Helmet to Helmet

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The league could’ve defended that call if it went either way. Close call but the referee should be the deciding vote and I trust them in most cases.
That Hundley must have a hard head, he’s gotten killed out there repeatedly starting in MN and he just pops back up like a weeble wobble.

Of all the criticisms we had of him before the Steelers game, lack of toughness was not one of them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never heard of a "stuffing" rule in over two decades of watching football. When was that word added to the rulebook?

Allowing contact out of the pocket is one thing. Letting a linebacker rough the passer outside the tackle box is a different animal. I absolutely want to see that become a point of emphasis next season.
well I've been watching it for almost 4 and they didn't call it stuffing, that's apparently what it's called in the rules, but driving them into the ground was a point of emphasis sometime in the past decade. They kind of blend together for me now, so I couldn't tell you if it was 2005 or 2015 or somewhere in between exactly. I've seen it mentioned they can't pick them up and drive their shoulders into them, they have to fall off to the side especially if the ball has already been thrown. It hasn't been such a point of emphasis the past couple years, mostly because most defenders now aren't driving QB's into the ground but almost all of them give a shove or put their hands out at the side to help break their own fall, because they know they're probably getting a flag if they don't

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never heard of a "stuffing" rule in over two decades of watching football. When was that word added to the rulebook?

Allowing contact out of the pocket is one thing. Letting a linebacker rough the passer outside the tackle box is a different animal. I absolutely want to see that become a point of emphasis next season.
I had to go look and found this. Not a complete list, but looks like clarification of some rules in 2010 or 2012
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8823a/printable/leagues-official-player-safety-rules
4. Protection While Out of Pocket. When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule and the provision regarding low hits, but he remains covered by all other special protections afforded to a passer in the pocket. If a passer outside the pocket stops behind the line and clearly establishes a passing posture, he is covered by all of the special protections.

2. Stuffing the Passer. A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as "stuffing" a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for above. When tackling a passer who is in a virtually defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player's arms.

in my world 4 comes before 2 LOL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The league could’ve defended that call if it went either way. Close call but the referee should be the deciding vote and I trust them in most cases.
That Hundley must have a hard head, he’s gotten killed out there repeatedly starting in MN and he just pops back up like a weeble wobble.
I thought for sure he was coming out. it was pretty loud, which makes sense, because it was a pretty hard helmet to helmet hit. Watt knew he hit him there and was I think concerned to make sure he got up and about a flag too. Hundley looked like he got his bell rung and if that was the beginning of the game and not the end of a tight one, i'm pretty sure he would have been made to go get checked out. But with seconds left, they were letting it all play out.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule is very clear - at least to people who watched Cam Newton get hit last year and the controversial complaints about it. Dean Blandino explained once the QB is outside the tackle box, he loses all passer protections and is treated like a runner.
Hundley was in it. And you STILL missed the point. That's not how they have been routinely enforcing it and I provided 3 examples in very short order to demonstrate that. My point for the third and final time is that if they are going to make that call for Roethlisberger and whoever else, they need to extend it to everyone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So would you kindly explain to me why the official directly behind Barr, watching him the whole time, did not throw a flag? If I was the umpire, I would have thrown a flag whether it is legal or not to make those hits outside the pocket.
Ineptitude works for me.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember all those, but that is different. The contact with Rodgers was completely legal.

No, it wasn't. You're now arguing with the rule itself. Barr made no attempt not to put his full weight on Rodgers. He is REQUIRED to avoid exactly that, by the rule. Intent is not part of the equation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it wasn't. You're now arguing with the rule itself. Barr made no attempt not to put his full weight on Rodgers. He is REQUIRED to avoid exactly that, by the rule. Intent is not part of the equation.
You misunderstood what I wrote.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought for sure he was coming out. it was pretty loud, which makes sense, because it was a pretty hard helmet to helmet hit. Watt knew he hit him there and was I think concerned to make sure he got up and about a flag too. Hundley looked like he got his bell rung and if that was the beginning of the game and not the end of a tight one, i'm pretty sure he would have been made to go get checked out. But with seconds left, they were letting it all play out.

The NFL does not care how early or late in the game a QB gets his bell rung. Rules are rules, and they don't change in the fourth quarter.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley was in it. And you STILL missed the point. That's not how they have been routinely enforcing it and I provided 3 examples in very short order to demonstrate that. My point for the third and final time is that if they are going to make that call for Roethlisberger and whoever else, they need to extend it to everyone.

I was not disputing the inconsistency that happens. Of course officials should not care who the QB is when deciding whterh to throw flags or not and do it anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL does not care how early or late in the game a QB gets his bell rung. Rules are rules, and they don't change in the fourth quarter.
The rules never change, enforcement does. They change from first to 4th quarter they change from September games to December games.

Russell Wilson was made to leave just a couple weeks ago and he got hit mostly in the chest with the helmet coming up to the chin. Hundley took one directly to the head and you could hear the crack plain as day.

You said yourself officials aren't consistent.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rules never change, enforcement does. They change from first to 4th quarter they change from September games to December games.

Russell Wilson was made to leave just a couple weeks ago and he got hit mostly in the chest with the helmet coming up to the chin. Hundley took one directly to the head and you could hear the crack plain as day.

You said yourself officials aren't consistent.

It goes far beyond helmet collisions, but part of the problem is players being flagged for RTP when they tried to hit the quarterback's shoulder instead or did hit the shoulderpad first while others get away with flagrant hits.

Members online

Latest posts