rodgers is good but he can only do so much. Playing and elite defense has always caused problems for McCarthys play calling...mix that with the fact he has a hard time adjusting mid game, that's the result. Had Seattle been at least solid on offense we'd be 0-2 no doubt about it.

aaronmm24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's also no way the Packers should have lost that game to Seattle to get to that 2nd super bowl, yet the did. **** happens, even crazy things like a completely mediocre QB like Manning get any accolades for being marginal at best.
Yeah they blew that game. Probably because of poor coaching and poor decision making. Which is another thing Rodgers covers up..

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The broncos are a great example. They won a super bowl with a defense. Then they didn't even make the playoffs wth the same great defense. It's my ******* point.
I hear what you're saying, I just mean that our offense has not been as dominant as Denver's defense has been. Especially in 2015 - their defense was good enough to get it done on their own. Our offense has not. And I don't care how good our offense is, that is no excuse to field a crap defense year after year.

I know Ted signed more guys this offseason and thats great. He did his job. However, who knows what was missed in a lot of wasted years since 2010.
Can you imagine what this team would have looked like if Ted had NOT gone outside his usual MO and signed some extra guys? I mean, they wouldn't be a dumpster fire, but yikes. Even with the extra guys he's signed, we still have some major areas of concern.

Members online

Latest posts